What’s in a Carolina BBQ Whopper? What’s in a Texas BBQ Whopper?

Yesterday we brought you news of test market menu items at a Burger King in Nashville. Amongst the test items were BBQ sandwiches. To be more specific, other than the Pulled Pork Sandwich, these were new styles of Whoppers. What looks good to you? Check them out:

23 comments on “What’s in a Carolina BBQ Whopper? What’s in a Texas BBQ Whopper?

1. Natalie says:

WTF is coleslaw sauce?!

2. Sascha says:

The Carolina BBQ sounds quite good to me, especially if it’s true Pepper Jack. But, that combination would be much better on a broiled chicken patty than a burger.

The Texas one is so-so at best, not a fan of jalapenos or American cheese.

3. Matt says:

So many sauces and toppings that a single Whopper patty would be completely lost….it’s nearly lost amongst the standard lettuce, tomato and onion let alone all this stuff. would need to be a triple to have any kind of impact

4. Scrape says:

Okay, that coleslaw sauce thing has piqued my interest. And no, coleslaw sauce is not just mayo. In fact, some do not have any mayo at all. There is a ton of other stuff in there (I put pineapple juice in mine). You can also buy it at the grocery store.

There is a an expanding local chain around the mid-atlantic called California Tortilla that makes all kinds of different and interesting burritos. They once had (as a summer special) a BBQ pulled pork burrito. It had a decent pulled pork and coleslaw along with other stuff, and it was fantastic. One of the best things like that I ever had. I used to get them twice a week. Although I’m skeptical that BK can pull this off, you can always get an ArbyQ.

5. SkippyMom says:

Where the heck is the BBQ Sandwich in that train wreck? That hot-mess is a misguided attempt to please ALL the people. They should’ve named it anything else but that. Yet another reason to avoid BK.

6. Crysta says:

Why not just use coleslaw instead of only the sauce? lol

7. Royal says:

Texas BBQ should really have onion rings instead of raw onion.

8. SmoledMan says:

Looks like a hot mess.

9. Rusty Shackleford says:

The Carolina one sounds great. Coleslaw sauce? Pepperjack cheese? Yes please. The Texas one seems underhwelming though.. agreed that they should’ve just put onion rings on it. Not a fan of the jalapenos either. It really just looks like the old Angry Whopper, but without the pepperjack, crispy onions, or bacon. Lame.

10. Nick says:

I just want the Big King and the original chicken tenders back.

11. Adam M. says:

Without writing a whole missive about how the ordering process went down, etc…my feeling is that they are testing the three of these to see which ONE of them sells the best. The sandwiches DO seem redundant, and this is the best explanation I can come up with.

Also, because I wanted the sweet potato fries and asked if I could substitute that in a combo. He had to go get his manager to ask (obvious that there was very little training on this since when I asked him what was on the sandwich he hunted around and just handed me the card that you see in the picture) and the manager told me that they were only available as a combo item on “certain ones” which I took to mean the three “BBQ Sandwiches”.