New Chicken Poppers from Papa John’s

Earlier this week, Papa John’s released new Chicken Poppers.  A 9-piece order of this popcorn chicken is currently available for a $5.00 promo price.  I always found Papa John’s chicken strips to be pretty limp with weak, flaky breading.  Have you had Chicken Poppers yet?  Leave a comment if you’d tried the latest chicken side item at Papa John’s.Papa John's Chicken Poppers

14 comments on “New Chicken Poppers from Papa John’s

1. Manavee says:

I thought they were surprisingly big, but were also very dry. I’d recommend passing.

2. Dan says:

Poppers have been around for awhile now. They seem like smaller portions of the chicken strips they replaced, but without the option to be sauced.

3. Steven says:

You get 15 for $5 currently in Wichita. I actually loved the old chicken strips and find the new poppers are not nearly as good. They seemed to dry out very quickly.

4. Ash says:

I found a coupon for a free order a couple of weeks ago and I actually thought they were tasty. I got the honey mustard dip and they were pretty flavorful. I don’t know if I would be in a hurry to purchase them but I’ve had worse.

5. JF says:

Hey Ryan!

We’ve had these out here in Colorado for about a month now, and I did try them. First, I just checked their website as the 9 for $5 seemed to be really off. I’m not sure if they price different regionally, but they are offering a 15 piece for $5.99 (which is about what I thought I got / paid for them). So 9 for $5 is not much of a deal.

Anyway, like you said, they were pretty light on breading. Smaller than a McNugget, but were all white meat. They were average at best, and no new dipping sauces, so the same choices PJ has had for years.

While they weren’t bad, I would pass on them (and all things chicken from PJ’s).

Pretty much smaller portions of their former strips (or whatever they called them).

6. Lylat says:

I had them a few days ago eh it was ok I might buy it again.

7. rummble says:

What’s next sliders?

8. pete says:

I got these for free about a month ago and I wanted my money back. The breading was horrible and dry, the chicken was tasteless. I was disappointed because I like PJ’s chicken topping for their pizza and their wings, while overcooked to hell, are vaguely edible.

I can’t remember the last time I spent money at Papa Johns but since last Super Bowl I think I’ve had about a dozen pizzas and about as many sides for free. Oh and maybe four 2-liters. Right now I have some inexplicable code sitting in my inbox for a free 1-topping large pie. What are these people doing to me? My friends will only come over to eat cardboard so often. Yet, there remains, starving children in China. So I persevere.

9. Justin says:

I’ve tried them, the first thing I said was, “Well never again.” Really dry and tasteless. Papa Johns needs to add fryers if they are going to attempt any chicken product. Even the pizza which uses the bites cut up really was unimpressive for a John’s product. Not sure why pizza places that have sub par chicken any given time keep pushing it, brings the whole image down.

10. Kimberly says:

We tried the poppers tonight. We have a word in our house. Shag nasty. That’s what these were. Never again.

11. Jim says:

I ordered these last week and I must say they are a ripoff. I saw the advertising and pictures for them and correct me if I am wrong, but the were just slightly smaller than golfball size. When I received my order, my first thought was “these are NOT what I see in the picture!”. These really should be marketed as chicken nibblers as they would be great for small children, but not adults. Poppers should be bigger than what I received, which came in at about dime sized. :( Not worth $5..not worth it at all. Don’t even get me started on their midget wings…

12. Shane says:

I recently decided to try the poppers, so I added a 15 piece to my order. When they arrived, they were not even warm. But more noticeably, there were 11 poppers instead of 15. Also, they were all different sizes with no two being the same. They looked NOTHING like the picture on the site. There was one huge popper that was at least 8 times as large as the smallest one. Several were tiny little bits of chicken that were mostly breading. They tasted worse than the frozen nuggets my daughter likes to eat. These “poppers” were so bad that I am having a hard time ordering Papa John’s now.

13. Eric says:

I ordered a 10 piece and lets just say they were horrible. One of the pieces was the size of my pinky fingertip. Overall, they were small as a whole and a waste of 6 bucks. I could have gone to Wendy’s and bought 6 4 piece nuggets, got more and taste about the same. The 2 ranch sauce containers that came with it, I barely needed the one. They used to be better and with Domino’s changing their chicken kickers, who has decent chicken fingers/nuggets still?

14. […] Bacon Pizza.  The new Chipotle Chicken & Bacon Pizza features creamy chipotle sauce, sliced Chicken Poppers, bacon, Roma tomatoes, grated cheddar cheese and 100% real cheese made from mozzarella. A large is […]