Shamrock Shake Returns to McDonald’s

The Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s is back.  The green treat is available for a limited time while we close in on St. Patrick’s Day (March 17).  Like all shakes at McDonald’s, the Shamrock Shake received the McCafe makeover in recent years.  Minty green goodness… anyone a fan?Shamrock ShakeFor the nostalgic… here’s a look at an old TV spot featuring the Shamrock Shake.

18 comments on “Shamrock Shake Returns to McDonald’s

1. Scrape says:

I was a fan of the old pre-mix version that came all thick and toothpasty tasting right out the shake machine. The new one is nothing but their soft serve with regular creme-de-menthe drink flavoring syrup you can find in your grocery store haphazardly mixed in. Disgusting.

Same goes for the Frosty at Wendys. Now it is vanilla out of the machine with chocolate syrup dumped in there. It was better when there was only the chocolate Frosty available and came out perfectly right from the machine. If they wanted to add vanilla, get another machine for it.

• Mike N. says:

Totally agree! I miss the ‘fake shakes’ especially the strawberry. They need to bring them back as “shake classic” or something. And if I remember correctly, they were the same price or maybe just slightly more than sodas.

• maxchain says:

Amen. These were a lot more enjoyable back in the Triple-Thick era.

2. Raposin says:

Never had it. But it looks good. Have you had it before?

• Ryan says:

Years ago yeah, but I can never finish one. I can take mint flavored desserts in small doses only because I start thinking I’m drinking toothpaste.

3. Stephen says:

It’s my favorite.

4. Raposin says:

Eww.. Gross. I may try it though.

5. Why do they constantly bring back this crappy shake?

• MP says:

Because constant crappiness is McDonald’s specialty. I haven’t had one of these since 1991 & I don’t think I ever liked it. Just a chore to finish one.

6. Gilly says:

It’s not good. McDonald’s should bring back Grimace instead.

7. Satyr says:

I wish they would bring back the Arctic Orange shake.

8. TheHotToddy23 says:

Never understood how anyone could like this. I can eat toothpaste for the same effect. Everyone is different, of course, but man this is one nasty item.

9. yami says:

this is always great. do kinda miss the old consistency they used to have though. always have to get at least one every year for the minty goodness.

10. Clevegal42 says:

I always wanted to like this, but when I was a kid, I always gave up ice cream for Lent so I couldn’t have it and I whined the whole time about it. One year Easter was early and the shakes were still available so my dad stopped at McD’s after Easter dinner and got me one. And it was disgusting. I was super disappointed.

My brother, on the other hand, loves it. Some people have no taste. :)

11. Echo710 says:

“Hi, my name is Echo710 and I’m a shamrock shake addict…” (hanging my head in shame)

12. Colin K says:

Sorry, but I’m not convinced this is real. Been trying to get one here in CT and NY and Mass and RI for 10+ years (not exaggerating). They always have the picture and sign up and I have tried at all hours of the day but they always say they are out of it. I’m convinced they never carry it.

13. mel says:

I’ve never been to a McDonald’s around here that had a working ice cream machine,so I haven’t tried one.

14. Morgan says:

At the McDonald’s I went to they didn’t put whip cream and I cherry on top (for which I am very glad) and it looked nothing like the picture. I guess mine wasn’t ‘McCafed’.

I got the small size and it was pretty good at first, a little to watery but still spoonable. Halfway through though it was starting to get gross, I Magee to finish if all but it was a struggle. The next day both me and my mom had upset stomaches and diarrhea. Not fun. I’m assuming it was because of the shakes . Never will I get one again, definitely not worth the calories.