Taco Bell Introduces Mobile Ordering App

Mobile ordering is happening everywhere.  Panda Express has it, Panera has it (and it’s awesome), and there are plans in the works for Subway and Dunkin’ Donuts.  Chipotle usually has a line of 30 people so I almost always use their app to order ahead of time and skip the line.  Before long, pre-ordering your fast food fix from your phone will be the norm.  Taco Bell just started their mobile ordering program this week.  If you go to TacoBell.com right now you’ll notice that their website has sort of gone dark.  Instead of browsing their site to figure out what your next meal might be, Taco Bell wants you to download their app instead.  iTunes link, Google Play link

Taco bell app pageThe mobile ordering app from Taco Bell lets you place your order and pay in advance.  Your order isn’t made until you arrive at your selected Taco Bell and via the app you choose to pick up in-store or drive-thru.  Your selected Taco Bell will know when you’ve arrived via the built-in GPS locator.

Taco Bell App 1The app is handy for those customized orders that might be a pain to relay through a drive-thru speaker.  Want to add pico de gallo and jalapeno peppers to your Cheesy Gordita Crunch DLT?  Just select Add-Ons and you’ve got a list of all the Taco Bell fixin’s to scroll through that you can select to customize your food.  Another cool perk for using the app is Freezes are currently priced at $1 (and not just during Happier Hour).  I took some screen shots of the app.  Check it out:

Taco Bell mobile 3 Taco bell mobile 2 Taco bell mobile 1From time to time the app will feature deals only available on the app and a loyalty program is in the works for 2015.  What’s your interest level on mobile ordering apps for fast food and fast casual restaurants?  Have you tried out any yet?  Tell us about your experience in the comments sections.

13 comments on “Taco Bell Introduces Mobile Ordering App

1. Chris says:

As a British person living in the US I think this is a great idea. My last trip to Taco Bell drive thru I had to repeat my order 6 times and the server still couldn’t understand me so he handed the headset to someone else. My order was still taken incorrectly but because I’m British, I just smiled and said thank you.

2. JJ says:

I like the idea of meal customization that the app provides. I’ve used it once and the drive-thru pickup button did not work so I was forced to go inside for pickup (not a big deal just an inconvenience). What I would like to see is the ability to add items on the side and/or the ability to substitute similar items without cost.

I’ve found the price can increase somewhat quickly with the additions. I look forward to the rewards program or the special offers available via the app.

3. Beefonstick says:

I dont see this saving much time since orders at taco bell get served almost instantly anyway. A loyalty program or coupons would be the only incentive for me.

4. Sheri says:

This is dumb! I frequently visit Taco Bell’s website to see what to get next, but I have nothing to put an app on. No smart phone, or I-pad. Not everyone has those things or can afford them. Taco Bell has alienated a lot of customers by making it app only. I don’t think I’ll be purchasing them ever again in the future.

• Sascha says:

I’m sure the website going black is only a temporary, promotional thing. There are way too many web-goers for something like that to be permanent.

• Ron Paul's Gums says:

If you can’t afford a $45/month phone plan you probably shouldn’t be spending money on fast food.

• Josh says:

“Not everyone has those things or can afford them. ” “Not everyone has those things or can afford them. ”

in 2014, someone who cannot afford a phone probably should not be spending their money on eating out. At the end of the day, you still have the same ordering options as you have always had at Taco Bell. This is just a nice addition for those of us who don’t live like it is still 1990.

• CopTiki says:

omg. you’re a moron, Sheri. please don’t “purchase” from Taco Bell ever again. or from anywhere else from that matter. people like you is why we should regulate the internet. you supposedly not having a smartphone is a good start, but we should take your computer away. it would make my job a lot easier.

5. Andre says:

For drive-thru customers, won’t this encourage people to stare at their phones (more) while driving? I thought the government and other agencies were trying to get drivers to keep their eyes on the road. If a driver has to wait to use it until safely entering the parking lot, wouldn’t it be easier just to pull up to the speaker? I could see it being useful if stuck in a 16 car drive-thru line, which I’ve seen a couple times, but most of the time that’s not the case. My local Bell rarely has more than a two car wait.

• TJ says:

Consider yourself lucky then. Mine averages at least 5-6 cars all the time, and the line moves pretty slowly. I’m sure it simply depends on the region.

6. DreSF says:

With coverage in the business news networks, I downloaded the app with great curiosity. What makes it different than reciting the order in-person or at the speakerbox? Pinpoint accuracy. The app was as slick as an paid app, and being able to modify the order (no beans on an item, extra onion on another, Fresca-style on soft tacos) was very much appreciated. The only quirk was the lobby was closed due to short-staffing and I just sent the order to inside pick-up, which I then had to get in the long line of cars in the drive-thru. As we arrived at the order screen, I mentioned that I sent the order, and it was read back to me with 100% accuracy. I did have to use a payment card, and wish it could option out for cash payment. I wonder when the payment method is charged, at the time of order or when it is sent to store? I do like that gift cards can be stored in-app; I can take advantage of my grocery store bonus points for gasoline cents-off when buying gift cards.

7. […] 42 of The Nosh Show we discuss a new potato bowl from KFC, Lay’s Dark Chocolate Covered Chips, Taco Bell’s mobile ordering app and a bunch more.  It’s a super-sized Nosh or Not episode so tune in to hear about the […]