Discussion: Unconventional Potato Chip Flavors

What’s the strangest potato chip flavor you’ve ever seen? In the past five years or so, it seems like more and more potato chip companies have been taking their traditional repertoire (BBQ, Sour Cream & Onion, Salt & Vinegar) and augmenting it with unconventional flavors like Hot Buffalo Wings and BLT.Sriracha ChipsCampaigns like Lay’s recent Do Us a Flavor, which introduced Cheesy Garlic Bread, Chicken & Waffles and Sriracha to the market (vote for your favorite flavor here), are changing our idea of what’s considered “normal” when it comes to potato chips. Do you have an off-the-wall flavor sighting? What’s your favorite potato chip flavor of all time?

36 comments on “Discussion: Unconventional Potato Chip Flavors

1. Hungry Guy says:

Most of the weird flavors I’ve seen in China. Pretty good stuff, really, except I didn’t really try the vegetable and fruit ones. I wish they’d bring the other flavors, especially Italian Red Meat, to America though. Haven’t tried the new flavors yet, but hopefully I enjoy them!

2. Jonathan says:

Any chips on the below list would work for me:

Favorite potato chip flavor has to be hands down UTZ Cheddar & Sour Cream

3. David says:

In England we did this flavour submission and we ended up with Cajun Squirrel. Very tasty.

4. Bill says:

Today I bought the one pictured and the cheesy garlic bread and they both need some work

• Heidi S. says:

I agree! They got the greasy part right, though. The Chicken & Waffles…I only ate one chip. Tasted like a mix of maple syrup & Ramen Noodle seasoning. The Sriracha was pretty good, though.
      My favorite chip would have to be Munchos. Plain ol’ Munchos.

5. Roger C. says:

Australia had Chicken flavored chips and Burger flavored Rings. The Burger rings were absolutely terrible. They tasted like toxic waste. They also had Ketchup flavored chips, Vegemite, Thai Chicken Curry, just all sorts of gross stuff. Nothing really that resembled anything American. The food there was just terrible, especially people’s home cooking. Just really, really bad. Oddly enough, I didn’t have a bad meal in London once.

6. MR Gnarly says:

These novelty chips are pretty good sometimes,But get tiresome quick.

7. Roger H says:

Those Sriracha chips are pretty good, I’m a big fan of them.

I’ve seen worcestershire sauce chips, grilled steak flavored chips, and salt and pepper. Salt and pepper is a little less on the weird side and is pretty good. I haven’t tried the others though.

8. Libby says:

Worst chip flavor ever was the Pringles White Chocolate Peppermint. It was like eating toothpaste on a chip. My favorite flavor is the Lays Honey Barbeque. I love the Reduced Sodium Lays Chips too.

9. Stephen says:

Doritos had a cheeseburger flavor that tasted fairly accurately of ketchup, mustard, and pickles. I got what I deserved for my foolishness. Nasty Doritos!

10. Kat B. says:

My husband works for Dominick’s…a division of Safeway here in the burbs of Chicago…he brought home a huge bag of chicken and waffles Lay’s chips…yuck…the initial taste is sickenly sweet maple syrup followed by salt and pepper chicken….you want this chip out of your mouth asap..I commend the orginator on the creativity on this…but please try again.

11. Jeff D. says:

My number one flavor potato chip is hands down Pringles Honey Mustard! It is such a great flavor, and not that common either. Sucks they don’t sell any close to me. =( Amazon has been my only option for my fix.

12. Starkzilla says:

By far, the most awesome chips I’ve had ends up in a tie: Utz’s crab chips and the All Dressed Chips they have in Canada. I’d kill for the latter to be introduced down here in the states!

13. Marianne says:

I may be the only person in the country who likes the Chicken and Waffle flavored Lay’s Chips ….

14. Scrape says:

I’m kinda partial to a good potato chip flavored potato chip. Why mess with perfection? Occasionally, I do enjoy a good dip, usually french onion soup mix stirred into plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

15. Ray180 says:

My favorite chip, which some would call unconventional, is Lays Spicy Ketchup. It has a nice sweet and tangy ketchup flavor with a surprisingly satisfying heat to it — not overdone but definitely noticeable. I’ve converted more than one nay-sayer with this great chip. I just wish it was available all year long (only seems to be in the summer).

16. NicDaMone says:

I love the Voodoo chips from Zapps. They are delicious!

17. I wish WAAAAYYYYYY more Frito lay Japan stuff made it over to the states.

NEW Cheesburger Cheetos

NEW Fried Chicken Doritos

Those look wayyyyy more appetizing than the Chicken and Waffles potato chips I tried.

18. Satyr says:

I tried the Cheesy Garlic Bread Lays and at first taste, it actually had a garlic bread taste, but after that it just tasted similar to a cheesy onion flavor that I tried before. I will still try the other 2 flavors if I can find them, but the reviews of the chicken and waffle flavors kind of scare me.

Back in the early 90′s a friend’s father used to fly commercial flights to London, and he used to bring back “Roasted Ox” flavored chips (the brand name escapes me.) They were actually really good. The closest I have gotten to those have been the Herr’s Worchestershire and Steak flavor.

19. Reggie says:

Herr’s has some really interesting flavors, like Old Bay, Baby Back Ribs, and even Ketchup.

My all time favorite was Ruffles The Works which was pretty odd itself as a baked potato flavor. Shame they don’t make it anymore.

20. Phil says:

I saw the BLT ones a few months back and thought they actually tasted like a BLT and I actually enjoy them. Haven’t tried the other three though.

21. TJ says:

I think sour cream and cheddar ruffles would be an all-time favorite. I like most barbecue chips too. As for unusual flavors, I’d love to try to chicken and waffles, I guess it’s unpopular but it sounds interesting.

22. Lauren says:

Definitely a fan of the good ol’ Salt & Pepper chips, but I also LOVE the dill pickle flavors.

23. PeterM says:

I saw Lay’s Dill Pickle flavor here in Northern CA. I did not try it.

24. AnneS says:

Either Utz crab chips or the Herr’s Old Bay chips. Both delicious, but in different even though they’re both essentially the same idea.

25. JR says:

Any Blair’s Extreme Food chips. Now that’s a chip!
    Love crab chips too!

26. rondoman says:

We have some different ones in the vending machine at work. I saw the BLT Lays, and they were ok.

My favorite was Herrs Ragin’ Ranch. They had a nice amount of heat with a cool ranchy aftertaste. I need to find out where I can buy these!!!

27. CaseF says:

I tried Hostess grape-flavored chips when I was a kid and never forgot them. To put that into perspective, they were made in the late 1970s.

Kettle Spicy Thai is the apex of ‘tater perfection

28. High Altitudes Colorado says:

I absolutely LOVE Zapp’s Crawtator chips… that Cajun zing is never tiring.

29. T.J. says:

Favorite chip is of course the Utz Crab Chip.

Weirdest were the Jamon Jamon potato chips I picked up at a grocery store in Ibiza. Pretty tasty, actually. Makes sense since ham is so big in Spain.

30. RC says:

Pringles “Rajin’ Cajun” Chips.
    Unfortunately I haven’t viewed Them at any NorthWestern U. S. Grocery store in a while. ‘ey SouthEastern U. S. Please bring ‘em.

31. spacemonkey1138 says:

Herr’s Baby Back Rib chips are the best.

32. doctorx0079 says:

I haven’t had a whole lot of flavored chips – I usually prefer plain kettle-cooked chips – but about ten years ago I used to love the Guacamole Lay’s that had the Sabritas face on them. They didn’t really taste like guacamole, more like salsa, but it didn’t matter. Those chips were like a crazy explosion of 6 flavors in your mouth. Bring back the Guacamole Lay’s!!!