New Spring Menu at Burger King Includes Chipotle Whopper and Turkey Burger

Let’s all take a collective sigh of relief knowing that the parade of new menu items continue at Burger King.  What do you think of this business strategy?  It’s obvious that BK is all about quantity over quality in recent years.  If you’re looking for a big variety of grubbing options, Burger King has got you covered.  I’m just wondering how effective it will be to have a revolving door of choices this frequently.Burger King Stuffed BurgerIt was only five weeks ago that the new Bacon Gouda Breakfast Sandwich was released.  The Bacon Gouda was preceded by the Philly Original Chicken SandwichCheesy Tots, Molten Fudge Bites, the Avocado & Swiss Whopper… this is all in a matter of a few of months.  Whew, I’m overwhelmed.  Here’s a rundown of the dozen new additions starting today: Chipotle Whopper: Our new Chipotle WHOPPER® Sandwich is made with USDA Inspected fire-grilled ground beef, topped with thick-cut bacon, pepper jack cheese, spicy chipotle mayo, fresh-cut lettuce, ripe tomatoes and sweet Caramelized style onions, all on a toasted sesame seed bun. Also available as a WHOPPER JR.® Sandwich.

Chipotle TENDERCRISP® Chicken Sandwich: Made with perfectly seasoned, premium white meat chicken, this twist on the popular TENDERCRISP® Chicken Sandwich will thrill your taste buds thanks to the spicy chipotle mayo, sweet Caramelized style onions, thick-cut bacon, pepper jack cheese, ripe tomatoes and fresh-cut lettuce sandwiched between a warm, artisan-style bun. Also available as a wrap.BK Chipotle WhopperTurkey Burger: Satisfy your hunger with our new fire-grilled Turkey Burger topped with fresh-cut lettuce, sliced tomatoes, crisp red onions and mayo all served on a warm, artisan-style bun.

MorningStar Veggie Burger: Not just for vegetarians, our great tasting Veggie Burger is made with real vegetables and wholesome grains, beginning with a MorningStar Farms® Garden Veggie Patty and topped with fresh-cut lettuce, juicy tomatoes, red onions, ketchup and mayo all served on a toasted sesame seed bun.  (here’s the old one we reviewed in 2009)BK Turkey BurgerBacon Cheddar Stuffed Burger: A Mouthwatering USDA Inspected fire-grilled ground beef patty stuffed with hardwood smoked bacon and savory cheddar cheese, topped with fresh-cut lettuce, juicy tomatoes, ketchup, mayo and crispy onion rings all on a warm, artisan-style bun.

Loaded Tater Tots: A bite-sized snack that is sure to kick your meal up a notch! Enjoy warm fluffy potatoes filled with flavorful bacon and sweet onions on the inside, with a savory and crispy crumb coating on the outside. Available in eight, 10 or 12 piece servings. These LOADED TATER TOTS™ potatoes are great for sharing and are a savory complement to any meal.BK Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Burger Loaded TotsPina Colada Smoothie: Escape from the ordinary with the new Piña Colada Smoothie made with sweet pineapple, tropical coconut and blended with rich yogurt to create a light and classic flavor combination that will transport you to your favorite island destination. Each smoothie provides a full serving of fruit.BK SmoothieAlso new to the menu, Donut Holes and Lattes.  Lattes are $1 for a small size March 18-24.Burger King Donut Holes

20 comments on “New Spring Menu at Burger King Includes Chipotle Whopper and Turkey Burger

1. Alex K. says:

Rather than release a constant slew of products, they need to focus on the quality of what was originally on their menu. Burger King’s quality has dipped big time over the past few years

2. Jennifer says:

Wow. even the “dressed up” photo of the Chipotle Whopperr looks unappetizing…

3. Ned says:

The pictures look good. I’ll be looking forward to a coupon for the Chipotle Whooper.

4. MP says:

I hear what Alex K is saying – I’d rather BK only have 4 products if they did them properly. Focus & quality is the key; not quantity. BK doesn’t have McD’s reputation.

I want a decent, retro flame broiled non-microwaved fresh hot & juicy made-to-order Whopper for under $2; I don’t even need cheese on it. Everything else is just inedible & a joke. They cut corners so much on preparation & product it’s not even worth a dollar. It’s obvious those in charge are only in for the turn-key operation profit. There is zero quality control. You’re basically paying Burger King to heat up warehouse food. Bad warehouse food, at that – and the food will never look as good as it does in the advertisements.
    How I long for the days when Burger King’s bone dry crummy, chewy seat foam cushion consistency buns were their main flaw.

5. MP says:

I was going to say what was said in the previous review: that veggie crap is cooked in the meat crap.

6. Rusty Shackleford says:

That Chipotle Whopper sounds hopefully like the rodeo whopper I’ve heard urban legends of.. Will definitely try that. Haven’t seen anything promising from BK since the Steakhouse A1 burger and the Western BBQ thing they had last year that was sort of like a rodeo burger.

7. Scrape says:

I like the new product roll-outs and the seasonal burgers. Wendy’s has been doing it for years (I love bacon mushroom melt season), as does Hardees/Carl’s Junior (that new Jim Beam burger looks fantastic). The casual sit-down burger emporiums do the same like Red Robin, as does my favorite burrito palace. The nice thing is it gives the consumer something new to try where they might not stop in for the same old-same old. It also allows for the greater probability of stumbling upon a “hit” that they will end up keeping on the menu. The Doritos Loco Taco is a great example. I love to try much of the new stuff that comes out, and I will admit, it has gotten me in to my local BK just to try some new version of the Whopper, and I will be sampling the Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Burger soon. Luckily, I am blessed with good BKs ’round here.

8. Sam says:

Maybe we should just start copy/pasting our reviews of old Burger King products under the names of the new ones and see if anybody notices.

9. david g says:

What is the difference between the 2013 and 2009 veggie burger? The descriptions are identical aside from an adjective or two.

10. Erin L says:

Had the loaded tots this morning and they were pretty good actually. Definitely better than this round of cheesy tots they re-released.

11. Noodlez says:

Had the Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Burger today, wow what a let down. and so dry. So sad BK was pretty darn good a a few decades ago. I keep wondering when they can hit rock bottom but seems there is no bottom.

12. Ric says:

Tried the loaded tots and chipotle tendercrisp sandwich, both were amazing. I think the regular tendercrisp is the second best fast food chicken sandwich already (behind the spicy chiken from Wendy’s) so adding 2 slices of pepperjack cheese, 2 slices of bacon and chipotle sauce only makes it that much better. My only problem was the price, no single sandwich from a drive thru window should cost over $5, this one is $6.09.

13. Natalie says:

I had the chipotle whopper yesterday. My BK ran out of whopper patties and just put two regular size burger patties on the bun..but I guess that didn’t affect the taste. The chipotle mayo tasted good, but wasn’t at all spicy and I couldn’t detect much flavor from the onions. Overall it was just okay.

14. Sascha says:

Let’s not forget that BK has passed Wendy’s to reclaim 2nd place in the burger business, so maybe, these rollouts are working better than most of you want them to. And honestly, last year certainly brought some winners. The Carolina BBQ seemed like it was a big hit, the Italian (Tendercrisp, not Original) worked pretty well, as did the pesto. And for me personally, I felt they white cheddar was a better tasting cheese than McDonald’s. Of course, plenty of losers too, especially that disgusting looking Philly Chicken.

I think I will end up trying the Bacon Cheddar stuffed and probably those loaded tots.

• Robert says:

The Carolina whopper was delish. I bet the Chipotle tendercrisp will be awesome. Maybe not Angry Tendercrisp awesome, but still awesome. The quality is so spotty at BK, but I’ve never had a bad Tendercrisp. Great quality chicken.

15. Mitchery says:

I’m real hesitant on trying a turkey burger at a Burger King but everything else looks pretty damn good. Especially the chipotle items. I’m curious to see how long these items will be on the menu.

• Robert says:

Yeah, I know a lot of people that love turkey burgers, but I can’t recommend they try one here when I bet it’ll be a low seller and therefore will only get cooked once every 4 hours. Bleh.

16. Scrape says:

Tried the Bacon Cheddar Stuffed burger today, and the verdict…its okay. I think BK would be better served if the bacon and cheddar were not mixed into the burger patty itself, as it kind of gets lost when trying to compete with every thing else. Mine was also made incorrectly, as it seems like they put a BBQ sauce on there instead of mayo and ketchup. The onion rings also got lost in the mix flavor wise, but did add a nice texture to the whole package. Would I get it again? Probably not. It just isn’t as good as getting the regular Whopper, or the far-superior former White Cheddar Whopper.

17. tombones says:

This will upset the grub grumps here, but there are actually some winners in this new lineup. I’ve been skeptical of BK’s recent products, too– many have been flops (adding artificial maple flavoring to sweet potato fries is unforgivable, and the recent “avocado swiss whopper” tasted like actual garbage) but this time around it appears someone at headquarters actually tried the new food before rolling it out.

The loaded tots are a significant improvement on the cheesy tots they were selling for a few months. They’re still inedibly molten hot when you first get them, but once they cool down, they’re just about as savory & delectable as a loaded potato skin, in bite size nuggets. The bacon is less prominant than the promo pics would have you believe, but the flavor’s still there. These will make plenty of stoners happy, I expect.

The turkey burger isn’t anything to write home about, aside from the fact that it’s a surprisingly good turkey burger from a fastfood joint. Not nearly as bland as you’d expect, but not especially exciting, either. A nice healthy-ish alternative if you don’t want grilled chicken.

The chipotle (crispy) chicken, on the other hand, is one of the best fastfood sandwiches I’ve ever eaten, period. I was not expecting the chipotle sauce to offer as much flavor & heat as it does, and along with the jack cheese (the best cheese for sandwiches, sorry haters), suspiciously crispy bacon & surprisingly tasty onions mix together swimmingly, and it’s just a delight to eat. (Don’t get the wrap version, though- carmelized onions clash weirdly with tortilla)

Of course most of the ingredients are insanely processed & nowhere close to the quality you’d get from a real sandwich shop where everything’s fresh, but it’s hard to imagine better for fast food. Haven’t tried the whopper version yet, but if the chicken is any indication, they should keep this on the menu permanently.

The bacon cheddar stuffed burger wasn’t as impressive, but it’s still one of the better burgers I’ve tried at BK. Yes, the cheese & bacon aren’t as pronounced as they would be if they were on top of the patty instead of inside it, but it still tastes better than the standard whopper by far. They should just use these for all their burgers from now on. Wonder if I could get them to make a chipotle whopper with one. (sorry, cardiovascular system.)

I’ll be trying the veggie burger today. Don’t have high hopes, but if it’s at least as edible as the turkey, I’ll be impressed. Most of the complaints I’m seeing here about this lineup deal with quality vs. quantity. I think it’s more an issue of variety. For a while now the “big 3” burger chains haven’t been offering much new to get excited about. Plenty of remixes of the same old ingredients, but very little fastfood you haven’t tasted before. BK has broken from that trend, and while their experiments haven’t always been successful, at least they haven’t been boring. Now that they’ve actually created some food worth making repeat trips for, I’d call that experiment a success.

hope you enjoyed this essay about fastfood. why did i write this

18. C says:

I’ve been remarkably underwhelmed in recent years with BK’s offerings and quality. That said, the Chipotle Whopper is a little magic. Best thing they’ve done since the Bullseye burgers back in the 80’s. I love the smokiness of the mayo and the grilled onions really are a nice addition. My only real recommendation here is that you ask for the lettuce and tomato to be left off. They really get in the way of the other sandich components.