What’s the New Crust Coming to Pizza Hut on January 16th?

Without an official press release from Pizza Hut as to what the new crust coming January 16th is, I’m going to rely on a couple of comments from GrubGrade readers and run with it.  I’ve read similar comments to the ones below on the Pizza Hut Facebook page.  Looks like some Pizza Hut locations have started making pizzas with the new, upgraded hand-tossed style already.  We saw Domino’s do something similar back in 2010.

Pizza HutHere are the comments left on GrubGrade to point us in the direction of what we might have in store:

• HutEmployee: It’s simply a new handtossed style crust to replace the current one. Still made from frozen dough. After coming out of the oven, the crust will be ‘buttered’ and seasoned. Didn’t Domino’s start doing that when they released their new handtossed crust 2 or so years back?
  • Yossarian: It’s just new hand-tossed dough that actually makes the pizzas smaller. They brush the edges with butter and sprinkle them with a Parmesan-garlic mix. It’s really not very different.

14 comments on “What’s the New Crust Coming to Pizza Hut on January 16th?

1. Scrape says:

Sounds like they are trying to get back at Dominos for them one-upping the Hut on the Pan Pizza front. Still, the frozen dough has to go.

2. Nick says:

Wow. Dominos must be kicking complete ass with that crust if Pizza Hut is now emulating it. Didn’t know that.

• Matt Barker says:

Not sure where you live, but Domino’s hasn’t kicked a$$ in anything, ever.

• Nick says:

Actually, I am from New Haven, CT, so obviously I agree that Dominos Pizza isn’t good. But it’s undeniable that they are an economic powerhouse, even in areas with great pizza. The fact that Pizza Hut is copying precisely what Dominos did is a big sign that those changes were successful.

3. MrSniffles says:

Don’t do it Pizza Hut! That crust is the reason I stopped going to Dominos. Disgusting and overpowering every other taste on the pizza itself.

4. Justin says:

Called to order Pizza Hut last night in SW Michigan. They offered me the new hand tossed “light and airy, with bubbles, and brushed with butter and garlic mix”. I ordered it with ham and pineapple. It was better that the old crust, the seasoning was very subtle, much less garlicky than Dominos. Not sure if I would agree with the light and airy bit though.

5. Aliceswondering says:

Well, this must be what my parents got last night. They ordered they’re usual ham and pineapple hand tossed. What the got was monstrosity of Garlic and seasonings it was BAD and took over any other flavor! They said they’d rather the left the hand tossed alone , kept it the size and everything it was and just charged a little more. This is Disapointing. Looks like we may have to find a New pizza place as Hand tossed is the only we ordered. Not crazy about the pan and No interest in the stuffed crust.

6. JF says:

So a still frozen crust. Haven’t had PH in years (probably close to 10 by now) and never would think of them when ordering a pizza. But based on what I have heard here and elsewhere, still doesn’t seem any reason to give them another shot.

Sure, many people might not know the difference between fresh and frozen dough, and I am not convinced that is the main issue, but their pizzas just seem to lack much of a real pizza taste.

When I was a kid, I used to look forward to getting a PH pizza. Even living in NY when there were many better options, but it used to taste great. Different, but great in it’s own way.

Personally I am not impressed with any of the national pizza chains as most taste like something I could by at a local supermarket (frozen) and cook myself. The only exception would be Papa Murphy’s.

7. Jonathan Wayne says:

After eating pizza in NYC, I refuse to eat any other pizza, especially Dominos, Papa Johns and Pizza Hut. Seriously.

8. Mike N. says:

Meanwhile, Pizza Hut is apparently testing pizza-by-the-slice in select areas.

9. Anonymous says:

I used to often eat Domino’s pizza. I couldn’t stand it anymore after they revamped it 4 years ago. Even requesting they leave off the garlic spread, their new sauce was too spicy for me and my family.

Then a couple years ago, I had a chance to try Pizza Hut’s hand-tossed pizza at no cost, and found I liked it almost as much as the old Domino’s. So of course now they’re changing it too, to go after the same market as Domino’s did. Yes, some people diss them, but you can’t please everyone (or at least not by replacing old options instead of just adding additional options), and those of us who did like the old product are abandoned.

This ‘if you don’t like it, you can have another pizza you won’t like either for free’ offer isn’t very tempting to get me to try their new pizza.

I’ve also found Papa John’s regular crust pizza to be acceptable to me, so I guess I’m down to that and DiGiorno’s.