New Jalapeño Fresco Spicy Chicken Sandwich and Ghost Pepper Fries from Wendy’s

GrubGrade reader Sascha let me know of the new Jalapeño Fresco Spicy Chicken Sandwich and new Ghost Pepper Fries spotted in Michigan.  I checked the Wendy’s website… nothing.  I checked my local Wendy’s in Maryland… jackpot.

Jalapeno Fresco Wendy'sI wasn’t able to pick up the products today so I’m a little short on details.  What I do know is that the Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken Sandwich features a spicy chicken fillet, ghost pepper sauce and fresh jalapeños.  In Maryland, the sandwich is priced at $5.49, while the Ghost Pepper Fries are $2.89.  Prices vary of course… the Michigan menu board shows the sandwich at $5.29 and the Ghost Pepper Fries at just $1.99.  You can upgrade any combo with Ghost Pepper Fries for 50 cents.  Do you have these new items at your local Wendy’s?  Let us know in the comments.  UPDATE: Read our review of the Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken Sandwich

39 comments on “New Jalapeño Fresco Spicy Chicken Sandwich and Ghost Pepper Fries from Wendy’s

1. Matt says:

They need a burger version of this.

2. Snackeroo says:

I really love how all these fast food joints have been embracing the jalapeño recently. My favorite flavor!

3. Jay says:

Just had one of these in Fairfax, VA. It was pretty good! The heat was a steady buildup; it felt like honest to god real heat, rather than a cheap punch of spice powder followed by nothing. It was topped with a white/yellow cheese and a bunch of chopped bits that I thought were green onions at first but I think were actually jalapeno pieces. It all worked really well together, although it was a bit messy.

Not sure how well a burger version would’ve worked; part of the charm was the textural contrast the crunchy chicken provided.

The nice gentleman who served us came over and made some small talk; even though I told him I thought the heat was just right, he kept trying to tell me if I wanted less heat I could opt for the grilled chicken breast. That’s good to know, but it’s a bit late to tell me that halfway through my sandwich.

4. Bob Smith says:

Are either of these actually hot, or is it the usual wimpy mass market version of hot?

• Ted says:

While I do share your sentiment, I doubt we’ll ever get literal ghost pepper fries (though maybe they put enough jalapenos in the sandwich?).

• James e. says:

I’m eating them right now, its definitely not hot-hot but it is a bit spicier than the normal mass market hot I think.

• kristen says:

Yeah they are I’ve tried them I work at Wendy’s in Oregon Ohio and the heat builds up and is the perfect amount of hottness and if you want to tone it down try grilled or home style I’ve only tried the spicy but I’m sure the others would be just as good.

• bugmenot says:

They are not hot at all.

5. scram says:

I had this today. It was awesome. It was very flavorful, and the heat was just right. This is what a spicy sandwich should be–a nice amount of heat and spiciness that doesn’t overpower all the flavorful components in it. It also has onion on it, and I thought it added a nice extra dimension to the ghost pepper sauce and fresh cut jalapenos. Some people will gripe that it’s not mind-numbing hot, because the ghost pepper is supposed to be one of the hottest peppers, and the sauce here is not. I’m glad the sauce isn’t a scorcher. It was perfect to me. I didn’t look at what kind of cheese was on it, but I think it was pepper jack (I don’t know). I’ll probably have it again for lunch tomorrow.

6. Alek says:

I noticed ghost peppers are now becoming a new trend.

7. DerangedHermit says:

The fries were $1.99 and the sandwich was $5.69 (!) on Long Island. The ghost pepper fries were worth it…but even though the sandwich was good, it’s not $5.69 good (hence why I’ve gone to just getting Spicy Chicken Go Wraps instead of the sandwich, barring any coupons)

8. Rusty Shackleford says:

Man I want to try dumping some Wendy’s chili on those fries. Agree with the other comment about wanting that sandwich in burger form; not really big on Wendy’s chicken.

• JoeyF says:

Wendy’s Spicy Chicken fillet is one of the best fast food chicken sandwiches out there. It’s right up there with Chik Fil A quality wise.

• x says:

Seriously, Wendy’s Spicy Chicken is amazing and if they ever mess with the recipe, someone will pay for it.

• scram says:

I actually prefer Wendy’s spicy chicken over ChickFilA’s. I think ChickFilA has the best chicken sandwich out there, but I think they missed the mark with their spicy chicken. It’s all heat heat not a lot of flavor. While I don’t like their spicy chicken sandwich, I do really enjoy their spicy chicken biscuit. The buttery biscuit adds flavor to the chicken, which is what is missing in my opinion

9. Tol says:

Too bad their fries always suck an the sandwiches r always overpriced.. That combo for $8 or 2 whoppers for $4 w/coupon… Let me think….

• TJ says:

Yes, but Burger King sucks. Every single one I have eaten at over the past 3 years has been a horrible experience. Every Wendy’s has been a big hit.

10. Brian says:

Had one of these the other day and it was loaded with fresh chopped jalapenos…loved it. Good amount of the ghost pepper sauce but it wasn’t too spicy…more heat came from the jalapenos in mine. My bun seemed a little odd though, almost like it was whole wheat…would rather have had the one that normally comes with their chicken sandwich. Overall a great spicy sandwich offering…better than all these other things they claim are spicy and they barely are.

11. karubah says:

We have the fresco chicken sandwich and ghost pepper fries at our Wendy’s here in Indianapolis, IN.

On another note they are still giving kids the Jamie Foxx Orphan Annie movie reboot toys still. When was that movie in theaters?

12. popwar says:

Had this today, the spicy filet version, really damn good, good heat too .

13. Mike S says:

This name reminds me of their turkey frescatta sandwich years ago, I actually really liked those. I know I’m in the minority.

14. David Suttle says:

As a Wendy’s employee I have had the chance to sample both prior to.my store releasing the items. As stated above by one user the heat has a steady build up with each bite. I will be pushing the sandwich and the fries as soon as we release them in our store. If a burger is your puragative then i know it will be a nominal upcharge fee for the 4oz patty but we cpuld make it happen.

15. Jonathan Wayne says:

Ghost pepper is the most overrated thing ever. Buddy of mine owns a restaurant and gave me a plastic ramekin of the sauce and I tried it and it was hot but not that hot. Maybe you have to eat the actual pepper? Regardless, I did not care for the taste that much, not even that I would put it on anything I would eat.

• JJ says:

It’s mainly marketing. If they put chopped ghost peppers on it, it would be virtually inedible. Ghost peppers are just stupid hot, but don’t have much flavor. That’s why jalapenos are better on a sandwich (or almost anything else).

• ahecht says:

I’ll wait for the Carolina Reaper sandwich.

16. Rusty Shackleford says:

had the fries today, they were good. Had heat when you got bites with the diced peppers, and even if not, the cheese tastes like it had a little bit of heat as well with flecks of what I guess we’re spicy seasoning. Added a few spoonfuls of chili after I sampled it as in and it was great. Would only be better if I had made sure they gave me some of the hot chili seasoning…

17. Chuck says:

I was able to try this the other night. It is a 10, outside of the price of course, but well worth it.

18. Matt says:

Had both of these in the last week or so. I really REALLY liked the sandwich, but thought the fries were disgusting. The flavor on them was just so bad, and I ended up throwing them out less than halfway through.

19. Jason W. says:

Had the “Ghost Pepper” Fries today, and I use quotation marks because these fries weren’t really that spicy at all. A typical nachos plate with jalapenos is spicier. $2.19 in Tucson, AZ.

20. JCIZUNIT says:

Live in Northwest NJ. Just bought it and about to dive into the sandwich. Cost $8 plus $1 for large drink/fries upgrade. So for $9 for a Chicken Sandwich, Large Fry and Drink no matter how good the sandwich is, I probably will just stick to a one time try.

21. Pepperjoe says:

Tried the fresco chicken sandwich and ghost pepper fries today here in Austin, Texas. Chicken was tasty, hot and freshly made. If those items are supposed to be hot, then I must have burned out my palate at a few of our local Tex-Mex restaurants or maybe at the Austin Chronicle’s Hot Sauce Festival. Ghost Pepper anything should leave you panting,sweating and/or hiccuping if it’s for real !

22. Sal says:

I loved it! Tastes amazing perfect amount of hot! I’m going to eat this everyday!