New Ribeye Burgers from Jack in the Box

Thanks to GrubGrade reader/frequent commenter BigBelly for sending over his first impressions of the new Ribeye Burger from Jack in the Box.  This looks to be a test item and it was found in Sacramento, CA.  Ribeye Burgers Jack BoxThere are two choices, the All-American Ribeye Burger and the Havarti & Grilled Onion Ribeye Burger.  Priced at $5.29.   We’ll keep you posted on a wider release.

It comes in two varieties, the “All American” with spring mix and tomatoes, or a Havarti and grilled onions version (which also came with tomatoes) Both are on a potato bun that was nice and fresh, the grilled onions were soft, but still had a little snap to them, so they offered some texture as well as taste. There was some type of brown sauce on it that had a slight bbq taste and joined in the party. I find Havarti cheese to be pretty bland, and this didn’t change that opinion, but it does melt and hold everything together well. The Ribeye patty had a nice flavor, decent effort overall.

20 comments on “New Ribeye Burgers from Jack in the Box

1. Devin H. says:

I just saw a commercial for this last night. I remember it because I thought it was weird that they were bringing out a new burger so soon after the last one. I guess it makes sense if they’re just testing it. I guess they must be testing it here in Texas as well.

2. M-Logan says:

I’m not an expert on cuts of meat – oh man just had a Letterman flashback to “know your cuts of meat” – where does ribeye fall in relation to sirloin? Better or worse? I’d go for the Havarti version, hold the tomato, the vile fruit.

• doctorx0079 says:

Ribeye makes much better burgers than sirloin since ribeye has a lot more fat.

• Bubbsy says:

Depends on what you mean by “better”…. Sirloin as a steak is leaner and is generally the ‘economy’ steak on the menu, but the lean cut would certainly not lend itself well to a burger unless the grind has added fat mixed in. Ribeye has more marbled fat, is more tender, and would generally be more desirable as a steak for that reason. I suppose it would make a delicious burger but would seem to be a waste of a good steak to just grind it up like you would chuck, most people wouldn’t taste a difference in their burger if side-by-side compared ribeye and sirloin and chuck with the same fat content & seasoning (though you would certainly be able to tell the difference between them as steaks).

3. Stevo says:

If it’s all ground up, I don’t know that it matters what cut of meat is used. Marbling & tenderness aren’t factors in a hamburger.

4. Rc says:

Doctorx0079
    When entering a conversation by using a link to make your point you should at least have the link go to something specific to the subject at hand. That is the most generic link you could have sent anybody to from chicken to pork to tofu; you name it, it had nothing to do with the burger being discussed nor the cut of meat. Please spare us all with your inane linking.

• doctorx0079 says:

It’s quite simple. The cut of meat DOES make a BIG difference in the quality of your burger. The Food Lab tested it. Kenji doesn’t exactly use ribeye but he uses short rib. I’d be curious about a ribeye burger if there was a JitB near me. Don’t just say, “oh, no one can tell the difference”. I think it would be worth comparing the ribeye burger to the other JitB burgers which I think are made with ground chuck.

• Bubbsy says:

Sure Kenji needed content for an article so he experimented & elaborated on whether ground oxtail has a palate profile that leans more towards nutty than grassy. But we’re talking cheeseburgers here. If you had a ground patty of 80/20 (beef to fat) ribeye, and a patty of 80/20 chuck, they would be nearly indistinguishable from each other if ground with the same fat content, and served as a cheeseburger on a bun. I get the idea that well-marbled meat ground up is different than lean meat ground up with added fat… but in the end it’s silly to insist that that you’d be able to tell which was which in a blind cheeseburger taste test.

5. Dlopez says:

So I just had the havarti & grilled onion ribeye burger minus the tomatos and I added the mixed lettuce and red onions that were in the all American rib eye… and let me just tell you that was AMAZING!!! Definitely on the top of my list for fast food burgers didn’t need anything else the sauce in the haverti and grilled onion burger was just right for the juiciness of the entire burger.

6. alicia says:

who was the actress that repeated the ribeye idea back to jakc at the end of the commercial

7. James says:

Your all talking chit. I’ve had them 4 times now. And their hella good. End of story.

8. BigBelly says:

Looks like these are out everywhere now, website shows the two versions pictured, but the ad that just played here had a bacon & blue cheese model

9. DeeDee says:

I’ve just ordered one and there is a sour vinegar-tasting brown sauce all over it. They should have skipped that. All I can taste is the stupid sauce.