Fish McBites from McDonald’s

Spotted at the TCU campus in Fort Worth, Texas… Fish McBites from McDonald’s.  Last year McDonald’s went nationwide with their Chicken McBites (read our full review) so the next logical step would have to be fish right?  Checker’s did it too with a version known as Fish Bites.  Thanks to GrubGrade reader Chris for the pics.

Free sample today through Thursday (at least at this specific location in Fort Worth shown below)

Priced pretty similarly to the Chicken McBites, the Fish McBites come with a tartar sauce dipper.

45 comments on “Fish McBites from McDonald’s

1. jrdunn says:

any word if mcD’s is going to have a filet o fish special for lent?

2. Manavee says:

For the life of me, I don’t understand why they don’t upgrade their fish at McDonald’s. They’ve upgraded their burgers with the Angus line and they’ve updated their chicken with both the select line and their regular chicken sandwiches….all with good success.

IMO, the Filet O Fish is awful and is also in need of an upgrade. It tastes weird and the tartar-ish sauce they use sticks to the top of your palate like Elmer’s Glue. Burger King, of all places, has a much better fish sandwich then McDonalds.

Fish “McBites” don’t sound like the upgrade I’m looking for.

3. jrdunn says:

i would say (an no expert) the reason they dont upgrade is because the only reason they upgrade their beef is to keep up with competition. Also since beef and chicken are their major players, they will have more people looking to pay the premium. I am betting that if they upgrade to a better fish people who actually do get a fish will stick with the regular and very few will upgrade making the cost not worth it.

4. rondoman says:

I fresh Filet-O-Fish still hot and crispy is simply delicious!

5. Rika says:

Coming soon: Beef Mcbites

It’s the next logical step.

6. Scott says:

Where is this grubgrader Chris and how do I find him. I go to TCU and saw that today too. I want to meet this guy!

7. Sascha says:

Nice of McDonald’s just to copy Checkers/Rally’s these days. Well, their chicken bites don’t compare to the bites at Checker’s or the popcorn at KFC, maybe they’ll do better with the fish.

8. chris says:

@Scott…I work about 5 min from mcds…

9. Spencer says:

Hey TCU kids, know where I can find a good dealer on campus? mine’s not returning my calls. Pony up!

10. Mitchery says:

Man this looks awesome! Look at the fish popping out of the bread! Why does it never happen where I am?

11. Lindsay says:

They look pretty interesting, I would be interested in trying but part of what I love about the Filet-O-Fish is eating it as a sandwich.

12. ljay says:

Looks like my once a year McDonalds visit is coming up for a double filet o fish (no cheese please) and some mcfish mcbites.

I love fish.

• ljay says:

Dropped by the local McDonalds today. No Fish McBites..no double filet of fish. Had to get some catfish from Wishbones to satisfy the craving for now.

13. deb says:

I’ve been reading your site for over a year, but have never posted.

Speaking of fish, I just got the Arby’s ad in the mail which mentions grub grade! I didn’t see the news mentioned here. Congrats!

14. [...] new Fish McBites were first spotted by a GrubGrade reader at a McDonald’s in Fort Worth, Tex. A commenter then [...]

15. [...] new Fish McBites were first spotted by a GrubGrade reader at a McDonald’s in Fort Worth, Tex. A commenter then [...]

16. chris says:

You should try a fish mac…big Mac with fish…..really really good…get it all the time!

17. chris says:

Just order a big Mac and ask them to put fish on it jnstead of beef….do the same thing in the morning with the mcgriddle …put chicken instead of sausage and you have a poor mans chicken and waffels…

18. somesteve says:

no thanks. i eat meat on fridays.

19. Jeff in Middletucky says:

Hopefully these’ll have more fish in ‘em than the Chicken McBites have chicken (we refer to these as Breading McBites, because, seriously, a vegetarian could plow through a carton or two of these things and not feel a single pang of guilt).

20. [...] Hit up our friends at GrubGrade for even more pics! [...]

21. Sandy says:

For some reason, theses look scary too me and I’ve never met a Friday Night Fish Fry I haven’t liked.

22. Tristan says:

Filet o fishes are awesome

23. Jhaynes says:

The fish mcbites taste funny…er… I mean gross. The tartar sauce didn’t have a real tartar sauce taste. Now I’m having tummy problems from the fish mcbites or the tartar sauce.

24. [...] came out with a new snackable chicken called Chicken McBites.  What followed since was Fish McBites and now a spicy version of the chicken. Spicy Chicken McBites were just given a wide release and I [...]

25. [...] no coincidence that Fish McBites made their first appearance during a test run last February, also during Lent—the period leading up to Easter when Catholics traditionally don’t eat beef, [...]

26. [...] no coincidence that Fish McBites made their first appearance during a test run last February, also during Lent—the period leading up to Easter when Catholics traditionally don’t eat beef, [...]