Wendy’s Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger Coming Later this Year

Arby’s recently impressed us with its use of King’s Hawaiian buns and now Wendy’s has plans on going with the pretzel bun to catch our interest.  2013 looks to be the year of a fast food trend to add some interesting variety to sandwich buns.  Back in December I received an email from a reader in regards to a Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger being offered at Wendy’s in Garfield Heights. Ohio.   The test market burger was being sold for $4.49 and $6.49 for the combo meal.  Today Darren Rovell tweets a picture of the bacon cheeseburger with the pretzel bun… “Analyst: Wendy’s will roll out its Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger nationally this year.”  Take a look:Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger Wendy's

29 comments on “Wendy’s Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger Coming Later this Year

1. shelly says:

EW! although the burger part itself looks better and different than any burger I’ve ever gotten at a fast-food place

• Sascha says:

Why EW? Do you not like pretzel buns? If that’s the case fine, but why feel the need to spread that opinion? I don’t like avocado, but I don’t go around making ewww posts on avocado burger stories.

• Klee says:

I’m confused, why do you say it looks better than than any burger you’ve gotten at a fast food place, then you say Eww? I never understand why people come on here and bash fast food for being fast food. I think it somehow makes them feel superior in their eating habits.

2. MR.Gnarly says:

Fast foods best burger just got better. Can’t wait!

3. T.J. says:

Looks like cheddar cheese.

4. sortov says:

Wow! That thing is colossal!

5. BigBelly says:

I went in for a baconator last year, and saw a picture of these on the menu, so I ordered one. I don’t remember the specifics, but I remember not being to impressed, and wishing I would have stuck with original plan

6. Jonathan Wayne says:

I like pretzel buns, this might be good. So far BK has the best new bun out there for the major fast food chains.

7. Robert says:

Now this I want to try.

8. Rick Felt says:

Shelly, I’m sure you’ve put worse things in your mouth. This Burger looks amazing. I wish Red Robin would keep the Oktoberfest burger year round. I guess us simple minded individuals crave “seasonal” items from chains.

9. CC says:

“The test market burger was being sold for $4.49 and $6.49 for the combo meal.”

So it will sell for between $3.49 and $20 I assume, with as few Wendy’s as possible sharing the same prices (as they do with every other item on their menu).

10. Lancaster says:

Nice idea. With a few exceptions, the bun seems to be an afterthought for fast-food burgers. And a quality bun can lift up mediocre ingredients.

11. JoeyF says:

This looks amazing, the cheese looks like a thick slice of real cheddar and Wendys has great bacon. I hope this is nationwide, i really want to try it.

12. DerangedHermit says:

They should roll out a Pretzel Spicy Chicken Club with this.

13. Griffin says:

Agreed.

14. Elise says:

I love pretzel buns so I will definitely give this a try when it comes around. But good god I really wish the picture wasn’t instagrammed.

15. Brom says:

Based on the photo, I wouldn’t touch that with a ten foot tongue. Nasty greasy cheese and the burgers look over done. What good is a bun if the rest is pure slop. Pig On cholesterol freaks!

• Mel says:

Dude. Seriously? Cholesterol freaks? Take your uppity attitude about food and stick it straight up your…

Have a great day.

• Robert says:

I love when people complain about how actual, legitimate cheese has a somewhat greasy texture. Because they prefer the pasteurized-process doesn’t-need-to-be-refrigerated American “cheese.” Have fun with that!

16. Matt says:

This looks good..I found some pretzel buns at a local bakery here and used them to make some of the best burgers I’ve ever cooked, so I’m looking forward to trying this out.

17. 4x4, Animal Style says:

Been a while since I’ve commented around these parts (though I still love you Grubgrade, I visit daily!), but I just had this today. Ummmm, wow. This didn’t taste like a fast food burger, it was REALLY good. Tasted more along the lines of Red Robin. $5.79 for my double (sandwich only). I think the downsides are it being a such a bit messy, and with all the complexity, some of the texture of the pretzel bread/buns get lost. Doesn’t mean the taste did- you got that slight brine of salt, and that beautiful pat of butter that feels like what I imagine to be the texture of Paula Deen’s esophagus. Yum. Last but not least, especially for some, the bacon, as good as Wendy’s usually is, was lost in all this. I love bacon, but this sandwich doesn’t really help it.

Things I didn’t expect: This comes with no pickles notably, so I added some (pickles are my favorite condiment, especially Wendy’s, since they’re like cukes). It also has like a honey dijon mustard sauce that is absolutely up there with illegal drugs in terms of addictiveness. This wouldn’t go with ketchup or mayo, thankfully this burger has neither. This worked really well with that added pickles. It also has some unique greens in it, as opposed to regular lettuce, found in every other sandwich on the menu. I’d say they were like those found in the Wendy’s flatbreads, and, as I thought upon first glance, a McDonald’s McWrap. Made for smoother, less crispy taste. This is a GOOD thing, given the nature of the buns.

I think you’d want a picture, right? No worries, I’m there for you! :)

Taste: 9.5/10, Value: 8/10, Grubbing on the Go: 6/10, Overall (not an average): 9/10 (GG HOF).