Spotted: McDonald’s Cheddar Bacon Onion Quarter Pounder

In the wake of the now retired Angus Third Pounders from McDonald’s, we’ve been treated to a new line of Quarter Pounders including the Bacon Habanero Ranch Quarter Pounder and the BLT Quarter Pounder.  The Cheddar Bacon Onion Angus Burger that was introduced last year was likely going to make an appearance in the smaller Quarter Pounder size at some point.  I spotted the Cheddar Bacon Onion (CBO) today in Maryland as the Cheddar Bacon Onion Quarter Pounder. With the Angus version, McDonald’s was still using its old lackluster hickory-smoked bacon.  Now that the superior Applewood-smoked bacon has replaced the old stuff, I’ll count that as a nice upgrade to this sandwich.  Also you’ll notice two slices of white cheddar instead of the one lost piece found with the Angus.

McDonald's Cheddar Bacon Onion Quarter PounderPriced at $4.39, the Cheddar Bacon Onion Quarter Pounder (680 calories) features a quarter pound of 100% beef topped by two slices of white cheddar cheese, thick-cut Applewood smoked bacon, caramelized grilled onions, and a creamy mustard sauce on a bakery-style bun.  Who still prefers the good ol’ classic?  You can also get the Cheddar Bacon Onion in grilled (530 calories) or crispy (690 calories) chicken sandwich style.

8 comments on “Spotted: McDonald’s Cheddar Bacon Onion Quarter Pounder

1. Lancaster says:

Glad to see the two slices of cheese. That and the patty are what make a QP a QP! Now they just need to repair the rest of the line.

2. Jamey says:

Off topic, McRib is back in SoCal!

3. FJ says:

I might be in the minority here. I never thought their angus burgers were any good. And their quarter pounders were worse, so can’t care much about this.

But the McRib has been here in CO since September, don’t think it was available elsewhere, but seems like it will be extended here. So will pick up another one or two.

I always thought their QP were pretty bad tasting, and adding the angus toppings didn’t make it much better. So for those of you that like the QP, you might enjoy this, but for me, Angus or QP, just never hit the mark. I am glad they got rid of the angus line, although, it they made all their burgers angus, I would not complain.

Sorry McDonalds. I used to love you as a kid, but pretty much can’t stomach any of your offerings. I am not saying they are bad, but with the fast casual places out there, JITB, CJ, etc. now near me, I just don’t see any menu offering you have that would want me to come back.

• TJ says:

I’ve hardly ever liked a burger from McDonald’s, they’re just all on the bland side. Well at least a premium burger, as you said there are just so many other good choices in an average town at that price point. To me, McDonald’s is good at their nuggets, fries, breakfast.. I like their niche stuff. “Niche” isn’t really the right word, I know, but they somehow do pretty good in those random areas while being unable to produce anything close to a great fast food burger.

4. Cali says:

I really like the CBO when they had it last time. I really miss the angus line as I got the mushroom and swiss every time I went to McDonalds! I agree with the poster above that these qp’s really need the two slices of cheese! Its not the same with one. I think what I liked the most about the CBO was the caramelized onions! Made it feel a little more high class for McDs.

5. Darius says:

McDonald’s and high class should NEVER be used in the same sentence.

6. Bunny says:

I enjoyed the CBO burger when it was out so I’ll be trying the quarter pound version.

7. Dusty says:

The ChowDownChamps created a CBO-enstein or a CBO-double-double just for fun (and bubble guts)