Austin: Franklin Barbecue and the Tipsy Texan

Out and about in Austin, Texas at the moment and I had to pay a visit to Franklin Barbecue to get my BBQ fix.  A little bit over an hour wait (I’ve been known to wait in long lines for food) to tackle the Tipsy Texan and a few other delectables.

A 2-meat, 2-side combo ($13.00) (ribs/brisket, slaw/potato salad) on the left, the Tipsy Texan sandwich on the right, and a Big Red overlooking the madness.  I’m not too bad of a glutton, I only ate about 75% of what you see below.

The Tipsy Texan ($8.00) : Chopped beef sandwich with sliced sausage.  Added coleslaw for free.  This could easily satisfy two so the $8 price tag was pretty reasonable.  Mouth-watering chopped beef and slow cooked sausage piled high with a heap of slaw to cut down the fat a bit.  Pickles and raw onions also available upon request.

Antacids are available at the CVS around the corner… I took advantage :) .  So what’s your favorite barbecue joint?  How long are you willing to wait for road trip worthy grub?

Franklin Barbecue on Urbanspoon

16 comments on “Austin: Franklin Barbecue and the Tipsy Texan

1. Shawn says:

YOU MUST TRY Torchy’s Tacos before you leave Austin!

2. Bob Smith says:

How can you do this when I am nowhere near a Texas BBQ joint? This is naught but a cruel, cruel tale.

3. kikurage says:

I am shocked to see The Tipsy Texan, looks like a mountain of meat with a pan snow. I need a fork or chopsticks to eat. And I am surprised at the price “8.00$”. It is valuable to wait one or two hours wait. Thanks good reviews.

4. Rodzilla says:

Feeling the local reviews.

I waited about an hour for Dinosaur BBQ in Troy New York, but we were able to get drinks down the street and have someone call us..not quite the same as standing in line

5. Old School Mike says:

Being a native central New Yorker, I will go to my grave swearing that the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse is hands down the best bbq I’ve ever had.

-OSM

6. jenne says:

First off…SO jealous of real Texas BBQ! and to answer the question.. my fave BBQ place turned out to be a one shot deal… found a church group on a little corner here in town… best bbq I’ve ever had…best potato salad…best beans… everything… haven’t seen them since….sometimes I think they were a dream… as far as waiting…for the real stuff…Texas or Memphis or KC… I’d wait an hour or more…

7. ljay says:

Spent some time driving around Texas dining at the top bbq spots so it’s always good to read a good bbq review.

These days I order my brisket online at Snows – some of the best brisket in the country I think.

8. Bekah says:

I always like how they throw in the slices of bread. And daaaaamn on that sandwich!Fabulous.

9. Justin ST says:

That is ridiculous. Doesn’t even look appetizing.

10. Josh says:

Slow’s in downtown Detroit is definitely worth the wait. been featured on man vs. food. excellent bbq, would recommend the yardbird sandwich to anyone anywhere. http://slowsbarbq.com/

Check it out if your ever in the D

• Justin ST says:

Slow’s this, Slow’s that. I wish they’d move to a better location. After I read on a message board that cars are broken into all the time there, I disavowed myself of the notion of going there. Detroit is just a hole. The crime and the ridiculous parking prices are keeping me out of there. Too bad they voted down that mass transit plan. What a dumb idea.

I’ll just go to Chicago and have fun instead.

11. T.J. says:

There is nothing like that here in Connecticut. But I want some SO bad. Everything looks delicious.

12. maynardb61 says:

Best barbeque in Texas. My dads, who passed away in 1975.

13. seantae says:

Should of made the trip to The Salt Lick, I dont like barbeque but I love their beef ribs and that sauce is amazing.