New Bacon Clubhouse from McDonald’s

Spotted by GrubGrade reader Justin in southwest Michigan, it’s the new Bacon Clubhouse from McDonald’s.  The Bacon Clubhouse features a quarter pound of beef, a new soft artisan roll, caramelized grilled onions, applewood-smoked bacon, white cheddar, leaf lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and a special sauce.  Justin says it’s awesome, and in his personal opinion, the best McDonald’s burger.

Bacon Clubhouse McDonald'sThe bun really looks similar to the soft steamed bun used on the Filet-O-Fish and Justin says the Bacon Clubhouse soft artisan bun is like that, but denser.  Apparently the “special sauce” makes the Bacon Clubhouse taste like a grown up Big Mac.  The Bacon Clubhouse is priced at $4.69 and clocks in at 720 calories.  You can opt for the premium chicken version of the sandwich for $4.89 with grilled chicken setting you back 590 calories and crispy at 750 calories.  We’ll keep you posted on a future national release.

Bacon Clubhouse McDonalds

39 comments on “New Bacon Clubhouse from McDonald’s

1. Looks like Wendys is really driving the fast food burger narrative now. This definitely sounds like something they’d put out.

2. Roger C. says:

They lost me at carmelized onions. I hated that stuff on another burger they had.

3. Scrape says:

Didn’t see it when I went to my local Thursday. Anyway, just about anything they slap on the quarter pounder is a disappointment. The downfall, of course, is the quarter pounder patty. It’s really not all that good. They should bring back the Angus burgers for stuff like this, and maybe just replace the patties in the regular quarter pounder with that. There is no comparison between the two.

• Jay says:

Lipstick on a pig. Until they go back to serving freshly cooked burgers instead if these dried out precooked discs, they can put all the window dressing they want on it and it’s all just lipstick on a pig.

Mcdonalds is getting left in the dust by nearly every burger chain these days when it comes to this issue. Hardee’s, Wendy’s, steak and shake, five guys…they’re all serving a better fresher burger.

• Parrot says:

I knew many people that worked at McDonald’s. This goes back over 20 years ago. They never had freshly cooked burgers. They were pre-cooked and sat in a metal contained full of hot water (it was boiling earlier in the day).

Then they heat it up a bit more (i.e. microwave) before serving it.

Not sure what you are comparing it too, unless you go back more than 20 years, but it has been that way since. Always taste the same, doesn’t matter what state you are in or what you get.

Same crap.

• Jay says:

35 years actually ;-)….I worked there back in the day and the food was actually pretty good.

If other FF places are still cooking to order or at least reasonably close to the time you order, why can’t mcdonalds? Their food quality is just terrible.

Yesterday I tried the mighty wings for the first time. They parked me while they cooked my wings. I was more then happy to wait and it was the best product I’ve had from mcdonalds since I had a freshly cooked filet o fish in the 90’s

• ahecht says:

McDonalds switched to the “Made for You” system in 1999 (so about 25 years ago). The “Made for You” system has all individual hot ingredients precooked and stored in steam trays. It’s also when they replaced the open grill with the clamshell grills.

However, before the new system they would just pre-make the sandwiches and have them sitting wrapped in the warming bin. When I was little I would always make mine a custom order (mayo on the side, or something like that) so that I would get one that had been freshly grilled. That trick doesn’t work any more.

• jay says:

Yes, they were cooked and then sat in a bin (except of course for “grill” orders like yours). BUT, they were cooked fresh and placed on a dressed bun, and wrapped. So compared to the current process of holding them bunless, the sandwich stayed fresher tasting for a longer period of time. You actually could unwrap a 10 minute old burger and there was juice, grease, and moisture that would be generally associated with a fresh cooked burger.

• sam says:

You are very very wrong. Our burgers are cooked on a clamshell grill and are placed in a Universal Heating Cabinet (uhc) for a period of 15 minutes for reg meat and 30 for quarter. After that they are counted and thrown out. We do not microwave ANYTHING. And all McDonald’s go by the same universal procedure.

• jay says:

“for a period of 15 minutes for reg meat and 30 for quarter”

ALLEGEDLY sam….allegedly. ;-)

(and a clamshell grill is what? like a big george foreman grill i’m guessing?

• yb says:

McDonald’s is the number 1 restaurant If u don’t like it don’t eat there

• Jay says:

LMAO – Number one? That’s what you have? Number one server of dumbed down poorly made food imo. But since you bring it up, what exactly are the metrics you’ve decided to use to proclaim them number 1?

Let’s take a look at the numbers…now don’t get upset snowflake.

Number 1 consumer choice? Not even close. They finished 97 out of 100 in that category.

Number one in sales per store? Nope. Chik-Fil-A is kicking their ass.

Number one in total stores? Sorry, Subway has them beat.

So total dollars generated worldwide seems to be behind your proclamation (if you actually knew that number)? Of course, Comcast is the largest cable company in the US and they suck too (according to just about every “worst” list of customer service).

• Sascha says:

It’s easy to beat McDonald’s in sales per store if you’re Chik Fil A or any number smaller scale restaurants. I mean, think of a region, any region. If there’s a Chik fil A there, that means there are like between 3-6 McDonald’s in very near vicinity. So, while the CFA is standing there making a very nice $3 million in sales, the five close by Mc’D’s are all making $2 million +.

And yeah, Subway has twice as many stores, only to make a third of the sales.

It’s obvious what yb meant when he said #1, total sales. Considering that BK and Wendy’s don’t make half the annual sales as McDonald’s, that’s a pretty safe statement.

Get over yourself.

4. BigBelly says:

sounds delicious, as a burger, or chicken

5. BigBelly says:

hope they do it as a wrap too!

6. Marge Stillfield says:

Unfortunately, while this burger looks awesome, the sad truth is that the lettuce will look nothing like the fresh, crisp, ruffly leaves pictured here; the burger itself will be salty and sad; and the bun will either be too bready/dense or in some way “off.” A shame, too, because the grilled onions are good (see the grilled onion cheddar burger). Oh, oops, I almost forgot. You know why the onions are good? Added sugar. The world is heading for the abyss.

• Branson says:

Actually, I just are one. It looked like it did in the picture. The lettuce was green bright and crisp. This is the best burger I’ve ever had at McDonald’s.

7. Jonathan Wayne says:

Does not look bad, looks like a step in the right direction. I wish they would bring back the mushroom and swiss Angus snack wraps, those things were great.

8. James S says:

Yippie….another bacon sandwich using their crappy bacon. I know they said they switched to better/thicker apple-smoked bacon, but it’s still overcooked under a bacon press, most of the time not properly drained. I wish I could order a lot of these sandwiches w/o bacon and get a discount.

9. JF says:

The chicken version sounds good. Aside from the Big Mac, never liked any of their burgers, not even their Angus line, so really can’t see the burger version being any good.

10. Raul says:

This had already been tested in South Florida last year.The burger was pretty good.In the burger I received,the special sauce was the same one used by the Big Mac.Honestly,I hope this becomes a permanent item at McDonald’s.The burger was really good,and I think it deserves a spot in the menu.

11. nilladutches says:

Hey Marge. Calm down. The lettuce looks pretty good in the picture of the actual product. It’s obviously a nice romaine lettuce.

12. Ray says:

I came across a McD’s coupon book for central PA that has various coupons for existing items that are valid 2/25 to 3/30. The book also has a “Bonus Coupon” for the Clubhouse Bacon Burger that is valid 3/12 to 3/30. Obviously, this implies it will be available by 3/12 at the latest. Looking forward to trying this as I’m a big fan of the grilled onions.

13. […] new “soft artisan roll” and is also available with a grilled or fried chicken patty. A GrubGrade reviewer called the Bacon Clubhouse “the best McDonald’s burger” and noted that the […]

14. The Emperor says:

I honestly believe that the reason that limited edition items are so often met with limited success here in the United States as opposed to abroad is because US food service workers are too stupid to embrace the necessary change. Seriously. Their limited intelligence and laziness disallows them from ‘turning on a dime’ and quickly learning new techniques.

It took three visits to Burger King for them to properly construct a Big King when it was recently introduced. Their first attempt had three pieces of bread, one tiny beef patty and no cheese. Believe me, some of these fast food workers aren’t too swift…

• Roger C. says:

Um, no, I disagree. I’ve never had any problems. Blame bad management for not doing their jobs. However, I do agree that American workers are terrible and often uneducated, unprepared for the working world. I’d blame our bad schools for that. The whole system is just screwed. It’s more about the money than creating a stable, safe learning environment. That’s why the kids aren’t learning anything and don’t understand how to be good employees. They run the schools. That’s wrong.

15. […] new “soft artisan roll” and is also available with a grilled or fried chicken patty. A GrubGrade reviewer called the Bacon Clubhouse “the best McDonald’s burger” and noted that the […]

16. […] Big Mac special sauce. Served on our artisan roll.” The sandwich was initially tipped on the GrubGrade site, which reports it is offered at $4.69. It joins the menu March […]

17. […] can be ordered with crispy or grilled chicken. The sandwich was initially tipped on the GrubGrade site.  The sandwich is priced at $4.39 to $4.69 and officially joins the menu March […]

18. Sascha says:

I’ve now had all three (no, not all at once, relax), gotta love BOGO’s. Anyway, came away very impressed, but I would say the grilled versions worked best with this combination.

I first at the crispy chicken version, and it was very good, except the tomato. I felt it overpowering and a bit mushy, so when I tried the other two, I kept the tomato off. The burger is what it is, I have no problem with McDonald’s quarter pounders. I’m not expecting high end gourmet stuff here, and I wasn’t disappointed. It was real good, but the grilled chicken was where this sandwich came together the best. It worked best with the special sauce and the bacon, the only problem I encountered was trying to keep it from sliding off the bun, not a problem with the crispy chicken, and nor really with the burger either.

And the buns are delicious. This is one of the best offerings from McDonald’s in a long time.

• Jay says:

sascha said – “It’s easy to beat McDonald’s in sales per store if you’re Chik Fil A or any number smaller scale restaurants. I mean, think of a region, any region. If there’s a Chik fil A there, that means there are like between 3-6 McDonald’s in very near vicinity. So, while the CFA is standing there making a very nice $3 million in sales, the five close by Mc’D’s are all making $2 million ”

You can’t ignore McDonalds standing of 97th out of 100 in a consumers preference poll. McDonald’s has been around for a long time and this sandwich, like many others that have come and gone, will not make or break their reputation. It’s long-standing, well deserved, and not very good at this point in time.

To those of us who started dining at McDonalds in the late 60’s, most of the current offerings are just poor because of their process whether you wish to believe that or not.

For those interested in real facts, I’ve pasted their results below. Food quality and Likely to Return are funny numbers. Consumers polled generally agree that their food is terrible (28.2%)..but they will return. So my guess would be convenience and price (Value at 57.6) probably are the determining factors even though the consensus is that the quality is very poor. It doesn’t take a genius to see that they are on a bad path regardless of their current sales volume.

Rank 97
      Overall Score 39.30%
      Food Quality 28.20%
      Value 57.60%
      Cleanliness 34.40%
      Service 33.00%
      Menu Variety 42.60%
      Reputation 44.30%
      Atmosphere 24.30%
      Craveability 42.60%
      Likely to Recommend 43.70%
      Likely to Return 62.90%

19. Anonymous says:

[…] I plan to try this out soon. GrubGrade | New Bacon Clubhouse from McDonald’s […]

• Sascha says:

“Shooting from the hip with your bs conjecture instead of doing any real research or possessing any real knowledge about the subject is easy but that doesn’t make it fact.
      The fact of the matter is chick fil a doesnt have the total reach because they have been a regional company for a very long time BUT they have areas where they out number mcdonalds, especially in what has been traditionally their home region. So your 3-6 mcdonalds to 1 chik fil a scenario is utter bs as usual.”

Facts are facts. I can’t go into small towns and find a CFA. CFA business model is similar to Culver’s (another top end sales per unit chain, where I once worked at) in that the market has to be large enough to support a restaurant, or be on a business highway exit.

Meanwhile, every little one traffic light town in the country has a McDonald’s. Some of these stores make very little in annual sales (less than $1 million), so for McDonald’s to still come 2nd overall in sales per unit is pretty damn amazing.

The fact of the matter is there are 12,500 MORE McDonald’s in the country than CFA’s, so please, find me these markets in which CFA’s outnumber McD’s.

“On your second post, the “review” of the sandwich in it’s various forms, the issue is not whether expectations for this product are “high end gourmet”. It’s about the process of putting out a quality product which clearly, to many with reasonable expectations, McDonalds tends to fall short.”

Quality is all subjective, and overall I don’t even disagree too much with those quality numbers. McDonald’s never seems to be my choice when I need a snack, only when the kids are along, otherwise you’ll generally find me at Rally’s for the value or Culver’s for the quality.

But, I think some of these numbers are skewed, because it’s easy and popular to hate McDonald’s because they are the undisputed king of fast food, like it’s easy to hate the Yankees.

I’ve found a couple of staples at McD’s that I consider good, like this sandwich, the McWraps and the Mighty Wings and I stand by those.

So, my response in the first place was obvious. yb said McDonald’s is #1, which they are, to the tune of 3 to 1 over #2 Subway. To which you felt like replying a bunch of ways in which they are not #1, which is like saying, to revive that Yankee example “Sure, New York has twice as many titles as anyone else, but they didn’t lead in home runs or ERA.” Big deal.

Got it?

Good.

• Jay says:

Here’s what I got. Even when confronted with undeniable facts (oh no, not those pesky things), you selectively choose the pieces you want and ignore the rest to fit your argument. As the saying goes Sascha, you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

I won’t rehash the facts about cfa growth (largely regional until just recently) or discuss their expansion business model (since I’m not privy to inside information which apparently you feel you possess).

“But, I think some of these numbers are skewed,”

Once again, you choose to ignore the facts. You’re one of those touchy feely guys aren’t you.

” To which you felt like replying a bunch of ways in which they are not #1, ”

Claims to be number 1 or best are a dime a dozen. I was pointing out to yb that there are 101 ways to make that claim. What exactly was he claiming? I thought my post was obvious but I’ll try to be more precise in the future for those who might be confused. My apologies Captain.

And finally, I’ve done the work on locations. If you’re trying to make a point you should too. Otherwise, you’re just telling me how you feel which holds no water in a discussion of facts.

Lifetime Sox fan. Love the Yankees. That alone throws a wrench into your whole argument ;-)

20. Sascha says:

Your points were made, and your responses obvious, and repeated, ad-nauseum at this point. By the way, great job coming up with the markets were CFA’s outnumber McD’s.

I said from the get-go, that yb’s point was obvious. McDonald’s is #1, and they are that by a 3-1 margin over #2. Pointing out ways in which they are not #1 doesn’t take that away.

Do I prefer CFA over McD’s? You betcha! But the nearest is 145 miles from my house. How many Mickey D’s do you reckon are closer than 145 miles from my house? Well, for starters there are 25 within 22 miles.

21. Kyle says:

Had this burger…and it was pretty much the best fast food burger I have ever had. Yes, I have had Culver’s (worked there for 2 years back in High School), yes I have had In-and-Out, Whataburger, etc. This burger was incredible. The Wendy’s Pretzel Bun Bacon burger they had last year was the fast food burger that was overtaken by this thing. Never thought I would actually enjoy a McDonadl’s burger, but I did with this one.

Also, a co-worker of mine who is a semi-McDonald’s hater, had the chicken version of this burger, and has been ranting and raving about it all around the office. And as even the most ardent McDons fan knows, in today’s current health/food landscape, eating at McDonald’s is so taboo, and even if you do eat there, you are never supposed to admit it. Jim Gaffigan does a great stand up bit on this, and it is soo true. “Hey, what are you doing here? (at McDs)”. “Um…just stopping to go to the bathroom”. HAHA.

But you have to support the biggest purchaser of blueberries, apples, tomatoes, and lettuce, and creepy yellow/red clown suits in the world, right?! (i.e. McDonalds).

22. SMJ says:

I just ate this, mine actually looked very close to the picture on the box from my local McDonalds in MN, it was surprisingly good! I was impressed!