Food for Thought: Sugar Wafers

Sugar wafers to me are a mystery junk food item because it’s junk food that makes you thirsty.  If you ever have to make a trip to the desert and the only thing in your survival kit are sugar wafers, then you are going to have the worst time of your life.

I first encountered the infamous sugar wafer when I was around 8 years old.  I came in from playing a couple of games of basketball and was aching for something sweet to give me more energy so I can dunk on my playschool basketball hoop.  I opened up the cabinet and saw something that could trigger my sugar high.  The classic vanilla sugar wafer I quickly opened the bag and shoved one into my mouth and then reached for the second one.  Within seconds I was so parched that I started to dry heave.  The sugar particles started to clasp onto the back of my throat and choked me to near death.  It was the first time in my life that I realized that junk food will eventually kill me.  As an adult I love sugar wafers because they taste great with coffee.  Ever realize that the original coffee mate is the vanilla sugar wafer?  Have a look:

What was your least favorite junk food that your parents bought for you as a child but now finding that you like as an adult?

21 comments on “Food for Thought: Sugar Wafers

1. Manavee says:

Maybe Fig Newtons? Wait, I still don’t like Fig Newtons so scratch that.

2. kikurage says:

Next I will try the conbination coffee and sugar wafers.

3. Mike N says:

Probably dark chocolate, like those Special Dark miniatures that would end up in my Christmas stocking. I think most kids are averse to semi-sweet chocolate, though.

The absolute WORST though is ribbon candy. It always looked good but tasted awful, and yet everyone over age 75 had some in their house.

• Lindsay says:

Ditto the dark chocolate. I always seemed to get it and hate it. Now….I love it. :)

Also, those cherry cordials you get at xmas time. I used to loathe those and I can eat them now.

• Adam says:

Agree on the dark chocolate. I remember pulling the Special Dark miniatures out of my Halloween candy to give to my mom. Now if I see a bowl of miniatures, I pull it the Special Darks for me.

• Christina says:

I love dark chocolate, but we never got that as kids. We did get Snickers and Reese’s cups. I love both of them now and they come in the dark chocolate variety! Score!

• Manavee says:

Good call on the Special Darks. When I was a kid, those Hershey Variety Packs had a definite hierarchy to them:

1. Krackel
      2. Hershey
      3. Mr Good Bar
      4. Special Darks: and the Special Darks were a very distant 4th.

Now, I still like the Krackels the best, but Special Darks would probably be 2nd, Mr. Good Bars 3rd, and plain Hersheys 4th.

4. Kat says:

Little Debbie Nutty Bars, and I still don’t like them!

5. Shauna says:

My dad LOVED Keebler’s Pecan Sandies cookies, so they were always in the house. I guess because there was no chocolate present, they didn’t count as “cookies” to me at the time, therefore I boycotted them like an idiot.

I don’t know what the heck was wrong with me then, because now shortbread cookies are some of my favorites!

6. Daveo says:

So true about dark chocolate! Hated it and now love it. They had a commercial for Hershey’s Miniatures where there was a bunch of kids in a tree and the mother would call out, “What kind of candy do you want?” and each kid would yell a different variety. Always wondered what little freak would ask for Special Dark.

7. icecycle66 says:

Star Crunch.
    Since we were so poor we had to shake the government issued milk to make butter, all we could afford were 10 cent little debbies. The store near my house would open up ua box of little debbies that didn’t sell so well and sell them one at a time for a dime a piece. It was usually star crunch.

When i was tiny, the rice crispies would cut and otherwise hurt my gums and mouth.

Now as an adult, one of my favorite things to do is to cram 2 star crunches into my face with the back of my hand and bite down. That scratchy hurty feeling is now pleasent and sentimental event.

8. rob says:

I’m the guy that buys the dark chocolate for the office candy jar … never realized some people don’t like dark chocolate.

9. jessie says:

Grilled cheese was never something I was that into. Now I love me a grilled cheese. I think it was just the American cheese that needed to get replaced before it began to get appealing, though.

• Mitchery says:

I just recently tried grilled cheese without the american cheese and it was an interesting spin. I replaced it with cheddar and man was it sharp. Also threw in some bacon.

10. CulinaryZerg says:

I do love me some sugar wafers, but hell if they ain’t the most unhealthy snack food around (and I’ll eat almost anything). Basically mix enormous amounts of sugar with solidified fat, sandwich between some wafers.

11. Mike C says: