First Impressions of Jack’s Munchie Meal from Jack in the Box

Check out these pics and first impressions from GrubGrade reader Garrett (Fast Food Aficionado).

Jack in the Box is well-known for advertisements that give a not-so-subtle wink and a nod to its less sober patrons.  All pretense of a respectable clientele is thrown out the proverbial drive-thru window with Jack’s Munchie Meal. It consists of your choice of one of four entrees (Stacked Grilled Cheeseburger, Brunch Burger, Exploding Cheesy Chicken Sandwich, and Loaded Nuggets) plus two tacos, a 20-oz drink and half regular/half seasoned curly fries all for $6.This is a meal for the drunkards, the stoners, the man with glassy eyes and shaking palms.  Jack’s Munchie Meal is also the kind of beautiful disaster that a fast food aficionado longs for, and it was with much excitement that I sat down to my cavalcade of calories.  First up was the Exploding Cheesy Chicken. Ostensibly a chicken sandwich topped off with mozzarella cheese sticks and a “gooey white cheese sauce”, this was a confetti of flavor awfulness exploding in my taste piñata. An unbilled appearance by bed of lettuce lay limp against the flood of white cheese sauce. This sauce overwhelmed the mozzarella sticks entirely and added nothing to the bland chicken. Pairing up the dish with marinara would have been a much more successful, albeit traditional, flavor palette.Next up was the Brunch Burger, a bacon cheeseburger topped with a fried egg and hash browns on a croissant. This was a delectable item, perfect for breakfast or late night. Jack’s eggs actually taste like egg, a welcome respite from the Egg McMuffin-like plasticity of competing chains. The bacon was crisp and the cheese blended perfectly. Delicious on its own or paired with a dash of Jack’s Hot Sauce, this was the clear winner of the evening.The Stacked Grilled Cheeseburger is similar to a more petite version of the Carl’s Jr./Hardee’s “Amazing Grilled Bacon Burger”.  A meat patty with a sourdough grilled cheese as the top bun, this was a solid if unspectacular entry in Jack’s fast food pantheon. The lettuce and tomato were unnecessary, the roughage lost in the fattening decadence of the meat and cheese.Last (and without a doubt least) were the Loaded Nuggets. Boldly described as ”chicken nuggets drowning in two kinds of cheese with ranch and bacon”, this was the worst kind of unnatural food disaster. Jack in the Box nuggets are not good to start with, and “drowning” them in the white trash trio of ranch, cheese, and bacon was pure overload. The flavors mixed shockingly poor.  This congealed mess, despite a table full of hungry mouths, was only half-gone at the end of the meal. I believe this is due mostly to the nuggets themselves, which lacked the crispness to counteract the rich toppings.

• Pros: Although hit-and-miss, you have to give Jack credit for thinking outside the box (pun intended) with the new items. The meal itself (with the tacos, halfsies fries and drink) is a good value for $6. The Brunch Burger is good enough to stay.
  • Cons: The new entrees cost $4 a piece and a bit pricey for what are mostly gussied up value items. Calorically, you’d be better off downing a pitcher of whipping cream. The chicken items are disgusting.

Have you tried Jack’s Munchie Meal?  It’s not in every Jack in the Box location so if you’ve spotted it, please leave a comment with the spotted location and your impressions.

32 comments on “First Impressions of Jack’s Munchie Meal from Jack in the Box

1. SmoledMan says:

OH boy, this “meal” is a poster child for obesity.

2. chris says:

I’m sorry, this really bothers me. The eggs you get on a McMuffin are real, cracked from a shell in the restaurant eggs. The biscuits and burritos are “fake”, biscuits are folded pre-made scrambled eggs, and the burritos are eggs poured out of a carton and cooked on the griddle.

• Mike says:

Sorry, but they are not. Never were, never will be. So do you work for McDs? I used to, so yes, I know.

• chris says:

I used to as well, we had an “egg steamer” thing that we cracked 12 eggs into, each going into a separate circular compartment to make the real eggs for the McMuffins.

• Abby says:

I don’t think he said that they weren’t real. Just they tasted plastic-like. I used to work at an ice cream place (Tillamook) where we made homemade waffle cones. We originally used what you call ‘real’ eggs and hand cracked them all but switched to the carton because it is cheaper. It’s still real, just tastes different depending on how you use it.

• Ryan says:

Yeah I was waiting for someone to realize that haha. Garrett wrote, “Jack’s eggs actually taste like egg, a welcome respite from the Egg McMuffin-like plasticity of competing chains.” No where does he say the Egg McMuffin didn’t use real egg. I think it’s more of a shot at the molded disc consistency of a McEgg.

• chris says:

Fair enough, that was my bad. I guess by the time I got to the end of the post I only thought of what I thought I read instead of going back one more time to be sure my reading comprehension didn’t fail me / I was putting words in anybody’s mouths.

3. TJ says:

I generally love JITB for its variety, but the chicken choices here sounded terrible to begin with… fried chicken and cheese combined isn’t something I’ve ever been in the mood for. The breakfast sandwich sounded pretty good, and the burger with the grilled cheese bun seemed decent. I’m glad this review confirmed what I imagined this stuff would be like.

4. Frank says:

I agree with chris. You clearly don’t have much credibility when it comes to fast food knowledge. The Egg McMuffin is one of the rare fast food sandwiches that clearly use actual eggs. When I see that folded over yellow crap, I assume those are not real eggs. They do not taste real, they do not look real.

I might add that Jack in the Box uses actual eggs. I am different from most people who look at this page on a regular basis, because I am of the mind that a diet high in saturated (non trans fat) low carb is healthy for you. Alright clones, rack me, I am out.

• Mike says:

Agree all you want, but unfortunately that does not make you correct.

• Jf says:

Before slamming Ryan, you may want to make sure you fully read the post. While Ryan did post it, it was a user submission, not his specific review or comments.

But I do concur, that at least McDonalds uses real eggs.

5. tehbull says:

I agree, chicken and cheese is rarely a good choice. It’s just that unless a quality cheese is being used, it amounts to bland on bland. There is a very basic food element that almost anyone with taste buds can notice and that is that all of these meals need more acids. A pickled something? Onion? A vinegar based BBQ sauce? A weird fruity based sauce? If they threw some sort of fruit jam on that burger, it would have changed the whole ballgame. I’ve been drunk enough to know that throwing the sugary/flavorful jellies on the table at Denny’s on anything are a game changer.

6. rob says:

The Brunch Burger looks to me like the winner of the lot, I can see eating the heck out of that. Stacked Grilled Cheeseburger comes in second, the rest of them, no way.

7. Whitney says:

Last night I tried the Exploding Cheesy Chicken and I thought that it was creative, but I could have gone without the lettuce and with a little less “cheese sauce” as they put it.

8. [...] in the Box doesn’t beat around bush when it comes to the lucrative Stoner demo (via Grub [...]

9. Frank says:

I would have over cooked plastic eggs, rather that folded over yellow mystery crap that may or may not be actual eggs, or egg based. Different strokes. Thanks for this review.

Ultimately If I had to order something, I would do it the rob way. Brunch burger without the buns. Gotta keep the carb count down.

10. Norml says:

About time they make a breakfast hamburger sandwich, though I prefer sour dough and the ultimate sausage sandwich.
    Jack In The Box, 24/7 everything on the menu, the way it should be.
    Jack continues to be the top fast food joint, they just never fail at customer service and continue to give give give. Unlike McDonald’s where they charge you for BBQ sauce and you can’t get breakfast all day nor can you get anything else BUT breakfast during that time….JACK IN THE BOX FTW!!!!! curly fries, better than McDonalds with their artificial beef flavor.

11. Donnelle says:

I will eat this, make no mistake, but GOD I wish they’d bring back the breakfast bowl.

12. Kristin says:

I beg to differ the chicken sandwich was very tasty and I enjoyed it.
    I’m not a hamburger fan so I haven’t tried the others and I probably will not be able to because it’s not available in my area. I was however able to try it near Santa Clara California. I wish this box was available at all jack in the box locations.

13. Jason says:

I had this tonight at the Jack in the box in santa rosa off farmers lane. I had the grilled cheese burger. It was great. I will probably try the rest but one trip to jack every two months is good enough for me. Also i worked for jack when i was a teenager, their eggs are cracked when you order them and made fresh for you. Probably why they tasted better than Mickey Dees.

14. […] plus fried cheese sticks sounds like it might actually be good. Unfortunately, according to a GrubGrade review from last year, the trifecta of crispy chicken, mozzarella cheese sticks, and white cheese sauce is […]

15. […] plus fried cheese sticks sounds like it might actually be good. Unfortunately, according to a GrubGrade review from last year, the trifecta of crispy chicken, mozzarella cheese sticks, and white cheese sauce is […]

16. Becker says:

I have no interest in the nuggets. I first tried the chicken sandwich. I got it without the ranch as I’m not a cannot ranch. Not a big fan of it. The flavors just didn’t gel. And their sticks aren’t great Almost a bit dry. I absolutely love their croissant sandwiches so I had that next. I specifically asked for no mayo but the kid at the register never write it on the receipt nor mentioned it to the cook. I HATE mayo. That and the burger being dryer than normal ruined it for me. Might try it again from a different location as this one place screws up more than anywhere else. (Venice & Overland in LA, CA.) I then had the grilled cheeseburger (finally as part of the meal) sans Mayo. I liked it, but didn’t love it. May have liked it more with slices of cheese insteead of cheese sause in the grilled cheese. But I like the halfsies fries option.

17. raen says:

The munchie box burger kinda tastes like a big mac. At frst glance I thought the fries were fringes..Bring back the frings please..and the tacos were the same as usual.I will not try the chicken munchie box because it looks overwhelming..I will not eat this again because it has too many calories, but its was tasty and a good amount for
    the price.

18. Miguel says:

I will never ever try this…! Everything in the meal looks disgusting… I’ll stick with their grilled chicken salads, no dressing!

19. […] the Chick-N-Tater Melt.  The sandwich is now getting a wider promo push and it’s part of Jack’s Munchie Meal family of […]