Fish Friday Review Wrap-Up
For the last 6 Fridays we have brought you fast food reviews from the sea. The Lenten season is coming to a close so let’s get these fishy reviews ranked…here they are…from worst to first.
#6 Deep Sea Double from Checkers – GrubGrade: 4.75/10 (Poor)
- Pros– Compared to other fast food fish sandwiches, you get more for your money (2 for $5 for a limited time)
- Cons– Not much flavor in the fish except a little bitter taste. Lettuce wasn’t very fresh. High in calories and fat.
#5 BK Big Fish Sandwich from Burger King – GrubGrade: 5.50/10 (Mediocre)
- Pros– As advertised, BK’s”Big Fish” is big. Not too pricey at $3.09, especially for the size. The corn dusted bun fits the size of the fish patty well, preventing a mess of a meal. Decent tartar sauce.
- Cons– Bun is too dry. Fish patty is pretty bland. Limp lettuce. Bigger isn’t better when it isn’t the most appetizing fish sandwich in the fast food world.
#4 Filet-O-Fish from McDonald’s – GrubGrade: 6.00/10 (Average)
- Pros– I like the simple, soft steamed bun. Tasty tarter sauce with pickle relish. It’s a classic.
- Cons– Terrible value at $3.09. Seems to be getting smaller. Lower quality than Wendy’s Premium Fish Fillet Sandwich.
#3 Premium Fish Fillet Sandwich from Wendy’s – GrubGrade: 8.25/10 (Very Good)
- Pros– Great corn dusted bun holds in everything nicely. More filling and better quality than the McDonalds Filet-O-Fish sandwich. Good crunch to the fish patty. Includes fresh lettuce and tasty tartar sauce.
- Cons– A bit pricey for the sandwich alone at $3.69. Although the tartar sauce is tasty, there was just too much of it (this obviously is expected to vary from experience to experience). Might be a little awkward/messy if you are eating on the go as the bun will shed it’s dust and you’re bound to stain something.
#2 Butterfly Shrimp Tackle Box from Popeye’s – GrubGrade: 8.75/10 (Very Good)
- Pros– Delicious cajun spices on everything. Plump, flavorful shrimp. A lot of food for $4.99. Nice, sturdy, portable, ventilated box.
- Cons– Some shrimp have tails still on. Shrimp can be a tad over-breaded and spicier than others. Very fried, very greasy box of food. 860 calories and 49 grams of fat according to the Popeye’s website nutrition facts. A ton of fries, could have been replaced some with a couple extra shrimp although it would have increased the price.
#1 Fish Sandwich from Arby’s – GrubGrade: 8.75/10 (Very Good)
- Pros– Really good sized fish. Great bun. Nice thicker than normal breading. Best tasting fast food fish sandwich I’ve encountered so far. At a price of $2.99, it’s a better value than McD’s, BK and Wendy’s.
- Cons– Fish is too odd-shaped to fit the bun perfectly. Shredded lettuce could get messy.