GrubGrade’s Year in Review 2012: A Look at Some Popular Links from Last Year

Happy New Year!!!  It’s now 2013 and we’re looking forward to the new year with lots of tasty food news and reviews to keep you hungry over the next twelve months.  Here’s a month by month look back at some standout posts from 2012.  What was your most memorable grubbing moment from last year?  Let’s get this kicked off with January… The Darth Vador Burger showed us a creepy black bun. Chick-fil-A took all the fun out of chicken nuggets with the introduction of healthier Grilled Chicken Nuggets. I finally got around to writing a review on one of my favorite classic items at Taco Bell.

Cheesy Gordita Crunch

Cheesy Gordita Crunch

In February… We got some first impressions of the Bacon Shake at Jack in the Box.  I found some really great grub at O’Hare airport.  Taco Bell came out with something actually new and inventive with Doritos Locos Tacos.  Also in February, GrubGrade turned 3 years old.

Tortas Fronteras

Guacamole, salsa and chips at Tortas Fronteras

In March…  7-Eleven Spicy Big Bite gets super high praise from Chefprotoss.  Whoa… Doritos Locos Cheesy Gordita Crunch is magic.  I dug deep to explore the wonderful world of McDonald’s burger pricing.  Hamburger, Cheeseburger, McDouble and Double Cheeseburger all priced within 35-cents of one another

McDonald's Burgers

McDonald’s Hamburger, Cheeseburger, McDouble, Double Cheeseburger

In April… The onslaught of new BK menu items began.  I think we were among the first to post a review of the Bacon Sundae testing in Nashville Burger King locations.

Burger King Bacon Sundae

Burger King Bacon Sundae

In May…  Quiznos added a ton of stuff to their menu.  Taco Bell came out with Mountain Dew mixed with orange juice.  McDonald’s began testing the McCruncher.

Quiznos Chicken Milano Sub

Quiznos Chicken Milano Sub

In June… Subway Nachos made most of us laugh.  I had my first burger at Dairy Queen and it was excellent fast food.  Spicy Chicken McBites expanded the McBites line at McDonald’s.  I spotted alligator at the Popeyes test kitchen in Atlanta.  Popeyes teamed up with Zatarain’s for Zatarain’s Butterfly Shrimp… and Popeyes rarely disappoints me.

Subway Nachos

Oh Subway… what will you think of next?

In July… Dustin reviewed something called, “The Big Nasty”. I ate chapulines (grasshoppers). While in Austin, I tackled the Tipsy Texan.  The Cantina Bell Menu from Taco Bell tried to get all fancy on us.

Tipsy Texan

The Tipsy Texan at Franklin Barbecue

In August…  Wendy’s won in the category of “Best Fast Food Bacon” in our GrubGrade poll and it was a landslide victory.  Frosty Waffle Cones at Wendy’s were spotted.  The J.J. Gargantuan and I became acquainted.

JJ Gargantuan

The beast at Jimmy John’s: JJ Gargantuan

In September…  The return of KFC Chicken Littles was met with longing for the originals.  Sam reviewed Candy Corn Oreos.  We get word that a new Egg McMuffin is coming in 2013.  I really hated the Chicken, Apple & Cranberry Salad Wrap from BK.  Domino’s did their best Pizza Hut impression and came out with Pan Pizza so I reviewed it.

KFC Chicken Littles

KFC Chicken Littles

In October…  I went to Denny’s headquarters in South Carolina and sampled The Hobbit menu.  I still haven’t seen the movie for fear I’m going to hate it… but the Denny’s menu was good.  Cheese curds first timer thanks to A&W.  Erin reviewed the Wisconsin White Cheddar Whopper from Burger King.

Denny's Hobbit Menu

Mmmm… Gandalf’s Gobble Melt

In November… Taco Bell expanded its dessert menu. Stoners rejoiced at Jack’s Munchie Meal from Jack in the Box.

Jack's Munchie Meal from Jack Box

Jack’s Munchie Meal from Jack Box

In December…  You remember the last 31 days don’t you?  Mitchery discovered that Burger King Tacos still exist.  Taco Bell released Loaded Grillers.

BK Tacos

The elusive (to me) Burger King taco

So what do you think we’ll have in store for us in 2013?  Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos going nationwide seems like a no-brainer.  I’m looking forward to that one.  So have at it in the comments, thanks for being with us over the last 12 months and last 3+ years.  Happy New Year!!!

7 comments on “GrubGrade’s Year in Review 2012: A Look at Some Popular Links from Last Year

1. Ljay says:

Great year for GrubGrade Ryan – congrats to you and all the folks who participate here. Hands down one of the top blogs/sites for the industry.

2. JF says:

Happy New Year everyone.

I’m thinking 2013 will see more use of pork in FF / FC restaurants. We saw a little from BK and Hardee’s/Carl’s but I think there is a lot of potential there and only so much you can do with a burger or chicken (or with Taco Bell ingredients). But I will also go out on a limb and say Taco Bell will offer some kind of pork taco this year as well.

3. Sandy says:

Happy New Year to the very best food blog out there! You all do a great job, keep the reviews coming…

4. Sandy says:

Thanks for all the great reviews during 2012, best wishes for tne New Year to the Grub Grade group. You are the best blog out there, hands down!

5. Manavee says:

Speaking of the Denny’s The Hobbit menu…did you see this guy? Impressive.

6. Manavee says:

Here was the link for my above comment

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=36a_1357043468

7. Heidi says:

Go see The Hobbit. My husband is an avid fan of all of the books and he was afraid it would be a disappointment. We were both pleasantly surprised – good balance of action, humor, and emotion.
    I’ve enjoyed reading your blog over the past year. Looking forward to see what you bring in 2013!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.