Food for Thought: Spelling and Pronunciation

I know I can’t be the only one who does this, so I figured I would call myself out on it and to see if others struggle the same as I do.  I am horrible at spelling sandwich, I misspell it every single time and have to go back and correct it.  The sad thing is that I misspell it in a different way almost every time.  A classic way of how I write it is sandwitch.  A sandwitch is not something you eat, it is in fact a person that you never want to encounter on your trip to the desert:

The other way I type it looks like this:

Sandwhich

I hate that word with a passion.  The only thing I like about the word sandwich is that I can say it correctly.  Unlike oregano.  I love oregano on my subs, I come from New York and it is a staple to have it on every sub I make.  The only thing is every time I try to pronounce it, I make a fool of myself.  I always say “can you add or-e-gano on that”?  They typically look at me like I have three bald heads rather than one and then quickly correct me.  My response is typically the same overused joke “I or-e-gano, you or-e-gano, we all or-e-gano”.  Then I bow my head in shame as they exchange an odd glance followed by a nod.

What words do you hate typing or trying to pronounce that relate to food?

18 comments on “Food for Thought: Spelling and Pronunciation

1. Ryan says:

Gyro is pronounced “yeero” right? I botch that once in a while and say it like it’s spelled.

Gruyere I’m not good at either.

But you can’t spell sandwich? Your parents must have dropped you on your bald head when you were a baby.

2. SkippyMom says:

The sandwitch made me laugh. And you call yourself a food blogger, yeesh. :wink:

Not to change the topic, but I finally had a chance to try the new BK fries and I don’t know why everyone here hates them [dislikes?] The ones we had today were delicious. It might help that they were fresh and very hot, but I found them comparable to a Wendy’s fry. I only ate a few, but I could’ve polished off the whole box. They were that good.

We are going to get our free ones tomorrow with the green ketchup. :D

• Mitchery says:

I never really considered myself a big french fry guy, I either really like them or really don’t like them. I’m kind of to that extreme about everything in life. I didn’t mind their last version of their french fries and didn’t see a need for changing them. The change they made was quite a drastic one too. I agree that they taste like Wendy’s old fries in a way. Although, BK’s new fries are much thicker. It almost feels like I am sticking half of a baked potato in my mouth when I eat one. Mcdonalds will always be my trophy fry. I also love Chick-Fil-A’s waffle fries.

• wenkie says:

When they are hot out of the fryer the BK fries aren’t bad. They’re about the only think I’d eat there..

3. Chefprotoss says:

I’m such a bad speller, I’m suprised Ryan lets me write for the site. I can only imagine the headaches he gets from editing my drivel. =P

4. Cecil says:

Worcestershire… that is the worst food word to say/type ever. It doesn’t help that everyone says or spells it in some alternate form. I hate it with a passion.

5. Ro says:

It annoys me to hear “bruschetta” pronounced as “broo-SHETT-ah”.

6. Chefprotoss says:

I have found pronouncing it as “worst-ih-shire”, works well. Not at all how it’s spelled or read phonetically , but it feels right, lol.

7. alex says:

This only bothers me because I see it a million times and it is so simple, but soooooo many people spelled “lose” as “loose”. I hate it.

8. Murray says:

Resturant…no wait, restruant..restaurant…$%^&*.

What’s most embarassing is when you can’t even get close enough for spell check to make a sensible suggestion.

It’s always a bit humbling when you can’t spell words which are integral to your profession…or is it proffesion.

9. Mike N says:

Until the Gwen Stefani song came out, I never spelled bananas correctly!

10. jen says:

I have dyslexia so me and spelling is not good! I pronounce things wrong all the time, I blame it on my mass and nh accents, yes I have both lived in each state so they kinda get lost together lol!

11. rob says:

Any kind of bread whether it is Bruschetta or Ciabatta, I just want a freaking sandwich, the sandwich should consist of stuff between two slices of bread, if the name of the bread is more complicated than “French” or “Italian” then I pronounce it “Shove it up your ***,” as in “I’d like the Artisan Grilled Cheese Sandwich on the Shove It Up Your *** Bread, please.”

12. Mr. Fed Up says:

AWESOME POST! I love good food, but I hate the fact I can’t say half of what I order sometimes…I walked into a fancy cheese shop the other day and sounded like an idiot trying to figure out how to say pecorino romano, parggimago reggaino, espoisse, selles sur chere, chvere, bierkase, etc….I think I may just stick to cheddar in the future.

13. Lindsay says:

Or – egg -in – o (now say it faster). :)