Spotted in Chantilly, Virginia by GrubGrade reader Nathan, some new items hitting the Burger King menu.  Scheduled to be available on Monday, August 27th… Chicken Parmesan Sandwich, Italian Basil Chicken Sandwich (on white or wheat bun), Italian Basil Chicken Wraps and Popcorn Chicken.  These new items are part of the “New Premium Chicken Menu” according to the signs.

Also joining the menu is a new flavor to the smoothie lineup, the Raspberry Real Fruit Smoothie.

It’s not yet known if these are restaurant-wide new items for Burger King or just in test market stages.  We’ll bring you more details as they become available.

30 comments on “New Premium Chicken Options at Burger King: Chicken Parmesan, Italian Basil, Popcorn Chicken

1. Rick says:

Well I’m driving to Chantilly next week…

2. Kayla says:

Chicken parm has been available on the original chicken sandwhich for pretty much as long as I can remember here (Eastern Massachusetts). It’s not at every Burger King in the area but I’ve had it at various ones since I was little.

3. Daniel n says:

Chicken parm sandwich sounds interesting but knowing bk its overloaded in calories.

• Robert says:

Uh, it’s a piece of fried chicken, a piece of cheese, and a bun. It’s gonna basically have the same calories no matter who makes it.

I’m looking forward to trying that. The original chicken patty is disgusting. This might be worthwhile.

• Dan says:

It’s going to basically have the same calories no matter which fast food restaurant makes it, you mean. If you fried some chicken yourself, slapped on some cheese, and marinara in a bun, you’d have a sandwich around 500-600 calories, I’d estimate. So, add at least 200 calories and a fistful of salt to that estimate and you’ll have your fast food version.

4. Chad D says:

We have had these for about a month now the Chicken Parmesan is pretty good, a lot better than when they used Original Chicken Sandwiches. They also had an Italian Breakfast Burrito.

5. TJ says:

4 mostly positive comments about this? I’m surprised, I thought everybody here hated BK. Guess we’ll see haha

• Jade says:

I think the Tendercrisp is pretty well-liked though and it looks like the new sandwiches are based on that rather than the regular chicken sandwich.

6. Rick says:

I know every now and then they offer the original chicken in regular, italian, and something else; but I thought it was an LTO since thats really all they would use marinara sauce for. I shudder to think what BK pesto tastes like, so I think I’m gonna get popcorn chicken and a raspberry smoothie and post my thoughts afterward.

7. Mike N. says:

I miss the old italian chicken sandwich; it was a great snack after a long night in the mosh pit!

8. Daniel n says:

Robert not try. A lot depends in what and how much oil the chicken is cooked in. The types of “special” sauces also make a huge difference. Just compare the chick fil a nutrition info for a chicken sandwich to the bk and the chick fil a has 20-30% less calories.

• Rick says:

For awhile the worst part of a BK chicken sandwich was the bun. I think the rolls w/o the corn dusting, while not as tasty, are nutritionally better. Wendy’s chicken sandwiches weren’t the most unhealthy thing in the world until they started buttering the rolls…

9. Daniel n says:

Robert meant to say “not true” not “not try”

10. rob says:

I’m not buying it, BK always promises more than it delivers.

11. Rob says:

They look interesting at least. Lets hope BK delivers a quality product for once.

12. F. Michael says:

I’ll just go to Wendy’s and spend a little extra. I only seem to go to Burger King for the rare whopper craving or nostalgic double cheese burger. It’s hard to find a BK that makes a proper, NOT dry Whopper w/ cheese and normal veggies.
    Chik fil a>

• Sascha says:

That’s fine if your weapon of choice is the grilled or spicy chicken patties, but the Tendercrisp is the one thing BK does better than any of the big 4 (McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Arby’s).

I’m just surprised BK had an original thought. After all these recent menu additions like the Egg McMuffin, Chicken Strips, Breakfast Burritos, Smoothies, Latte’s and Frappe’s and what not, I’m shocked BK didn’t just come out with a Ranch BLT and a Club and call it good.

13. Darren says:

Just bought a Chicken Parm in a BK in Melbourne, FL. Much better than the old Italian/Chicken Parm style sandwich they had.

14. Elise says:

“premium” chicken… what I’m hearing is “way too expensive for BK”.

15. Adam says:

Drove past my BK in Cleveland, OH and I saw an ad for Popcorn Chicken in the window so I guess this is nationwide.

16. MP says:

Everything but burgers, eh, BK?

I don’t know how this chain stays in business.

17. JF says:

I don’t know about this. I know about a year ago, maybe a little longer, Carl’s Jr. (Hardees) had a Parm Chicken sandwich. It was pretty good, not great, but for a FF place I’d order it again.

I love Chicken Parm, and wish you could get them are more FF or FC (Fast Casual) places.

I commented on other BK threads here, and it was almost 10 years since I had eaten there. One day, over a month ago, I was right by one and gave them a try. I forget what it was called, but they no longer have it on the menu, it was like 3 differnt burgers they had – I got the one with bacon. And much to my surprise, it was tasty, and more importanly, as the last times I had BK before that, it did not upset my stomach.

I am looking forward to the reviews and commens on the Chicken Parm sandwich as that is one of my all time favorites. But real hesitant on giving it a try.

So it’s now the 28th where I am, a full day after these were available. Anyone try anything on the menu? Any comments?

• Sascha says:

Sounds like you had a BK Topper, and you’re right, they were pretty good.

Only one of my two local BK’s was advertising the new chicken yesterday. Haven’t had one yet, but excited to try both the basil and the parm.

• JF says:

It was a topper, don’t recall the exact one (and too lazy to look up what they had offered). But a bacon cheeseburger.

Drove past a local BK today who has one of those digital signs and didn’t see anything about these new items.

I checked their website earlier and also saw no mention, so have to assume this is in a testing phase.

I’d be willing to try to chicken parm sandwich, and when Carl’s Jr. had that as an LTO was pretty good.

Looking forward to comments / reviews on these new offerings.

18. Rick says:

Tried popcorn chicken and a raspberry smoothie today.
    Chicken – Nothing I couldn’t do with a costco membership and toaster oven. Tasted like it could have been Tyson or Pilgrims brand to me. They were good, all white meat, and the middle looked like decent quality meat. Had it with jalapeno BBQ and buffalo sauces.
    Smoothie – Delicious. Real raspberry seeds and very good flavor. Menu said small ones would be $1 this coming weekend as well (at least in Nothern VA). The guy taking my order couldn’t figure out if there was a popcorn chicken combo or not, so I had to order a la carte – the medium sized one worked just fine for lunch and I think it was 2.89 or so because the whole meal was 5.45.

• JF says:

What kind of Costco chicken do you pick up? I venture there often and by me, the no longer carry the stuffed shells (I so miss them). But curious on what you got as from your comments and comparison (of course could not try these) but really interested.

• Rick says:

I meant it in the sense that it could have been Tyson or Pilgrim’s brand frozen popcorn chicken… I don’t think they were but they were nothing remarkable in flavor and I don’t think the breading matched the chicken strip breading.

19. Larry says:

Tried the italian basil chicken,was told it did not come with cheese.
    Typical Burger King, the food has really improved, the problem is they never train the staff properly on how to prepare it. Ads on the windows clearly show cheese on the sandwich, maybe they should have show and tell.

20. [...] I’m Out New LTO Menu Items at Burger King September 05, 2012 By: Ryan Category: Food NewsA couple weeks ago we brought you news of some new items coming to Burger King.  Now that the limited-time offerings [...]

21. [...] The new Popcorn Chicken is part of Burger King’s new limited time only premium chicken menu that also consists of a Chicken Parmesan Sandwich and Italian Basil Chicken Sandwich. [...]