Food News: Burger King to Introduce ‘Healthy’ Kids Breakfast
On Wednesday, Burger King announced that it will begin offering a new kids meal menu option for breakfast. The new BK breakfast kids meal will feature a Breakfast Muffin Sandwich, fresh apple fries and apple juice. The meal will be in stores on July 26th, and is being suggested at a retail price of $3.38.
Here’s more info:
The new BK Kids Breakfast Muffin Sandwich features egg and a slice of American cheese, served on an English muffin. When served with BK Fresh Apple Fries and apple juice, the complete meal provides a nutritionally balanced meal with an all-natural, high-quality source of protein from the egg, a half-cup serving of fresh fruit, and is an “excellent source” of calcium and a “good source” of potassium.
BK’s nutrition criteria for advertised kids’ meals:
- No more than 560 calories per meal
- Less than 30 percent of calories from fat
- Less than 10 percent of calories from saturated fat
- No added trans fats
- No more than 10 percent of calories from added sugars
- No more than 600 milligrams of sodium
- A “good source” or “excellent source” of at least two of the following nutrients: calcium, fiber, potassium, magnesium, vitamin E.
Sounds pretty good, especially for someone like me who still regularly orders off of kids menu. Heck, just last week I ordered a Happy Meal from McDonald’s. I wonder if they’ll let me sub a small coffee or the apple juice?