New Falafel Sandwich from Subway

For a couple of years now I’ve been seeing the Falafel Sandwich from Subway pop up in random spots in the United States and Canada.  The Falafel Sandwich hasn’t really been on my radar until I recently started spotting it in the DC Metro area (here’s a handy map).  I spotted the Falafel Sandwich in Frederick, Maryland and snapped a pic of the promo poster.

Subway Falafel

For those unfamiliar with Falafel, Wiki says it’s “a deep-fried ball or patty made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both”.  The Subway Falafel Sandwich can be topped with a zesty cucumber sauce.  I might be sampling this sandwich soon to see if it’s worth the $4.75 for the 6″ size ($7.50 footlong).

9 comments on “New Falafel Sandwich from Subway

1. JimmieC says:

This has popped up a couple of times in the Midwest the past few years. (namely Chicago and WI). I’ve never tried it, but have read reviews of it; I thought on this site, but must have been somewhere else. Could be okay I guess……just another pre-made subway product in my eyes. Alas, I still eat there frequently…..not sure why…..

2. Raul says:

My local subway has been serving the Falafel sandwich for years.

3. Rusty Shackleford says:

I love falafel, but that is really freaking expensive for what I’m going to assume is going to be a typical subway quality sub.

4. Robert says:

You said yourself this isn’t new. I’ve had it in 10 or 12 states already.

5. Bunny says:

$7.50 for a footlong? I’ll pass. You can get the real deal at Zankou for less.

• ahecht says:

You can get it at Zankou if you live in LA, but for the rest of us that live in a culinary wasteland there aren’t as many options.

Damn, now I’m craving their garlic sauce again.

• Pat says:

I wouldn’t call the Zankou falafel the “real deal”, but it’s very good. That would be like calling In-N-Out burgers the “real deal”. No, they’re just very good approximations. Zankou garlic sauce is the real deal, actually. Tastes just like my Lebanese family makes.

6. Kevin D says:

I would be extremely interested in this review unfortunately, there is only one subway location I will ever go to because of exceptional cs and quality control.

7. rob says:

I love falafel sandwiches but they are supposed to be cheap on account of there is no meat in them. Also I like them in a pita bread.