Subway Garlic Bread Recall?

Has anyone tried the garlic bread at Subway?  How are you feeling?   I’ve seen random comments on the Subway Facebook page about it being not available anymore as of September 5th.  There’s not much online about it just yet, but I came across this… posted by lubby on the City-Date message board, “This has not made the news yet, I checked. I work at Subway and we got an urgent message from Subway HQ to throw out any garlic bread plus the garlic butter topping. It was contaminated. Not sure how or what it was contaminated with. I wanted my fellow foodies to know in case they had some. The garlic bread was a new feature for September.”

Garlic Bread SubwayI was first alerted by this news by a comment here on GrubGrade by Darrell Martinsen, “I tried to get the garlic bread at our local subway today and was informed they didn’t have any because it had been recalled. Has anyone who tried it had any symptoms?”  So did you guys get a chance to try the bread before it was removed from the menu?  Leave a comment with your experience.

46 comments on “Subway Garlic Bread Recall?

1. Stephanie S says:

My husband tried it earlier this week and had no problems. He did have it toasted. Geez, I wonder what it was contaminated with??

2. Thomas says:

It was pretty good, but have had stomach flu symptoms since. Likely unrelated, but I am curious

3. Dan says:

I had it on thursday night, but they didn’t offer any garlic butter spread when I asked for a meatball on garlic bread. No illness here, and the bread was decent. The sandwich artist thought it was their best bread texture so far.

4. Rusty shackleford says:

Wow, I went to a subway on the 5th wanting to try the garlic bread and was disappointed when then didn’t have it.

5. Kevin says:

I just bought twenty minueses ago in queens.i ate it and so far am ok, but.now.im scared

6. RickFelt says:

I called several local subways in the DC area and a few employees told me point blank that subway HQ recalled all the shipments of Garlic bread. He didn’t know why though. What a total blunder on Subways part.

7. Roger C. says:

I just had it for breakfast the other day and I’m fine…but then again, I think I’m part Furyian.

8. Nero says:

My manhood shrunk 2.5 inches after I ate the garlic bread. I am so suing Subway for this!

9. Dave says:

I had it myself probably 5 times since it came out, each time toasted and had no problems with it. Wonder what it could be.

10. Anand says:

Had it twice this week. Haven’t felt sick yet. Good flavor on the bread, by far my favorite of the choices. Hopefully they come back!

11. Kacey says:

I’ve had the garlic bread twice with no symptoms or problems. Hope they bring it back!!

12. Ryan P says:

By far Subway’s best bread. Almost as good as Cousin’s! I was fine, but had it toasted on my BMT.

13. Steven Mitchell says:

I don’t understand how people have had this bread 5 times in the week its been out. Do people really eat at Subway that often? Do people realize how low quality their ingredients are. Who would eat there over Jersey Mikes and Jimmy Johns?

• thehottoddy23 says:

Agreed. The lowest of low-quality ingredients and it sure tastes like it, too. There are so many other sub shops that are WAY better in all capacities, not to mention they typically aren’t much more expensive than Subway. In fact, there is a local joint near where I grew up that has subs that are bigger, tastier and way cheaper than Subway. I guess Subway’s vast footprint and easy of access help it tremendously, but I have never figured out why people like it so much. Disgusting!

• JF says:

Again, people have different tastes and preferences. Also keep in mind that other shops like Jersey Mikes and Jimmy Johns are not as wide spread as places like Subway, so some people do not have the choices other have.

• TJ says:

Thank you JF.. maybe after the 1000th time someone makes the point about Subway being so much more available in certain regions they’ll get it. I doubt it though. :)

14. Tommy says:

Based on the generally positive comments, Subway recalled the bread because it was contaminated with actually tasting decent, something Subway apparently fears.

15. Mike Rogers says:

I work at subway its on recall and they will come back soon with the garlic bread. They will keep it until the end of the year……everybody straight everyone ATE it…..

16. Jonathan Wayne says:

I had it the other day and it was really good. I did have some sickness this week, but I am almost 100% sure it was unrelated. What are the symptoms? The garlic is very strong and noticeable, if garlic is not your thing, skip it, luckily I like it. Highly advise you bring a toothbrush and toothpaste or strong gum with you if you eat out or don’t want to scare away the women.

17. TJ says:

So when Subway does something that can legitimately be criticized half of the comments turn out to be neutral or positive… so far at least. I would’ve thought the haters would turn out in droves after this was posted. Bizarro GrubGrade?

• Manavee says:

Or, alternatively, perhaps most of the criticisms are legitimate. I don’t generally care for Subway, but gave the Garlic bread a shot. It was actually pretty good, and I didn’t get sick.

• Jonathan Wayne says:

Here is a thought T.J. that you can’t seem to get through your peanut-sized brain, people on here give their true opinions on products, not what you want to hear. If something is good, we praise it, if it is bad, we blast it.

• Bubbsy says:

I know, right? This isn’t sports or religion where folks have to have allegiances and mindless loyalty. Some people take fast food discussion forums way too seriously.
        “Watch out for haters, man. I see patterns. Every time a new bread comes out a bunch of haters post here and tell us why they didn’t like the bread. I’m onto you people, man.”

18. mark says:

The reason it was recalled is because rats had gotting into the mixture when it was being prepared and the mix contained rat DNA. Several people had to be hospitalized do to sever food poisoning. My suggestion is if you had it and are feeling OK good but if not try to find your receipt and go to a lawyer.

• Manavee says:

Oh geez, is that for real? Talk about a public relations disaster.

If what you say is true and gets widely reported, Subway will be late night talk show monologue fodder for a while, I would think.

• Joe Cool says:

Ok dude, where’s the link to support this or are you just making up lies?

19. opi says:

I miss the parmesan oregano bread..

20. Mike says:

The doctors say I’ll need a new liver, but in the meantime, I’m really enjoying the loaves of garlic bread I bought at Subway.

21. Dean says:

I ate and started violently morphing into a deer. DON’T EAT SUBWAY GARLIC BREAD, YOU WILL MORPH TOO

22. Heather says:

My parents have been Subway franchisees for 25 years. We got the email for the recall a few days ago. Nothing to do with contamination AT ALL. It was a “quality” issue. Normally this type of issue is due to how something looks once the break is baked or how it tastes. Whomever is claiming there is contamination is just wanting media attention. I don’t understand why people want to bring down a good company’s name just to get some attention and drama stirred up. Please correct this article with the correct information!!

• Ryan says:

I’m waiting for an official press release from Subway.

• Samantha says:

I’m a Manager at Subway and Heather is absolutely right! There was nothing WRONG with it. There was NO Contamination,Subway just decided it needed to be improved! It will be back and even better in a few weeks. And just for the record, everyone in my store ate it and we’re just fine :)

23. jill says:

I’m not saying it was aliens, but….. It was aliens.

24. Random Artist says:

The bread was recalled for a “quality” issue. My boss, and I, think it was because an ingredient in the topping is derived from pork, and was not quite what you can sell to veggies or jewish folks, or just people who don’t want meat in their bread…

25. Scrape says:

I don’t know how I would be able to tell the difference. I usually feel like crap after I eat Subway, which is why I don’t anymore. Subway was really good a long time ago when they actually mixed the dough in-store and also prepped FRESH produce. And their italian bread actually tasted like good italian bread.

26. Adam Bomb says:

I hope the bread makes it back into the stores eventually; I was looking forward to trying it. As for the recall, anyone who has ever worked in any type of manufacturing facility can tell you that a recall doesn’t have to be due to a serious problem. It could be contamination, or it could be as simple as a leaky oil reservoir on a piece of machinery. If it was discovered that something potentially came in contact with an edible product, and they weren’t sure exactly when it happened, then they could recall all product made during an entire work shift or even longer. People needn’t freak out over this, especially when no evidence has come up and no official reports have specified what happened.

Pillsbury recently did a voluntary recall of a couple of products because they discovered that a piece of plastic machinery had broken during production, and the plastic MAY have gotten into the food. It’s entirely possible that the food was all perfectly fine, but precautionary measures are better than lawsuits.

27. Thistle says:

Ah ha. That must be why I couldn’t get it.

Too bad for Subway, my sandwich was so awful I won’t go back and try it again, even when the garlic bread returns. I quit going to Subway a year back, and one reminder why is quite enough.

28. Icedus says:

I had it once. I was good, I guess? The flavor was overpowered by all the ridiculous ingredients I piled on. I’m fine, just mildly sad I didn’t stay simple and get it toasted.

29. John says:

The bread wasn’t contaminated and it wasn’t pulled for health concerns. The recipe was simply not made to the standard of taste. It will be back very soon!

30. Jim says:

I’ve had it several times – absolutely loved it. Had no health issues whatsoever and can’t wait for the garlic bread option to return.

31. Rose says:

I tried it once loved it. I was disappointed when I couldn’t get it I hope it returns when they fix the problem