New Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy’s

GrubGrade reader Kevin spotted the new Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy’s in Vancouver.  This burger should be hitting Wendy’s locations nationwide in the coming weeks.  The Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger features a beef patty, applewood smoked bacon, roasted chopped tomatoes, creamy rosemary garlic aioli, spring mix, and Asiago cheese on a toasted ciabatta bun.

Wendys Ciabatta Bacon CheeseburgerFirst impressions from Kevin, “… this was pretty bad. I didn’t like how sloppy it was to eat. The bacon and the cheese are lost and the bun felt too big/dense. Mine didn’t come with the lettuce/greens that’s in the picture. Also it was $5.59, why?”

Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger Wendys

32 comments on “New Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy’s

1. Shan says:

That looks sad.

2. Matt says:

Looks like the same bun that they used on those deli sandwiches a few years back…i liked them but I could see the reader’s issue with how well they would be suited for a burger. I actually thought it sounded good before reading the comments and seeing the pic

3. JoeyF says:

What about the Bacon Gouda Cheeseburger? It looks better than this mess for sure. I’ll still try it though

4. Bekah says:

Oh, how sad. I also thought it sounded and looked good until the review and that sad picture.

5. Scrape says:

Wendy’s has gotten WAAAAAAY to expensive for a fast food burger joint. It is at or above the prices of “upscale” joints like Five Guys or Smashburger, and you get less food for the money. I hardly ever go to Wendy’s even though it is the closest thing to m office. I just don’t feel like spending almost $9 for a SMALL combo with no free refill on the drinks.

• Ray says:

Strangely, the Wendy’s near me will give me an entirely new cup if I go to the counter to get a refill. They will not reuse the cup that I already have nor have they denied me the new “refill”.

I agree with everything else you said. I really like Wendy’s food but can’t stand paying 7 or 8 dollars for a fast food combo.

• Raiders757 says:

All of our local Wendy’s have switched to the new Coke Freestyle machines, so you can get your own refill. Used to hate having to get a refill from the counter.

…and yes, Wendy’s has become rather pricey. I wouldn’t say Five Guys pricey, but they’re not far behind. Combos are in the mid seven dollar range in my neck of the woods.

6. Tony says:

That looks gross. All bun and probably hard to boot

7. Sascha says:

I still think it could, and will, be good. That was just a poorly made example. Of course, it’s all hit and miss, so who knows? It’s nice of Wendy’s to finally let one cheese stand on it’s own, instead of adding an unnecessary cheese sauce.

8. Dannielle says:

The ciabatta sandwiches they had in the past were my favorite thing ever at Wendys. But that price tag is ridiculous, I might as well to a fast casual joint with much better food for those prices.

• Justin H says:

I remember the very first time that Wendy’s experimented with ciabatta bread years ago. The bread was the hardest thing Ive ever tried to eat that was called bread. My teeth couldnt even bite through the bread. It turned me off ciabatta for years until I recently tried a sandwich from a real deli.

9. MR. Gnarly says:

Nation wide,In Canada? Everything is more expensive in Canada.

10. Jonathan Wayne says:

There is a certain price-point where you can go get a real, fresh burger and these big chain fast food places just don’t get it. I haven’t really eaten at any of the major fast food chains in quite sometime now, have not had Wendy’s in at least 4-5 months. If I go to MCDs it is for one of the premium McWraps and even then that it rare.

11. rob says:

$5.59 has the whole world gone mad?

12. Daniel Delgado says:

I work for wendys and we got to try it yesterday(01/14/14) and it was delicious it didn’t look nothing like the picture you took if this picture is true is a eploye issue not wendys but it was the best sandwich i have ever try also about the price remember is 100% beef you paying money for top excellent great quality food wether is serve/cook rite is upto the managers and employers to do it rite i say this not only because i work there but because working there i see how different and see how much better is then the competition so if you want cheap go to taco bell wich is not even real beef lol

• Sascha says:

Sure, you pay extra for quality meat, but the meat is of better quality at places like Hardee’s and Culver’s, but for a similar price you get a bigger, better sandwich.

13. thehottoddy23 says:

I was just reading an article about Wendy’s high/low price points paying off for them in terms of quarterly financial gains. Some of you may have seen it on BurgerBusiness, another favorite site of mine. That being said, I’m glad to see some comments about pricing at fast food joints. For the most part, many products (combos especially) have become WAY too expensive in the past few years. Like others have stated, you can go to a fast-casual, and in some cases a half-way decent sit down restaurant, and get better food for the same price or something close to it. In many cases you get more food, too. Throw on top of all that, the service at fast food restaurants is still beyond awful. Screwed-up orders, slow service, cold food… the list is practically endless. Wendy’s, from my recent yet infrequent visits, has some of the worst service around. I’m sure it is probably “my” Wendy’s to a certain extent, but regardless I think their service sucks, their products are very average and it is definitely too expensive for what it is. Now I see this thing and seriously it makes me laugh. What exactly causes this thing to be the price that it is? The bun? Yeah, that cost an extra 1.4 cents to make in all likelihood. I’ll pass, just like I usually do on Wendy’s crappy products.

• Roger says:

Hey, also read that same article about Wendys profit from the high-low “barbell” pricing. But whether it’s Wendys, McD or anyone pricing like this, using my own terms, it’s the Value Menu vs the No Way Menu. To try a new item they need to have a real special or good coupon. BTW, on the cost front, I’m wondering how soon Hardees Six Dollar Burger will also cost $6? Then maybe they’ll have to rename it the $10 Burger to buy some time.

14. JoeyF says:

You guys must have some bad Wendy’s, our local ones are almost as good of service as Chick-Fil-A. The prices may be higher than they used to be but the small combo is usually around $7-8 for the premium sandwiches in my area. If you go to a “sit down” restaurant you have to tip also and it ends up being $12-14 in my experience. We have a local burger place called David’s that is awesome but its $10 for single burger, fries, and drink. Add bacon or extra patty and its almost $12.

15. Frederick Ma says:

In comment of Joey F.:

I would not waste the time and effort to go down to Bellingham to my nearest Chick-Fil-A for a Southern Fried Chicken Sandwich that cost US$7-8. Even though their service may be great. I would not want to risk eating that hormone-laden American chicken breast.

16. Because_racecar says:

I loved those ciabatta deli sandwiches they had a few years ago!

I like Wendy’s but their price doesn’t match the portion sizes. It’s also hit or miss with them. I inadvertently went the other day during their BOGO free chili day, they watered that chili down so badly it wasn’t even funny!

On a side note, was traveling this weekend & went to the “Burger Barn.” Boyfriend and I got 2 bacon cheeseburgers & a large fry for $7.72. We were both cracking up that we wouldn’t have blinked an eye if they would have said it was $17.72. And it was damn good!

17. silvercharm says:

I just ate this sandwich! It actually wasn’t too bad. I got a double, so the ratio of meat to bun was pretty well balanced. The cheese was very flavorful, but the aioli gets kind of lost and the tomatoes somehow came out really oily. The spring mix was a nice touch.

18. Justin ST says:

I just had this burger today in Michigan. It was $4.89 for the 1/4 lb version. It’s the best burger I’ve ever had at Wendy’s since the Monterey Ranch Chicken Sandwich that seems to have all but disappeared. Ok, I guess I meant sandwich, but whatever. Definitely recommended. There’s a 1/2 lb version as well. I definitely didn’t regret spending the money.

19. Frederick Ma says:

Here in Canada all restaurant meals are charged a Federal GST – which is a VAT – of 5%. Groceries are exempt. But processed meals like ready-made sandwiches bought at Safeway are charged A GST. Certain goods and services are charged a 5% PST by the Province of BC. The Province of Ontario has an %8 PST which is not as high as Washington State’s very high 9.5% Sales Tax in King County.

20. Frederick Ma says:

To Reply to Justin F.’s comment:

I was just saying that U.S. $7-8 is quite steep to go to Chik-fil-A to get a lousy Southern-Fried American Chicken Breast sandwich which is probably laden with hormones. So far that crazy Chik-fil-A has not crossed the border. I would suspect that the chicken they use may be feed with GMO-grain.

21. Megan says:

I absolutely loved this sandwich. I usually stick to eating chicken sandwiches if I’m eating fast-food, but I liked the sound of the tomatoes, garlic aioli, greens and bun. A little messy, but many times burgers/sandwiches are anyways! The flavor was delicious, the bacon crispy, and my tomatoes and greenery were fresh. I hope this sticks around- otherwise, it’s back to chicken!

22. […] Megan on New Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger from Wendy’s […]