New Bacon McDouble from McDonald’s

When strapped for ideas… add bacon.  The Bacon McDouble is one of the latest promotional items at McDonald’s.

It’s the classic, “Two 100% beef patties simply seasoned with a pinch of salt and pepper, a slice of melty American cheese and topped with tangy pickles, minced onions, ketchup and mustard.” plus bacon.  Available for $1.99.  So the upcharge for adding bacon to a McDouble is 99-cents?  Hmm, might as well just add a cheeseburger.  McDonald’s Math makes my head spin.

33 comments on “New Bacon McDouble from McDonald’s

1. SmoledMan says:

Bacony meaty cheesy goodness on a warm bun, what more could you ask for?

• maxchain says:

An explanation on how they decided the bacon(y) somehow makes the goodness worth twice its price.

• SmoledMan says:

It’s just $1.99 for fish sakes!

• chris says:

The thing that makes me wonder about the $1.99 is… what was the price of ordering a “McDouble with Bacon” before the “Bacon McDouble” arrived?

• Interred Ferguson says:

Confronted with this question, McD bigwigs would no doubt say that the McDouble was no longer 99 cents when the Bacon McDouble was released. All of the McD’s in this area had upped the McDouble to about a buck and a half, so the bacon addition is roughly 50 cents. Those in the know, know that McD’s was actually losing money on the 99 cent McDouble. Like many businesses, their model (a similar model…the rebate scheme..is what killed Circuit City) hoped people would be lured in by the underpriced McDouble, but would make up for it by purchasing the high margin fries and drinks. I could literally hear the disappointment in the clerk’s voice when I’d pull through the drive thru, ordering one simple McDouble, and nothing else….and occasionally have the nards to ask for a cup of ice at pickup, to put my can/bottle of soda in. Most will say the clerks could care less, but I feel plenty realize what is bad for McD’s could well be bad for them.

2. Justin ST says:

They are out of ideas. I’ve been saying for years that McD’s is a trainwreck in disguise. Trying to be a jack-of-all-trades was a mistake, and it’s safe to say that at lunch, I routinely avoid them for other fast food places because they’re too corporate and tasteless. Other joints are starting to take away a lot of their business.

• SmoledMan says:

Qdoba is killing them in the slightly more upscale fast casual.

• Justin ST says:

Qdoba is awful. There are better fast casual Mexican places out there that are cheaper too.

• Joe Cool says:

I can understand if you don’t like it, but Qdoba is hardly “awful”.

• SPM79 says:

Isn’t this the same guy who said Subway and BK are about to go out of business?

• Justin ST says:

@Joe Cool, have you ever been to a decent fast-casual Mexican place? Qdoba is the worst!!!! You must live in the boondocks man. Go to any big city and open your eyes! Free yourself! At least try Moe’s! Plus, what’s up with Qdoba’s prices? It’s not worth 8 dollars for a burrito there, that’s for sure. The best places I’ve gone to usually charged about half, give you fresher food, fresh salsa, fresh shredded cheese and spanish rice and a drink! Yeah, I think Qdoba is awful!

@SPM79, Subway has a lot of up and coming competition that is going to hammer the company. If you travel some, you would understand why they should be scared. Subway is a bubble that will burst.

• TJ says:

Around here they still seem very popular, it’s our Burger King that seems to get very few customers. I rarely have to wait for anyone in line… it’s kind of nice actually lol.

I think McDonald’s does a few things pretty well. I like their McNuggets, fries, and some of their breakfast items. The McDouble and McChicken sandwiches are okay, for the cheap price. Everything else is not worth it for the price to me, as others have said doubling the price for adding bacon is pretty nuts. As long as they still have the stuff I like though, I’ll just happily ignore most of these weirder items.

• RoleModel says:

You sure you weren’t talking about Burger King?

• Justin ST says:

Have you been to Burger King lately? They are getting their act together. The food has never been as bad as McDonald’s though. They just don’t care anymore. Their fries are the absolute pits now. I suggest changing the name to “Cardboard City.” They’ve sacrificed taste to attract all the customers that would never step into a McDonald’s to begin with. It’s a shame. Dump the McCafe garbage for starters. Who orders that stuff? Focus on your food!!!

• Ed H says:

I like the McCafe drinks, I order them more often than I order food for myself when I am there.

• TJ says:

I also think Burger King isn’t as bad as most people here do, but for whatever reason McDonald’s seems to be killing them.

As for McDonald’s fries, I have to assume you’ve never liked them, since they seem the same as they’ve always been to me.

• Justin ST says:

It’s well documented that McDonald’s has changed their method of frying their fries and that they are not the same as in the 90′s. Remember the beef tallow controversy?

McDonald’s has sacrificed their quality for the McCafe and renovating the design of their stores. Naturally, they are more comfortable to eat in and use your laptop/tablet, but the food is lousy. I’d rather have something decent over their corporatized, fake tasting junk. People will figure it out eventually.

3. Spencer K says:

Justin ST, please enlighten us all with what restaurants you believe are acceptable to eat at.

4. Roger says:

Compared to the $1 price it just sits as being high. Now, in a fantasy world, if there was a Bacon McTriple for $1.99 – that would be a steal !!

5. Brad says:

So slices of bacon are worth just as much as the rest of the sandwich? Why not just stuff another sandwich inside instead?

6. CJ says:

Bacon McDouble = Bad idea
    Bacon Double Cheeseburder = Good idea

Especially for the price give me that extra slice of cheese.

7. Biff McGee says:

I’d rather have something at Del Taco! Crispy shrimp, chicken or steak soft tacos and pretty good burgers.

8. Scrape says:

The standard McDouble is a loss-leader. They likely do not make money on it. Rather, they soak you now for the fries (not on dollar menu any more) and drink. The drink is the absolute cheapest thing they serve and where the make real money, along with the fries. The profit on the drink offsets the loss on the McDouble. The Bacon McDouble and the Daily Double are more in line with actual cost with profit. Keep in mind, meat of anykind (the beef or the bacon) is really expensive right now.

BTW, for not much more than McDs, the Tavern Double at Red Robin for 6.99 with bottomless fries (awesome) is a quite a good deal, and quite good tasting. Plus, its a sit-down. And its not as gut busting as their full-sized 10-dollar burgers.

9. Rusty Shackleford says:

Eh, appeal of the original mcDouble was that it was on the dollar menu. Don’t see a single piece of bacon split up into 3rds being worthy of an extra dollar. Peeps that go to Maccas for the $ menu go there to spend less money.. if they wanted to double that, and wanted bacon, I don’t see why they wouldn’t just go to Wendy’s or BK…

• Ed H says:

Man those are my three choices? Wendy’s (a burger place who’s only thing worse than their burgers is their fries), McDonald’s (constantly the same weird flavored burgers) and Burger King (try our cold, wet and sloppy Whopper). I will save my money up and go somewhere else, most likely Smashburger.

10. maynardb61 says:

If I don’t want to cook, I go get a few double cheese burgers and
    some fries. All less than $5. At Mc. D’s. I guess if I needed the bacon, I could sprinkle some bacos on them.

11. [...] via {lang: 'fr'} Tagged with: bacon mcdouble • food • mcdo • McDonald's • mcdonald's fast food • mcdonalds usa • mcdouble  0 Commentaires Leave A Response [...]

12. rondoman says:

So whats the bigger ripoff?

The Daily Double where they charge you 89 cents for some lettuce and a tomato slice, or the Bacon McDouble where they charge you $1 for bacon?

• TJ says:

It’s very close… I’d say they are equal ripoffs haha I went back and forth thinking about this. Lettuce and tomatoes are pretty cheap. But they probably aren’t adding a whole lot of bacon, so that’s bad too.

13. Bob469 says:

Subway has been struggling for quite some time hence the breakfast push… They realized their subs just wernt gonna cut it n keep them alive… Mcd’s tho is far from going under they just have too much money but the McCafe push has cost them alot but coffee is cheap n a way to generate breakfast sales… The people working for them are alot smarter then you and I, hate it or love it…

14. Mike says: