Spotted in the Popeyes Test Kitchen: Fried Alligator

Could this be the next crazy item to hit the Popeyes menu? Popeyes Alligator… Nothing confirmed, just an interesting find in the Popeyes test kitchen. Thoughts?

20120620-113445.jpg

21 comments on “Spotted in the Popeyes Test Kitchen: Fried Alligator

1. Ed H says:

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

2. Emily says:

Nope nope nope nope nope

3. ljay says:

Yeah, I’ve had gator plenty of times. Really nothing special about it imo but I would probably grab some at Popeyes just because.

Personally I’d like to see them doing a crawfish boil.

4. Sandy says:

I wonder if it tastes like chicken. ; – )

5. Raiders757 says:

Even though I said I never would, I tried some fried alligator bites at Hog Wild BBQ on Rt. 60 West of Williamsburg, Va. a while back. I was quite surprised to be honest. I really enjoyed them. It’s not the usual menu item one would find at a BBQ joint, but the owners are Cajun, and offer some up some tasty non-BBQ family recipes as well. Love their motto as well. “Don’t trust a skinny chef”.

I will be trying them if they ever get released nationwide or tested in my area.

6. JF says:

So I tried fried allegator a few years ago at a taste of Colorado. I was hesitant, but curious. I thought it would taste like “chicken” (no idea why). But it tasted like… nothing!

It was breaded and it tasted like nothing other than fried batter. And yes, there was meat in there.

So I don’t get why people would even care, and maybe it was a bad batch (or some other reason) but again, it had no taste aside from the batter whatsoever.

I can’t see this being on any menu anywhere, much less on a fast food menu. I get it… Gators… Louisiana… but please…

• Raiders757 says:

There had to be something wrong with ones you tried, because the ones I tried defiantly had a “chickenish” slightly seafood like flavor to the meat.

7. Sam says:

Likely meant for Indonesia, or some other alligator-eating country (I don’t even know if Indonesia eats alligators).

8. Peter says:

I would eat this so hard.

9. Chefprotoss says:

Mad respect if this shows up on my local menu. Even if they do it wrong(I have faith that they won’t), a fast food chain serving alligator takes balls.

10. jenne says:

To me, it tasted like armadillo frankly… yum :) One of my fave meats from my teenaged days…

11. icecycle66 says:

HominuhHominuhHominuh…hell yeah.

12. M86 says:

I tried deep-fried alligator in Florida, and it wasn’t that bad. And yes, it really did taste like chicken!

13. Sarah says:

The best way to eat gator is blackened!

14. [...] known for their desserts, but I tried the Blackberry Pie with cream cheese at last years test kitchen visit and it was pretty good.  Hard to go wrong with sugar, berries and sweet cream [...]