Layover at O’Hare? Must Visit Tortas Frontera

The most underutilized food in quick-serve Mexican grub is the Mexican sandwich known as the torta.  For me, it’s tough finding one outside of a Baja Fresh chain. If you happen to be at O’Hare Airport in Chicago, do yourself a favor and seek out Tortas Frontera at either Terminal 1 – B11 or Terminal 3 – K4. Grub this good shouldn’t be limited to an airport terminal.  I’m strapped for time and on the west coast at the moment so this will be a quick post to put my beloved torta on your minds.

What I got?

Chipotle Chicken Torta$9.50  (poblano rajas, black beans, Chihuahua cheese, cilantro crema, avocado, arugula)

With a side of chips and (big) guacamole $5.00.

13 comments on “Layover at O’Hare? Must Visit Tortas Frontera

1. Sherm says:

I couldn’t agree with you more about tortas being under-appreciated. When made correctly, they’re up there with some of the best sandwiches in the world. And, let’s face it, you can only have so many tacos and burritos, even when you have a craving for good Mexican food.

Rick Bayless is one of the best chefs in this country, and it seems like even though this is an airport restaurant, he makes sure the quality stays impeccable. He has somewhat of a restaurant empire in the Windy City, with places ranging from high-end to basic taco stands. I’d love to get out there and try some of his food.

2. hydog says:

I concur – great place to grab some grub while at ORD.

3. Justin ST says:

Xoco in the city is the better version of this place.

4. laurafizzpop says:

Gosh that looks amazing. The guacamole alone has me droolin’. I’ve never really bothered to try the schmancy expensive gourmet Mexican fare, but this is making me wonder what I’m missing. Gotta say that price makes me a little cross-eyed, though.

Great. Now I have to get dressed at 2am and go fill this torta craving you gave me. I’m suddenly very glad I live in Houston so I’m never more than five minutes and $5 away from a delicious torta at one of the hundreds of 24 hour taquerias in my neighborhood.

5. Mike N says:

Rick Bayless always creeps me out, with all the googley-eye making between him and his daughter. I do hear his food’s pretty good though.

There’s a good rant about Bayless’ creepiness here: http://www.youjustmademylist.com/?p=6007

6. SkippyMom says:

I do not like guacamole, but even I can tell that is amazing. Never had a torta, but sure would like one now. It looks great.

7. Seeker says:

I’ve sworn off Baja Fresh for the most part since I’ve never had anything but crappy Mexican “fresh” styles there in the past, but that torta from the older review looks pretty tasty. Though unlikely I’d go there again since a taco truck is about a 5 minute walk from there and makes everything awesome.

That is one damn good looking torta and gives me a hankering for one sometime soon, but it has that airport food pricing. Good to know of a good place in O’Hare if I ever fly through it though, it reminds me of finding Ruby’s in Fort Worth on the recommendation of another food site for a great burger.

8. wibia says:

It looks really good….even if it wasn’t in an airport. Ha ha, love the smack about his daughter. The cookbook they made together is not all that bad.

9. Ali says:

That is a good amount of guac for $5 considering you also get two small containers of salsa and you’re buying it in an airport. I’ve spent just as much or more on truly terrible guacamole in measly containers. Xoco is amazing and this looks nearly as good. Now I’m craving gaucamole…. mmmmm.