Big King and BBQ Rib Sandwich featured at Burger King

New to the Burger King menu and available for a limited time is the Big Mac imitation called Big King.  I remember back in the 90’s when the Big King burger was featured, but it’s been off the menu for over a decade.  The Big King features two fire-grilled beef patties, topped with American cheese, iceberg lettuce, onions, pickles, and thousand island style dressing, on a toasted, sesame seed bun (there’s also that pesky middle piece).  I’m finding it hard to believe the nutrition numbers for this burger… I mean, only 18 grams of protein?  510 calories, 29 grams of fat, 38 grams of carbs, 780 milligrams of sodium, 8 grams of sugar, 18 grams of protein Big King from Burger KingAlso new to the BK menu is the BBQ Rib Sandwich.  Here’s another BK copycat of McDonald’s as the McDonald’s McRib is making appearances across the country for its annual spotlight.  Back in May I reviewed the Rib Sandwich from Burger King as a part of their seasonal menu.  There are a couple of differences between the summer release “Rib Sandwich” and this BBQ Rib Sandwich.  This version of the sandwich features a boneless rib patty, onions,  pickles, a sweet and spicy BBQ Sauce on a toasted sesame bun.  The Rib Sandwich from earlier this year is all the same except it didn’t have onions and was served on a toasted “artisan style” bun.  Whatever the case, the Rib Sandwich I had six months ago was surprisingly decent.  450 calories, 28 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbs, 930 milligrams of sodium, 9 grams of sugar, 19 grams of protein

BBQ Rib Sandwich from Burger King

28 comments on “Big King and BBQ Rib Sandwich featured at Burger King

1. Dave says:

I LOVED the Big King back when I had it many years ago. Much better than the Big Mac IMO. Only reason why I won’t try it again this time is because they only have two locations in this big city (unlike a bazillion McD’s locations), and are a pain in the ass to get to. 🙁 Anyway… ALL HAIL THE BIG KING!!

2. Matt says:

Wow, they’re not even trying to be subtle with this rip-off. I hope this is a different 1000 island compared to their “Stacker Sauce”, which I found to be utterly disgusting. Nothing compared to Big Mac Sauce.

3. Alex K. says:

It’s nice to see that Burger King is full of creative, innovative ideas.

4. Ric says:

Yeah, I remember the Big King too, much better than the Big Mac. I don’t think it had that middle bun back then though, just a double cheeseburger with the sauce. I also like the Rib Sandwich, but you gotta order it with extra sauce. They really skimp on the sauce, unlike the McRib which is drowned in it.

• Dave says:

You’re right! They didn’t have a middle bun way back then, probably because the two patties were VERY thick as I recall. Now if they’ve added a middle bun this time, I will bet you the patties are much thinner now than they were the first time around.

5. Wow, Burger King is really grasping at straws here. No wonder why they are the No. 3 burger franchise. McDonald’s sucks, and Wendy’s should be No. 1.

• BigBelly says:

if you look at stock gains for the year, Wendy’s is #1 by a long shot…

• thehottoddy23 says:

Glad other people like Wendy’s as every experience I’ve had with them over the past 3-4 years has been awful. Cold food, terrible fries, screwed-up orders- and this is at different Wendy’s, too. I seldom go to BK or Wendy’s (wonder why?) but I don’t find BK’s food to be as awful as many here think it is. Each to his/her own, of course. I’d try the Big King if there was a BK close by as it does look good. Huge fan of the Big Mac so it would be hard to screw something like this up. The rib sandwich isn’t my thing, though, regardless of where it’s from.

• Scrape says:

The BK’s here are so much better than McDs and Wendys. Wendys is REALLY expensive for mediocre fast food, the local franchisee doesn’t participate in the national pricing, and the food is always marginal. For almost the same price (maybe a dollar or two more at most), you can go to Five Guys, Elevation, Smash Burger, or many other of them fancier burger places. And they all have free refills on drinks. Wendy’s…not so.

• FA says:

Manhattan is notorious for not following national pricing. But at the right BK or McDonalds with a generic cup, drink away!

6. MP says:

Big King? RIP-OFF!! Price? I’d actually get one but knowing in reality it will be half the size of the advertisement pic & I always belch BK for 9+ hours. Faux 1000 Island Stacker sauce is really nasty, tho. There’s an off aftertaste.

7. Scrape says:

That “pesky” middle piece of bread is called the ‘club’, as is ‘club sangwich’.

And why not take off on the Big Mac. It isn’t all that original as the Gino’s Giant, among others, was around long before it; and McDs has recently introduced their version of The Whopper with the Deluxe Quarter Pounder. Yep, before the former Deluxe Angus, McDs hadn’t had a burger with lettuce, tomamto, onion, pickles, and especially mayonnaise…for a very long time (McDLT anybody?). So they offer each other’s burgers now. I might have to try it, as my BK actually seems to be better quality than my McDs now…which did not used to be the case.

8. […] blog reminds us that we haven’t seen this burger since in the 90s, and that the Big King has likely been off […]

9. Yeah Moy says:

There was a BK burger in the late 90’s called the King Supreme. It was a double cheeseburger, pickle, shredded lettuce, and special sauce. No middle bun. Can’t remember if it had onions. Used to be priced at 2 for $3. Boom.

10. Nick says:

The pickles look thicker than the actual meat patties on both sandwiches.

11. CB says:

Had both today and they were both disappointing. The only saving grace was the new rib sandwich was only $1.

12. MP says:

$3.69 for the Big King??? Seriously?! It’s just a cheap cheeseburger with one slice of cheese & 1000 Island! Wow. Just, wow.

13. FA says:

Big King’s McDonald’s ripoff or “homage” is right after Yahoo Mail’s ripoff of Gmail. At least with Burger King, there is a broad menu!

14. FA says:

Until they duplicate Big Mac special sauce, the original is still tops.

15. FA says:

What’s alarming is they can only get 18g protein from this thing.

16. Nick says:

I actually emailed BK a few years back asking to bring back the Big King/King Supreme. I loved it in the 90’s and it destroyed the Big Mac. And yes, it didn’t have the middle bun back then. It was still being sold in Canada until a few years ago too. I used to get it with bacon, and I pray it’s not the Stacker sauce. BK is weird. They wouldn’t let me add it to a double Whopper.

Now if they’d only go back to those longer, peppery chicken tenders they had back then, I’d be in heaven.

17. Tori says:

This burger was horrible and was 4.29 plus tax! The burger was super small, the sauce was not good at all! I love big macs and had big hopes for the big king. I am so disappointed. I like burger king burgers overall, this couldve been a winner.

18. Vertyvert says:

I liked the seasonal bk rib sandwich and I tried the BBQ rib Sammie today for $1. It’s my new BK go to

19. Adam Bomb says:

I ordered a Big King on a whim today. I rarely eat BK food, but I was in the neighborhood and hungry. It was pretty tasty, at least compared to a lot of BK’s offerings. Yes it’s basically a Big Mac rip-off, but the flame-grilled patties were a welcome twist. I’d eat it again.

20. FA says:

Fills your gut, definitely stops the growling. So good menu choice.