How Much Do You Pay for a Hot Dog?

I thought it was kind of crazy to see a deal at Sheetz the other day.  3 for $1 hot dogs.  It’s rare that you actually see food priced closely to around what it’s probably worth.  33-cents to top a hot dog is a steal I’d say.  I guess I’m too used to paying $4.00 for a hot dog at a ball game.  Yeah, I know it’s idiotic to pay $4.00 for a hot dog.

28 comments on “How Much Do You Pay for a Hot Dog?

1. Mehu says:

2 for 2.22 if they have buns and toppings where I go..

if I make them myself they are probably less than 3/1.00 after toppings if I buy the cheap ones

2. rob says:

Depends on how close to the expiration date the dogs are

3. Nick says:

There’s a reason they’re 3 for $0.99. They suck. They also charge $0.40 each for chili, cheese and jalapenos. You could get their cheaper 6 inch hoagies like a cold cut or meatball for $2, which are better than Subway.

Hell, the Sunoco down the street have 1/4lb Nathan’s beef dogs, those jalapeno/cheese sausages and kielbasa with free chili and cheese for a buck.

My favorite meal at Sheetz is a burger on a pretzel bun with garlic fries. Costs as much as Wendy’s, but much better and they have orange creamsicle slushies.

4. Crysta says:

Sam’s Club has a hot dog and drink combo for like, $1.75. Onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, and sauerkraut are free. And it’s a Nathan’s hot dog too.

5. Keith says:

But what are Sheetz hot dogs made out of? I know, I’ve had them, and they’re actually pretty good for convenience store hot dogs. Then again, I’m not sure I’ve ever had them sober.

I’ve switched over to the Chicago dog they have at Sonic now (I know, blaspheme to any real Chicagoan but it’s the best we can get in the northeast) but those are like 2 bucks per dog.

I just don’t think Sheetz could meet his price point if their hot dogs were all-beef, which is pretty much where I draw the line these days on hot dogs. But even the price of Nathan’s in the grocery store has gone up a bit.

Ryan, since you’re in Maryland, I thought I’d share a Serious Eats link I saw yesterday about the “craziest MLB hot dogs.” Camden Yards got on their twice: Polock Johnnies topped with special sauce and fried onions, and Stuggy’s which recently opened a second location in the stadium (the original is in Fell’s Point). I’m going to try to hit a couple of both Orioles and Nationals games this year, and I’ll be sure to check these out.

The Rangers sell a two-foot long hot dog called “The Boomstick” that sells for $26!

• Scrape says:

But paying $8 or more for Polock Johnnies is just criminal. Just go there. I always get the regular Oriole Dogs at the food stand or bring around to you, which are Esskays. For ball park dogs, they are huge and are a really good value. Let alone they are fantastic dogs to begin with. These aren’t your overboiled an anemic tube meat wrapped in foil for that cold and damp bun situation. Esskays are all I buy now since I can’t get Hoffman’s from Syracuse here.

• Keith says:

Wow, Polock Johnnies are 8 bucks? They’re just hot dogs with onion sauce in a regular old bun. Ballpark prices are nuts, I’m sure they’re cheaper at other locations.

6. Tony says:

I’d pay around 1$ but it has to have toppings. 😡

7. Bob in Texas says:

I paid 50 cents at IKEA the other day. Regular dog…no frills. The best deal to me is the Costco $1.50 dog. Its a quarter pound and you can get saurkraut for free. They also have 2 mustards, ketchup, relish and a onion grinder.

8. TJ says:

I don’t think it’s idiotic to pay $4 for a hot dog, as long as it’s somewhere like a game… it’s not like you have many other options if that’s what you want.

I’m a Wienerschnitzel fan, with coupons you can usually get chili dogs for about a buck a piece. When it comes to making them myself, I agree with Mehu, if you wait for a good sale you can get them at a really cheap price.

9. maynardb61 says:

I’d say you got a bargain, assuming the wieners were quality.

10. Chefprotoss says:

Sheetz dogs are awful. 3 for a buck is a rip off. Their fries pwn but their sandwiches are really bad too. I’m not a fan of Sheetz if you couldn’t tell.

11. Stephen says:

The only time I’ll pay more than $2 is at Hot Dougs, but that’s higher quality. Maybe if I get a chili cheese dog is when I’m feeling like a high roller

12. Sascha says:

I only but dogs at one place locally, and I get two Coney Dogs with great fries and a drink for $3.49. And they’re Koegel Dogs, the local (Michigan) favorite.

We have a Class A Minor League team in town that does $1 hot dogs (as well as sodas and ice cream sandwiches) at every Thursday home game, and they also have a great dog, footlong at least, for $4.50.

But, the best dogs are still store bought. Just today, I got 2 packs of Nathan’s bun length all beef dogs for $2.39 each.

13. Rusty Shackleford says:

Five Guys has great hotdogs, like their burgers. Unfortunately, while I still feel fine with paying for their burgers that some may say are overpriced, the hotdogs are just absolutely overpriced. It’s of the best I can easily get in my area, but the price is so steep that getting like 2 or 3 that I would need to actually feel satiated would be more than a double bacon burger with unlimited toppings. So, while good, I usually pass on them, especially when the burgers are so good..
    Anyway, a lot of SouthEastern places have hole in the wall hotdog places that are fantastic. If you’ve never had a slaw dog, or a scramble dog, you’re missing out. Plus, they actually cost the price they’re worth.

• John says:

Oh man, the scrambled dog. I’m not sure it exists outside of about 6 or 7 states in the SE. Luckily I reside in one of those.

Steamed bun, topped with 2 dogs, chili, cheese, slaw, oyster crackers, and optional onions.

Mine gets a liberal dash of black pepper and Cajun Chef hot sauce as well…

Well, I know what’s for lunch!

14. Jesse says:

But the question is, do they give you the sheetz?

15. Jim says:

In this area of East Tennessee, there is a gas station/convenience store called KenJo markets.

They have dogs 2 for $2. No extra charge for condiments and have most items. I have not tried them but my daughter says they are good and they have good chili.

16. Debbie says:

Why can’t they be 25¢?

17. weinerman says:

That IS funny.

18. wibia says:

Never heard of Sheetz. Costco for $1.50 with a drink. Hard to beat and a tasty dogs. Nice garlicy burps for a few hours after.

19. maxchain says:

Shoot, I’m lucky to find ’em 2/$2 out here. If I ever find a Sheetz with semi parking, I’ll take them up on that.

20. allbeefdogfan says:

Seeing every ones comments really make me wanna do a stadium tour and try the dogs you mention. I have had Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, N.Y., Washington Stadium Dogs as well as plenty of other states during my military career but I never noticed any big special type of dog but then again it seems these are a newer standard with todays fans because back in the day going to game with your dad meant a simple dog, cracker jacks, popcorn and a couple sodas and oat sodas for dad. After seeing how most hotdogs are made I only buy all beef dogs like Nathans for at home use but if at a game I am fine with a simple dog with some kraut or even better with chopped tomato and onion like wisconsin and chicago. Now to the point of this article I have had the Sheetz 3 for a buck recently. 2 for me 1 for mom and I let her pick the toppings. We went with kraut, onions and relish and they were surprising to say the least. My mom is not a hotdog fan and she enjoyed them a lot and I was pleased with them too. You cant beat that price of 3 for a buck now a days but Nathans at home with bun and onions, kraut, tomato cost about .75c-1.50$ each.

21. wenkie says:

Looks like I’m not the only one that prefers Nathans over any other Supermarket bought dog. And over 90% of what you buy at a weiner joint.

22. Reviewscout says:

One freaking dollar for a plain hot dog bought at 7-11, given I’m smart about quality and if it kicks my arse in under twenty minutes I could be grateful for paying only *one* US Dollar.

23. coneydog says:

New Castle Pa has Coney Island and they make the best chili dog you’ll ever know. Check ‘ em out