Popeyes Cajun Style Turkey Returns for Another Season

The flash-fried Cajun Style Turkey is back at participating Popeyes locations through December.  $39.99 gets you the 9-13 lb. turkey which is “hand-rubbed and infused with Louisiana seasonings”.

Popeyes Cajun Turkey

20 comments on “Popeyes Cajun Style Turkey Returns for Another Season

1. JF says:

Has anyone tried one of these?

Honey Baked Ham used to have a deep fried cajun turkey and it was amazing. They still do a cajun turkey, but no longer deep fried.

2. Sascha says:

Sounds awfully delicious, but $40 is simply too much to spend on a bird.

• Theuresamaven says:

You must live at home too. The average price of a supermarket turkey is $20 to $50. $15 to have your turkey cooked for you is an amazingly cheap price.

• Robert says:

“You must live at home too. The average price of a supermarket turkey is $20 to $50.”

Live at home? What the eff are you talking about? And unless you’re shopping in Manhattan, you’re an idiot if you pay more than $15 for a turkey considering the sales around Thanksgiving. I got a 14-pounder this year for $6.85.

That being said, this is a fried turkey, so this isn’t that expensive. A gallon of peanut oil is expeeeensive.

• Theuresamaven says:

As you may have surmised Bob, I do live in Manhattan, the center of the universe, where everything is ridiculously priced, and where you may get your turkey for free if you spend $150 at your local supermarket. However, the prices of $20 to $50 are the national average. What happened? Is the price of your turkey so cheap because it fell off the back of a truck or something? You failed to tell us who will be cooking your turkey; if it is someone other than yourself ask them if they would pay $40 to have someone else prepare and cook their turkey dinner. While meal was pretty expensive I received: cooked 14 lb turkey; 2 quarts greens; 2 quarts macaroni and cheese; 2 quarts sweet potatoes; 1 regular sized sweet potato with pecan topping; 1 key lime pie; 1 dozen corn bread muffins that were so good that they were all eaten before dinner. The meal was amazing. One of my non cooking friends (she doesn’t; and I did not feel like it) got her turkey from Popeye’s, she and members of her family loved the turkey.

3. Matt says:

I really wish someone who has gotten this would comment on how it is. That’s an awfully steep price for a small 9-13lb bird

4. Stephen says:

Whatttt? Why would I pay $40 for a turkey from Popeyes when I could get a real turkey for that price or less? Some of the local Popeyes cook too much chicken and let it sit on the rack forever (yet strangely it still takes a long time to get your order of pre-cooked, sitting on the rack chicken), so why would I trust them to a holiday meal?

• Theuresamaven says:

Obviously someone else cooks your Thanksgiving turkeys for you. I just paid nearly $300 for a complete dinner (except the cranberry sauce) and you’re beefing about a turkey for forty buck? Cooking a turkey dinner is no fun. My friend purchased a cajun turkey from her local Popeye’s for $25. Cheapskate.

5. paul says:

I have purchased this several times. The taste is amazing. My wife doesn’t usually eat roasted turkey, but she loves this. It’s rubbed, injected with flavorings and flash deep fried, and then frozen. Comes wrapped in a thick plastic. It says you should reheat it with the plastic still on it, but if you do the skin will not be crispy. I believe it takes 1.5 hours to reheat @ 350. If I were cooking at home this year I would definitely get another.

6. Mike N. says:

$40 is actually cheap for a pre-fried bird. The Honey Baked Ham cajun turkey (not deep fried) is $50. My local butcher shop is doing deep fried turkeys for $7.49/lb with their standard roasted turkeys going for $3.99. You definately have to pay a premium for deep-fried.

7. Tanya says:

I have been purchased my turkey from Popeye’s for the past three years now, hands down it is by far the best turkey ever. It takes a fraction of the time to reheat, and it’s delicious, trust me!

8. Theuresamaven says:

… And one more thing … Most people that fry their own turkey usually wind up burning down their kitchens. I have already ordered a cajun turkey for Christmas.

9. snatchandgrab says:

Popeyes turkeys are very good. We ordered a couple for a luncheon at work a few years ago and I’ve been hooked every since. As far as the price, it’s cheaper than doing it yourself. The price of the turkey, oil, and the propane cost more.

10. Culinarylady says:

This was an amazing turkey – very moist with a great flavor. Not spicy or overpowering. Followed the simple heating directions. I’m already planning to use one for Christmas. Most of us are not turkey fans but this is exceptional and everyone wanted leftover turkey sandwiches.

11. Jason says:

Third year in a row we purchased it from Popeyes. It’s a real turkey and real delicious. All this company does is cook birds… so they know what they are doing! $40 is nothing to pay for simplicity and convenience. Amazingly good!

12. jo says:

I want a fried turkey for our christmas dinner and can’t find anyplace local but I did find a popeyes near me that had ONE left from Thanksgiving. I realize that they birds are cooked then later frozen but since it’s already been cooked, do you think it will still taste fresh a month later (when I’m sure they probably cooked it weeks before Thanksgiving)?

13. Rose says:

I’ve been purchasing Popeyes turkey for the last 4 years. I always get two and save for Christmas. The family and friends that come over for Christmas can’t believe it is Popeye’s. Cook right and you have a very tasteful and tender turkey.