Test Market Ohio: Smothered Burrito from Taco Bell

Spotted in Ohio, the new Smothered Burrito from Taco Bell.  The Smothered Burrito is available in beef ($2.99), chicken or steak ($3.99).  GrubGrade reader Brian happens to be in the test market area of Ohio.  Check it out:

I had this today for lunch in Urbana, Ohio. Apparently it’s a test market item for the Dayton, Ohio area. You have your choice of beef, chicken, or steak. The filling is cilantro rice, refried beans, and 3 cheese blend. It’s covered in red sauce, 3 cheese blend, and has sour cream across the top. I got the beef version, minus sour cream.  It came in a new kind of container, and I was able to eat this in my car without any kind of mess. This is a plus, as I was worried it would be like the enchirito package, that spills red sauce all over everything by the time you get home. Very filling. It had a great taste, and I would definitely get this again at $2.99.

24 comments on “Test Market Ohio: Smothered Burrito from Taco Bell

1. K-Dog says:

Might just be my light lunch talking, but that looks f*ing amazing.

2. Justin ST says:

Taco Bell needs to drop their prices, especially for the gorditas. $3 is too much, especially in markets where you can get better stuff for just a little more.

• TJ says:

Taco Bell still has plenty of good stuff for a buck. How cheap do you expect them to price items and still make a profit?

• Justin ST says:

You must be a manager flunky or someone in their corporate headquarters, because I’ve heard that argument before from one of them. Taco Bell is already profiting very well, there’s no need to gouge people. For the price they charge, if you can get something that’s better in quality, to me, the choice is clear. It’s really as simple as that!

• TJ says:

Lol I’ve never worked for Taco Bell…most people I know agree that they have some of the best values in fast food. If you know of places to get fast food for less than a dollar, that’s great, but I think that’s not too bad these days.

• Taco Bell has no good stuff anymore. It’s all low quality “food”, most of which has almost no flavor. Now, that wouldn’t be a problem if the price matched the quality, but it doesn’t.

Taco Bell charges around five dollars for their taco salad. It’s mostly iceberg lettuce, and they don’t even fill the shell all the way! For six dollars, I can go to El Tapatio (a regular Mexican restaurant) and get a taco salad where the shell is FULL, there’s actually a decent amount of chicken in it (enough so that I’m actually done eating before I get to the shell), and it actually has some spice and flavor to it.

Five dollars for bland nothingness or six for a dinner I actually enjoy? Not a tough decision there.

• TJ says:

I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $2 for a Taco Bell item. I’ll pay $2 for a Chalupa once in a while, but other than that you can’t go wrong with the dollar menu stuff. That’s just my take, I don’t get the point of buying their more expensive stuff… it’s Taco Bell, it mostly tastes the same.

• Justin ST says:

Amen. TJ’s response above was so baffling, I could only come to one conclusion about him. Taco Bell overcharges way too much.

• TS says:

I agree on the needing to drop prices. A soft shell taco is not worth 1.29 and you would have to eat 5 of them to even feel like you’ve eaten anything. I find myself more and more just getting the Mcdouble which is really the last standing “good deal” in fast food. Is way easier, cheaper and better to just go to the freezer isle and buy an XL burrito for a dollar than any of the crap TB serves anyways.

3. Mike N. says:

This looks like a Hardee’s Red Burrito ‘Signature Red Burrito’ fighter — and the Signature Red Burrito is my go-to Red Burrito purchase, so I’ll definately be trying this when it (hopefully) goes national.

4. Alex K. says:

Taco Bell is definitely done providing “value” with their items … it seems like with every new item they release, the price goes up. This doesn’t look to be worth $3. I’ll DEFINITELY get it when/if it comes out here in Michigan, but that’s a bit overpriced. Unless it’s bigger in person, which is definitely possible and probably likely.

5. Bob Smith says:

That does look enticing. I hope they bring it nationwide.

6. Chefprotoss says:

Volcano and or Doritos Locos cheesy gordita crunch please, Taco Bell. This looks good but I need more novelty damnit.

7. A says:

Normally, I would complain about Taco Bell’s prices, but not here. That seems about right – not as cheap as I like, but not overpriced like some of their other LTO offerings. If this is the size of a Burrito Supreme, it’s worth it.

8. 3horseshoes says:

looks like their “enchilada”…

9. Chad says:

I’m in Dayton and will be stopping by a Tbell this afternoon to see if this is, indeed, on the menu.

10. SmoledMan says:

Just looking at that gives me explosive diarrhea.

11. Griffin says:

I prefer my burritos smothered in Lava Sauce =D

12. [...] November we brought you news of Taco Bell testing a Smothered Burrito in Ohio.  Well thanks now goes to GrubGrade reader Dillon on the heads-up info [...]