McDonald’s Shamrock Shake Is Back

How many of you actually look forward to late-February and the return of the McDonald’s McCafe Shamrock Shake?  This green, frosty treat is available for about four weeks every year at McDonald’s and I’ve never been moved enough to get one.  Back in 2009 we did a poll pitting the Shamrock Shake against the Mint Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen and DQ won easily.  So anyways, the Shamrock Shake is back for another run and I’ll continue to hold out for a Shamrock McFlurry with Oreos which seems like a much better idea.

15 comments on “McDonald’s Shamrock Shake Is Back

1. Mike N says:

I miss the fake shakes. I liked the old-school Shamrock Shake back in the Uncle O’Grimacey days.

2. Mitchery says:

I love the shamrock shake.. Only problem is I feel like an elephant after sucking one down in a matter of seconds.

3. Dave says:

I don’t think they taste like they used to. There is a “gloppy” texture to their shakes these days that really turns me off. Doesn’t seem like the true milkshakes of old.

4. Andrew Wiskow says:

If what’s in the photo is what they’re serving these days, these have changed a LOT from what they used to be. Shamrock shakes used to be just like all the other shakes, only they were green instead of the standard white, brown, or pink of vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry. Personally, I never cared for the minty shakes, and adding whipped cream and a cherry on top and making it all swirly looking really isn’t going to change that.

5. Lindsay says:

Ick. :) They should swirl it with some Thin Mints!

6. Jeff says:

This tastes better than it was when I was a kid, and I loved it back then. Of course back then it was a dollar, and now it’s closer to two bucks. Still, it’s a nice indulgence for the short time they offer it.

7. Nick Rovo says:

I still don’t understand why they don’t use the chocolate shake as a base for this. I feel like that would work so much better.

8. Scrape says:

This is NOT a shamrock shake, it is just a SHAM! It’s only creme de menth syrup in their softserve and blended. Nothing special. The REAL shamrock shake was a solid hue of minty green, the crystaline ice texture, and that oh-so-wonderful toothpasty flavor. It was fabulous, it is no longer. In fact, now it is just disgusting.

Wendy’s has the same problem with the frosty. Now they just swirl chocolate syrup into the vanilla frosty mix. It ain’t the real deal unless it comes out of the machine in finished form.

When will they ever learn.

9. Sascha says:

One thing that has happened lately, is that Burger King has surpassed McDonald’s in the ice cream treat department every since debuting the new product last year. The BK shakes are miles ahead of McD’s shakes and McD’s shakes are miles ahead of what they used to serve. The BK Egg Nog shake was one of the best shakes I’ve ever had, fast food or otherwise.

All that being said, I’m simply hoping for BK to copy this one as well and bring out their own version of the Shamrock. Perhaps, using a chocolate base.

10. Lylat says:

Well i already had these like 5-6 times over the past few weeks i love them so damn much well worth the $2.79-Medium i paid.

11. Mike N says:

It’s interesting that the GrubGrade croud seems to prefer the old style straight out of the machine shakes (I don’t know how better to describe them, although I’m reminded of Krusty Brand Partially Gelatinated Non-Dairy Gum-Based Beverages…) I don’t know if I remember correctly, but I thought the old pre-McCafe shakes were priced close to sodas…

12. Mike N says:

It’s interesting that the GrubGrade crowd seems to prefer the old style straight out of the machine shakes (I don’t know how better to describe them, although I’m reminded of Krusty Brand Partially Gelatinated Non-Dairy Gum-Based Beverages…) I don’t know if I remember correctly, but I thought the old pre-McCafe shakes were priced close to sodas…

13. Amanda says:

So exactly how minty is the McDonald’s shakes, is it just slight or overpowering?