Discussion and Poll: Fast Food Breakfast All Day

Sonic and Jack in the Box… they do it right. The entire menu is available at any time of day. Sometimes you can wake up craving a Sourdough Jack at 7am.

Other times, you’re just in the mood for some scrambled eggs and bacon in between a biscuit for dinner.  What’s so wrong with that?  The restaurants might argue that they are just not equipped to handle all menu items all the time.  It’s a logistics nightmare and when 10:30am hits, the half-hour conversion away from breakfast goes into effect.  Well I’m here to argue that if Jack can do it, everyone else can too.  What fast food menu would you like to see available in its entirety all day?  What breakfast menu items do you crave for lunch or dinner?  For me, I’d be happy with Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Minis for dinner any day of the week.  Some would argue that chicken isn’t really a breakfast food anyways.

So let’s consider the major fast food chains and see who’s out altogether.  Wendy’s doesn’t have breakfast nationwide.   I have yet to encounter breakfast at Arby’s, but it does existTaco Bell is still under going breakfast in test markets (and expanding rapidly). Dunkin’ Donuts has breakfast items available all day, but seriously, DD has always been about breakfast to me no matter how much they expand their other non-breakfast items.  Which fast food establishments have breakfast only available at breakfast time?  Who’s left from the major players?  McDonald’s, Burger King, Subway, Chick-fil-A, and Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr.

Time to do a reader poll.  Leave your vote and leave some comments.  Who wants a McDonald’s Breakfast Burrito for dinner?  A BK Croissan’Wich for lunch?

44 comments on “Discussion and Poll: Fast Food Breakfast All Day

1. Ben says:

I’ve been wishing for McDonald’s all day breakfast for what seems like my entire life, and made a pest of myself about it to anyone I’ve known who worked there. I’m still not giving up hope.

• Mike N says:

Although it’s not quite the same, McDonalds is testing a McBakery line in New England, featuring muffins, danish, etc. It’s designed to compliment their McCafe line to compete directly with Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc. Although technically considered breakfast items, McBakery is available all day.

2. Jon says:

i will punch someone in the face if they vote for anything other than CFA or micky D’s breakfast all day

3. Natalie says:

I think you can get all day breakfast at Subway already.

I loved when CFA came out with the chick-n-minis because now you can get chicken nuggets all day..but I’d love to see all day breakfast at Chick-fil-A and Taco Bell.

4. Chefprotoss says:

How could anyone pick cfa over hardee’s? A fresco thickburger on the greatest fast food item ever… hardee’s biscuit. Need I say more?

• Dug says:

You might want to looking into saying less, despite the fact that on this one point, for once, I agree with you.

• Raiders757 says:

If I want a fast food chicken sandwich, here’s no way I’ll take Hardee’s, or anyone else over CFA. Even if I’m the mood for a burger, I’ll pass one up if a CFA is near. Now for breakfast, I’ll take Hardee’s over CFA. I remember when Hardee’s was the only fast food place you could a bacon egg & cheese biscuit from. My father would take there during breakfast hours, and the line would be wrapped around the place. For me, as a kid, it was a true treat to get a Hardee’s breakfast biscuit. Now everyone serves them, and it’s not s special anymore. These days, Bojangles is my go to fast food breakfast, and they do indeed serve it all day long.

5. Crysta says:

Chick-fil-A breakfast all day would be awesome. I love their biscuits and the chicken minis.

6. Steven says:

I would be happy if fast food restaurants had at least a few breakfast/egg items on the menu all day. I can see where having to be prepared for the full variety of menu choices might be a problem – especially biscuits which need to be baked perhaps. An item like a breakfast burrito is not that difficult to whip up 24/7 – which is why Sonic does it well. Jack-in-the-Box has a very non-standardized kitchen layout and cooking methodology which is why they can prepare anything at any time.

McDonald’s could easily do their breakfast burritos 24/7 since they are a mix and maybe keep muffins going as well which would keep the round eggs which are easier to cook versus the folded yellow eggs.

At the VERY LEAST maybe they could offer extended breakfast hours on weekends – brunch! The 24/7 restaurants might also switch over to breakfast before 4-5 in the morning like most do now. If I’m up that late or up really early I’d rather have breakfast!

7. Chris says:

I think the reason behind it comes down to basic economics. To be honest I would eat breakfast all the time if it was offered. What happens though is breakfast ends up being cheaper compared to a lunch/dinner entree.

So in all i’d end up spending a good 1-2$’s less during a visit if breakfast was offered all day. If i get a chicken biscuit fro chick fi la instead of a sandwhich, its a good 2$ cheaper (though i guess you could argue less food…) In an era where a slice of cheese (see mcdouble) being cut saves the company a ton of money, this adds up.

Though it would result in happier customers, the company ends up getting a headache because they have to prepare the employee’s + product for the full menu all the time and they lose money by providing the customer choice. Add in also that you have to deal with a whole new overhead of being able to provide the product all day and over supplying and its not worth it. That’s what i believe the reasoning behind it is.

8. JC says:

Went to college in North Carolina and so miss my Bo-Berry Biscuit from my favorite fast food chain Bojangles at 1am.

• Raiders757 says:

Oh man, those are so damn tasty. It’s Bo-Time tomorrow morning for sure.

• JC says:

very jealous, need to make the 12 hr drive to get my fix from NJ. Man I wish they did mail order or had them in the frozen food section like White Castle does.

9. SkippyMom says:

The three things I would wish for in all day breakfast are the CFA minis [one of the very few fast food items that are, amazingly enough, low in sodium] and McDonald’s sausage mcmuffin, no egg with a hash brown. I could eat that meal all day long with a fountain coke – it is such comfort food to me – the combination.

We don’t have JITB here [we used to 40 years ago] and Sonics are few and far between. Guess we’ll have to wait until we go to the beach to find one. :)

10. Old School Mike says:

My first job was at a McDonalds and if someone asked for a breakfast item during non breakfast hours we would make it for them. It would take about 20 minutes to prepare but if they were willing to wait then we would make it.

-OSM

11. Chipster22 says:

I’m not a big fan of breakfast foods, so I’m wishing for lunchtime items available 24/7.

• Sascha says:

Rally’s opens up at 8am (at least around here in Michigan) with their regular menu.

If Hardee’s breakfast is still of the same quality it was 15 years ago when I could regularly frequent it, then this conversation is over.

12. I love BK’s Croissan’Wiches. I could eat them any time of day.

13. Jade says:

McDonalds all the way because Subway branches always smell nasty to me, BK doesn’t do Croissan’Wiches over here, and the other chains aren’t over here at all :D Anyway, a Sausage McMuffin meal is a guilty pleasure of mine, especially now I live about an hour away from the nearest McDonalds. Somehow the bagel sandwiches just aren’t as good.

McDonalds UK gets points docked for having the worst ‘Big Breakfast’ platter ever though. All we get is a sausage patty, hash brown, scrambled eggs and a split toasted English muffin. That’s just a deconstructed Sausage McMuffin! Terrible. We do have much better bacon though, and HP sauce :D

14. Rusty Shackleford says:

I picked McDonalds, but I would also like for Krystal to serve breakfast all day.. the scramblers, plate breakfasts, and breakfast sandwiches are all pretty solid across the board. With all the other places, there’s usually only 1 or 2 things that I would get.

• Satyr says:

I’m with you on Krystal. The Kustom Kountry Breakfast (yeah, that is how they spell it) is always a winner. If not for the price alone, you can’t beat getting over easy eggs on a breakfast platter at a fast food place… grits too.

15. Jack says:

McDonald’s Hot Cakes and Hash Browns at all times of the day? Yes, please!

16. Sherm says:

How hard could it possibly be to make a sausage, egg & cheese mcmuffin during non-breakfast hours? Do they even cook those things? Make it happen, Micky D’s!

17. KTK says:

I like breakfast foods, but I usually don’t eat them during “breakfast” times because my stomach doesn’t take to heavy breakfasts well. The last time I went out for breakfast, the McDonald’s around here was charging like $4 for a sausage and egg McMuffin. I thought that was steep, but the $1 Sausage burritos are still good. BK has pretty good croissant sandwiches too.

The rest, I’ve never eaten at.

18. M86 says:

Personally, I’m not big on breakfast food (I can’t stand eggs)… Although I do have fond memories of eating those hash browns and cinnamon-raisin biscuit thingys from Hardee’s as a kid.

• Echo710 says:

I don’t like eggs either (and I hate bacon!), but even though I wouldn’t want those things specifically, there are plenty of options that I like from the McDonald’s breakfast menu… hotcakes, biscuits, bagels, hash browns, etc.

Breakfast all day at McDonald’s would be awesome. As for those who don’t think this is a great idea… I am forced to come to the conclusion that you are not human.

Then again, I’ve been accused of not being human for my hatred of eggs and bacon…

19. kikurage says:

McDonald’s pancake and coffee are easy taking and eatable taste.
    I think that’s balance is upon a head.

20. Murray says:

One time, I pulled into a24-hour McD’s at a few minutes before 4 AM only to find that the breakfast does not START until 4:00 AM. I am lobbying for breakfast to start earlier. Anyone with me?

21. Hammy says:

I work the night shift so, YES to all of them!

22. Cynthia says:

Just the thought of being able to order and eat a Sausage McMuffin and hash browns any time I want makes me hungry right now!

23. lz says:

Since I don’t have CFA or Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr. near me, I can only say McD’s for all-day breakfast. However, some 24-hour McD’s already switch to the breakfast menu at midnight here. It’s not like it’s so hard to do, since most of their food, scrambled eggs included, are already pre-made from a factory.

24. Jim says:

I voted Hardees, but McDonald’s comes in a close second. In this area of TN, McDonald’s gives Hardee’s a good run for biscuit quality. I would buy the $1 sausage biscuit anyday for lunch.

25. Lancaster says:

McDonald’s is practically the anti-Taco Bell in how unhip and unexciting they are, but they do, for all intents and purposes, own fast food breakfast. All the more remarkable considering how comparatively little that menu has changed over the years; the classics are still the main draw, with the iconic Egg McMuffin more or less the same as it was in ’72.

26. Lindsay says:

McDonald’s. For the simple fact that I LOVE Egg McMuffins and I rarely get to have them for breakfast!

27. Daniel Fletcher says:

Most of the Subways I frequent in central New York state do breakfast all day now. I love the breakfast BMT.

28. Noodlez says:

I had to vote McD’s just cause they are everywhere. And I can always go for their biscuits and gravy.
    Whataburger does burgers 24hrs yet breakfast from 11pm to 11am so no reason they couldn’t do it all day.

29. matt in the hatt says:

i want the opposite, i want lunch/dinner food served all day. i work midnights and when i get off i dont want breakfast

30. Prisoner17 says:

If McDonald’s sold sausage mcmuffins all day, the local McD’s would get at least $100 more out of me a month and I’d weigh an extra 100lbs. It is probably better for me that they don’t.

31. Ed H says:

McDonald’s Steak, Egg & Cheese Bagel all day please! Or at least a burger made from that glorious, greasy meat disk.

32. somesteve says:

should be all day! This is America! I enjoy McDonald’s offerings for breakfast.