New Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger Joins the McDonald’s Dollar Menu

New to the McDonald’s Dollar Menu is the Grilled Onion Cheddar burger (Read our full review).  Another entry into onion territory that recently got started with the CBO Angus and friends.  The one dollar Grilled Onion Cheddar burger comes in at 310 calories, 13 grams of fat, 15 grams of protein, 33 grams of carbs, 660 milligrams of sodium.

A juicy 100% beef patty topped with grilled caramelized onions and smooth melty cheddar.

Grilled Onion Cheddar McDonald's

Grilled Onion Cheddar Dollar MenuMy local McDonald’s in Maryland is offering up a combo of 2 Grilled Onion Cheddar burgers, medium fries and medium drink for $4.59.New Grilled Onion Cheddar McDonald's

33 comments on “New Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger Joins the McDonald’s Dollar Menu

1. Dave says:

Any sauce on it? The sauce on the CBO Angus burger was awful, IMO.

2. Blake says:

I am glad to see McDonalds finally using the grilled onions for more items. Why it was only on the Steak Bagel for so long was baffling.

3. Sausage says:

Possibly the only interesting product McD’s has introduced in some time…especially on the dollar menu. Will need to give that a try with extra onions and maybe some mustard.

4. Jake says:

I work at McDonald’s and can confirm no sauce… Lol. Just ate one not too bad.

5. Joe says:

Looks okay, but you could just ask for a Mcdouble with grilled onions… Their white ‘cheddar’ doesn’t taste any different than their regular american does.

• Dave says:

Good idea. Wonder how much it would cost by requesting the onions?

• Joe says:

Most veggies are usually free, but they might have some ‘premium charge’ for this one – I wouldn’t think it would be more than the $0.30 they sometimes charge for Mac sauce though.

I’ve never had problems getting slivered onions instead of the dehydrated ones on double cheeseburgers though, so I’d be surprised if they charged at all for them.

6. Nick says:

I like it. It’s a nice variant on the standard cheeseburger. The “cheddar” was drowned out on the CBO sandwiches, but you can actually taste it here. It’s still processed cheese that tastes more like american, but it has more of a deli-style american taste to it.

@Sausage – I would definitely recommend adding some mustard to this. By default, there are no condiments or sauces on this. It’s just bread, meat, cheese & onions.

7. abc says:

That combo isn’t a good deal at all haha considering a large fry is 1.99 where I am so I think a medium is like 1.39/1.49. Any time you’re paying about a buck for a pop it’s just pure incremental profit for them.

8. Manavee says:

I tried it and thought it was pretty good. The onions are very mild in flavor, but still noticeable enough. I think at the end of the day, if I had a dollar and some change in my pocket, I would still go with a McDouble……but this is a nice diversion.

9. Chester says:

At my McDonald’s, it cost $3.99 for the 2 pack deal. And I actually liked the sauce on the CBO, I wish they still had it for these burgers.

10. Michael says:

I’m not sure if all stores are this way, but this new item replaced the McCruncher in our area. I wish it hadn’t!

11. This looks like a good deal.

12. roger says:

I like this new burger and it will probably be a decent alternative to the Mcdouble and all the calories it brings. I added mustard and it really added to the flavor.

13. Todd says:

what is the deal with the salad pictured in the graphic?

• Mike N. says:

Do you mean in a “which of these things does not belong” way? :) Most McDs still have a $1 side salad, and it’s probably the only salad on the menu that’s reasonably healthy; it’s amazing you can find a 1600 calarie salad on a lot of munus these days!

• robert says:

Uh, the McDonald’s big salads are all around 400 calories. Most of their dressings are 100 calories or less. Why look that up when you can assume, though, right?

14. John says:

Burger places back 40-50 so years ago… and a lot still exist used to do simply a slice of cheese and grilled onions… this on the dollar menu.. I would grab 2 of these for lunch everyone once in a while… this is the first time Mcdonalds has gone a little old school is a different way and it could have been done a long time ago… But… all these compliments dont apply until I try the damn thing- but it looks good…

15. John says:

Oh and this burger is MADE for strictly Mustard

16. Michael says:

I’d much rather they kept the McCruncher than replace it with this, personally :(

17. Had it yesterday. Sadly it is pathetically small. Taste good though. If I could add some lettuce and sauce it might be better. I will experiment and see what it costs.

18. Kirk says:

Tried to get one in Lumberton, NC just off I-95 yesterday at lunch. Sounded interesting so I ordered one. Jumped back in the car (OK my bad, they checked (Asst. Manager) but I didn’t check behind them). I didn’t pull out the sandwich until I was 3 miles down I-95 at 70 mph only to discover that I had been given a spicy chicken sandwich (my least favorite $1 menu item) instead. Not a huge deal but was certainly disappointing to not get anywhere near what I had ordered and don’t think they have made the Charlotte lineup yet. Not in that big a hurry to find out.

19. Mark says:

OMFG it is so good! Get them to add pickles & mustard (or ketchup even) and they’re like Krystal or White Castle burgers!

20. Paul says:

I just had it at my McDonalds. It’s $3.29 here in Denver, Colorado for the combo you listed. Really good deal in my opinion.

Might have just found my new favorite dollar menu item.

21. Kelli says:

All bun, no beef! It’s 1/4 inch thick burger if that, smaller than the bun, a tiny teaspoon of onions, and processed cheddar. I taste bun and onions. This is pathetic. I’d rather pay more for a real sandwich. Idea is great, result is a joke.

22. Jay says:

It was REALLY good. I wanted to try it because of the grilled onions. It was great beause of it. Leave it Just as it is. Leave well enough alone. No pickles or anything else. I told my friends about it. It is a little small, but that’s what I like about it.

23. kay2222 says:

this is the best thing mcdonalds has introduced in a long time. the onions are delish. i just added ketchup. i never ever go to McD’s, but I’d go for this again.