Poll: Best Fast Food Breakfast

Back in August, Wendy’s was crowned with the title of “Best Bacon in Fast Food” in our poll.  It’s time to crown another in a breakfast poll.  Who has the best breakfast in the fast food world?Breakfast Burrito CFAI’m going to give you some popular choices and if you don’t see your favorite, leave a comment.  In order to keep the list tight, I refrained from including smaller chains, chains with limited breakfast availability, fast casual spots like Panera and breakfast dominant chains such as Dunkin’ Donuts.  Feel free to leave a comment letting us know how you voted and why.  Is there a signature breakfast item that swayed your vote to one choice over another?

68 comments on “Poll: Best Fast Food Breakfast

1. Alex K. says:

Has to be McDonalds … they’re just the most consistent. Sonic’s pretty good as well, but their steak in their burritos is ALWAYS overcooked.

2. John d says:

MC D’s. when i was younger hot cakes and mcgriddle and now the egg mcmuffin are toos

3. jason says:

Hardees has the best biscuits by far!

4. Manavee says:

I’d probably go with McDonald’s out of that list, although Subway would be a very close 2nd.

Wendy’s new breakfast menu (which is test marketing near me) is actually really, really good. So, if they ever re-attempt to go nationwide with that, I would vote for them.

5. Darrell Martinsen says:

The round egg McDonalds uses on their McMuffins has that nice fried, home-cooked feel to it. This gives them an edge over their competitions’ mass produced feel of scrambled and folded eggs. Although even McDonald’s folded eggs seem to taste better than other fast food companies’ versions.

6. Ric says:

Dairy Queen should be an option. Best biscuits and gravy by a mile, and their eggs and bacon are real, not completely processed like most others.

7. Satyr says:

Krystal used to have a really good fast breakfast, cheap too. They even made eggs to order. Now all of the ones around here only offer scrambled eggs in their platters.

8. J says:

Wow. I’m actually a bit shocked McDonald’s has a third of the vote. I know it is usually the most accessible and the ‘classic’, but I can’t ever see myself getting breakfast at McDonald’s unless I’m right next door to it. Even then, I’ll look down the street.

Plus they got rid of those bagel sandwiches years ago, didn’t they? Screw that.

9. Blake says:

I went with Hardee’s because I have yet to be disappointed by anything on their menu. Chick-fil-a is a close second because of the amazing chicken breakfast burritos. McDonalds is on my “well.. I have a coupon” list. And even 4 years later, I still miss Whataburger in Florida.

10. Chefprotoss says:

Hardee’s by far has the best breakfast. A vote for anything else means that that person has clearly never had Hardee’s breakfast.

11. Jims says:

I think Chick-Fil-A and Wendy’s do a great breakfast. Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s has probably one of the weakest breakfasts, right next to Burger King. Saying that Hardee’s “by far has the best breakfast” is kind of absurd, unless you’re a hardcore alcoholic and are always drunk in the mornings for breakfast.

• JJ says:

I was going to get annoyed and argue about Hardee’s delicious breakfast biscuits, but then I realized that I *AM* drunk about 100% of the time when I’m still awake at breakfast time and get fast food. Carry on.

12. lynn barna says:

The steak, egg and cheese bagel sandwiches are here and DELISH in Michigan!

13. Bojangles, BoBerry Biscuit, best breakfast sandwich ever

14. bobby says:

bojangles

15. Scrape says:

Sausage McMuffin with egg. Need I say more?

16. ThinKing says:

Would love to vote for McDonalds but they don’t have bacon!

17. john d says:

I must say to the commenter who said subway is good. The english muffin sandwiches are a complete rip off compared to mcd’s or anywhere really. one slice of meat a half egg and muffin for like $3? their flatbreads taste horrible. If you are going to get subway might as well get the 6 inch regular bread sandwich and even that is pricey for what you get. That being said I love subway for any other meal

18. TJ says:

Whoever doesn’t say Hardee’s obviously hasn’t had it. I was told Hardee’s could close after breakfast and it wouldn’t hurt them one bit. Best breakfast, followed by Chick-Fil-A.

19. steve1 says:

jack in the crack cuz they have real fried eggs. mcd’s has real eggs but theyre cooked with water. theyre okay. everyone else has the folded egg mix that i dislike. that stuff is mostly water. yuck!

wendys breakfast is great too. they have real fried eggs as well.

20. steve1 says:

@J – i miss mcd’s bagel breakfast sandwiches too!

21. Kendall says:

I’m all about McDonalds. Gimme a bacon egg ‘n cheese or their cinnamelts and I’m a happy girl. BK is alright – I do like their ham ‘n cheese croissanwich. Jack in the Box will do in a pinch, while Carl’s Jr just sucks.

22. Katie says:

Bojangles has the best breakfast and they serve it all day!

23. Cantenna says:

Spicy chicken for breakfast. Chick-fil-a has it. Others don’t.

24. Anne Sutton says:

Borounds at Bojangle’s are yummy….and they have breakfast 24-7. Wish McDonald’s would do that some day.

25. griffin says:

McDonalds… Although I had a breakfast crossoint which from BK recently and the eggs were hot and fluffy which melted the cheese and the bacon was perfectly crisp

26. Marko says:

Roy Rogers else Hardees

• Ian says:

YES! Roy’s breakfast kicks ass, love their sourdough sandwich with ham or bacon. I voted mcd because of the lack of a roys option.

27. T.J. says:

Gotta go with McDonald’s. Sausage McMuffin w/egg as an adult. The Hotcakes w/sausage when I was a kid.

My local McDonald’s offers a limited breakfast menu after midnight. Does anyone else’s local Mickey D’s offer something similar?

I have never had Hardees, other self.

• Echo710 says:

Yep, the McDonald’s locations where I live all have “breakfast after midnight”, although the full breakfast menu isn’t available until 1 a.m.

• T.J. says:

That’s pretty sweet. Mine doesn’t switch to the full breakfast menu until 6 AM. It’s just Egg McMuffins, Sausage McMuffins, Breakfast Burritos, Hashbrowns, and Hot Cakes before 6.

A couple of Sausage McMuffins w/egg, add bacon for a small upcharge, really hit the spot after a long night out on the town.

28. Chad D says:

I agree with the others that are saying if you aren’t picking Hardee’s you haven’t had it. It is far and away the best. McDonald’s is usually last on m list although when I ever I am hungover a McGriddle and PowerAde sounds good every now and again.

29. Mattitude says:

Del Taco 1/2 Pound Steak and Egg Burrito…enough said

30. KTK says:

In my area, there is a problem of availability with these brands. Chick-fil-A and Jack in the Box aren’t even in the area. Hardees and Sonic are at least 30mi away, and I don’t drive that distance for breakfast before work.

The only options on my way to work are McDonald’s, Burger King, and Subway. I haven’t had Subway in years, and I should probably give them a chance. Between BK and McDonald’s, McyD’s is the clear winner. I’ve had a few free Croissan’wich sandwiches, and they’re disgusting. I choked down a couple of them knowing it was my only thing to eat that morning. At least McD’s has whole cooked eggs with yolks that aren’t mush.

31. Rachel says:

Breakfast burrito at Burgerville. With their pepper bacon.

32. TJ says:

McDonald’s is my classic option, they’re everywhere and consistently good. Carl’s Jr. (or Hardee’s) is definitely a step up, but it’s not usually convenient for me. Jack in the Box rules for convenience. I think Burger King’s croissants are underrated, but most people I know disagree with me.

33. Sandy says:

Hardee’s hands down. I crave their sourdough breakfast sandwich. The problem is I live in Chicago and they left the area years ago. I get my fix on road trips to WI.

34. royald says:

Sonic’s Ultimate Meat and Cheese breakfast burrito is easily my favorite breakfast item. Runner up is Hardees, they do a super solid breakfast.

35. Jeff in Middletucky says:

I very nearly voted McDonald’s (their biscuits are damn good, as are the McGriddles and the steak, egg, and cheese bagel), but I had to ultimately go with Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. on the strength of their biscuits (best fast food biscuits, hands down), their cinnamon raisin biscuits, and their Frisco breakfast sandwich. My personal number-three favorite choice would have to be Arby’s, because their ham, egg, and cheese croissants are divine.

• Raiders757 says:

Arby’s does breakfast? What the… I never knew. I guess I’m going to have to give it a try sometime this week. I love breakfast themed croissant sandwiches, so I must try one of these “divine” creations.

36. Carrie N says:

I hope that someday everyone gets to try the Wendy’s breakfasts. I think we are on at least the third menu revamp right now. They have this a-mazing breakfast panini with asiago and cheddar cheese, their great bacon, and tomato. They also have these potatoes that are like small seasoned potato wedges that are highly addictive.

37. mjb says:

One that I don’t see mentioned above that is really good is White Castle. They have sandiwches on the little buns that are fine but around here (Ohio) they also have sandwiches on whole wheat toast that have an actual fried egg on them. They are really good.

38. Ljay says:

in order:

Hardee’s – tough to even name a close second when it comes to biscuits. Unless Carl’s Jr changed their biscuits since I last had one (December of 2010), they don’t hold a candle to hardee’s.

White Castle – A very strong 2nd with their Pillowy little rolls with a fresh cooked egg, cheese, and choice of meat (bologna for me please). Hard to beat for grubbing on the go.

Any place that serves their whole menu all day – a good cheeseburger for breakfast is most excellent at places like iHop.

Bojangles – Steak biscuit and bo-rounds (the only fast food hash browns with real onions) gives them the number 4 spot and the fact that you can get it any time of day is a plus.

Honorable mention goes to McDonalds because of THE egg mcmuffin. A classic.

All the rest have flaws. Chick-Fil-A biscuits are like the biscuits you get at the local hotel free breakfast buffet. Crumbly, slightly stale at times, just not good. No JITB near me and haven’t had their breakfast in probably 20 years.

39. Colin says:

I have to go with Chick-Fil-A. I’ve actually had dreams about their chicken and egg bagel sandwich.

40. Shan says:

I think McDonald’s Egg McMuffin is the best breakfast sandwich out there, especially on a cold morning.

41. Jessica says:

BOJANGLES has the best breakfast! I love their Bo Rounds and I love that I can get it anytime.

42. Chris says:

Bojangles not being included in this poll is a travesty.

Best biscuits around!

43. Helldog says:

My Hardee’s Cheddar Biscuit came complete with the wax paper between the slices of cheese. And I might consider Chick-Fil-A, but I try to avoid hate groups in the morning. McDo’s for the win.

44. Colin K says:

Why no Taco Bell on the list? Mountain Dew A.M. Enough Said.

45. Frank says:

I agree with steve1. Mcdonald’s breakfast with the real eggs. Jack in the Box is the clear winner though. Real fried eggs. How is this concept so difficult to execute in fast food land? It pisses me off!

46. Trey says:

Bojangles–Cajun Filet Chicken Biscuit does it for me

47. Rusty Shackleford says:

McDonalds… Though breakfast at Krystal is a close second. Hardee’s is also good. I believe I first had hash browns as a kid at a Hardee’s

48. Elise says:

I voted Subway only because it would be my choice if I had time to get to any of the options before work or something. Plus it makes me feel less awful about eating fast food breakfast.
    I do get a craving every once in a while for a McDonalds sausage burrito though, those are good… also I’m too scared to try much else.
    I vaguely recall having some sort of breakfast wrap at Arby’s and it not being bad… clearly not memorable.

49. Georgie C says:

I pick Chick-fil-a, anything there is just ‘yum!

50. jacques de morton says:

the best fast food breakfast is the one you cook yourself. get your arse out of bed 15 minutes early and save 20 minutes breathing other peoples benzine and carbon monoxide queued up in some crap takeaway. (heres how).
    while you are staggering around in your pyjamas, put some oil or fat in a frypan and put it on high. whisk six eggs per person and have a shower. (guys, shave later)
    pour the eggs into the frypan. work the edges into the centre until almost done, tip onto plate and eat. you can put fancy stuff into the eggs; asparagus, rare herbs, roasted goat cheese or sacred ground seeds, but why would you? eggs taste great.
    now you can have a shave, put on makeup (or both), drive to work and look at the silly bastards in the drive through.
    Of course, if you are culinary sophistocated like me, you can cook the ultimate Aussie breakfast.
    chuck lots of butter into your frypan and chop up lots and lots of real field mushrooms and cook them on high heat. the hotter the better. then tip them out, salt and pepper and eat.
    If you know how to make vegemite toast, all the better.
    NEVER buy half warm crap from a drive through again.
    Yours in real meals, Kev.