Food for Thought: Diagonal Slice

Is it me, or do things taste better when they are sliced diagonally?  I remember when I was younger, my mom once made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that was cut from the top right side to the bottom left side.  I took one look at it and thought to myself “Why”?  Within seconds after the point of the crust hitting my taste buds, I realized that my mother was a genius.  She was somehow able to make the simplest and most favored kid sandwich, even better.  From that point forward I was hooked.  Whenever someone put a rectangle shaped unsliced sandwich in front of me, I became outraged.  I literally would hold my fist up to the air and declare war on the maker, and the contents between the bread.  A war that quickly ended with my fists smashing into the face of what I thought to be a culinary atrocity.

I sometimes find myself wondering if the creator of the club sandwich was as into diagonal slices as I am.  After all, a club sandwich has 4 diagonally cut pieces.  The club is basically the completed Triforce of all sandwiches.

That’s my food for thought for the day.  How do you like your sandwiches sliced?

20 comments on “Food for Thought: Diagonal Slice

1. Ryan says:

You are a clown.

But you’re right… it’s a fact that diagonally slicing your sandwich makes it taste better… I’ve done studies.

2. Rob says:

Jimmy Johns is notorious for not slicing my subs. I feel the rage too.

3. shaunacat says:

Oddly enough, my six year old will almost ALWAYS finish her pb&j that I pack for lunch when it is cut diagonally. When I cut it down the center into two rectangles, it always seems to come back home in her lunchbox with just a few random bites out of the center of each half.

Who knew!

4. rob says:

Especially BLTs, they have to be sliced diagonal, the consequences of not slicing are too terrible to imagine

5. SkippyMom says:

The lunch box theory in our house is – if your sandwich isn’t cut, either Dad made it or Mom is mad at you for not cleaning your room. If it is cut in half [either way] Mom made your lunch and was rushing a bit, but diagonal is preferred. If it is cut in fours [diagonally] then Mom loves you extra special and hopes you have a splendiforous day.

Evidently my kids have a lot of time on their hands and can read a whole bunch into sandwiches.

The only true statement about the sandwich cuts is if it isn’t cut Dad made it. The man does not cut sandwiches. :D

6. Mike N says:

“I order a club sandwich all the time, and I’m not even a member!” — Mitch Hedberg

7. Lindsay says:

My mom would cut rectangles and my dad would cut diagonal. I prefer diagonal for some reason, it’s how I cut my sandwiches now at home and it’s how I will do it for my kids (unless they tell me they like rectangles better!).

8. Rusty Shackleford says:

Real men eat their sandwiches whole!

But seriously, I’ve never felt the need nor desire to slice my own sandwiches. Whenever I eat pre-sliced sandwiches, it always irritates me because they seem more prone to falling apart.

9. wenkie says:

For most sandwiches I’m a whole sandwich person. BUT if I’m having soup (grilled cheese/ tomato) I need a diagonal slice for superior dunking.

10. Natalie says:

My mom always cut my sandwiches into triangles as a kid. I was staying with my grandmother once and she cut my sandwich into rectangles and I refused to eat it.

As an adult I still cut my sandwiches into triangles. It just makes more sense.

11. This is SO true!!! When my husband and I first lived together, I cut his sandwich in half and sent to to work with him. When he came home, he asked me if he could have ‘grown up sandwiches from now on’. I was like, “Uh….what are you talking about?”. Apparently he doesn’t like his sandwiches cut in half. HAHA

I thought the ‘grown up sandwich’ thing was hilarious!

My sandwiches are always cut, but they taste better when it’s on a diagonal!

12. Heather says:

I like my sandwiches (and wraps!) sliced diagonally. They’re more appealing that way.

13. Kat says:

For me:

Grilled cheese sammies MUST be cut into triangles for maximum exposure to dip in tomato soup. BLT’s and tuna or chicken salad into two large diagonals. Other than that I’m not picky. Oh and as for Jimmy Johns if you order on line you can have the sub sliced as many times as you want.

14. Chefprotoss says:

An escalator can never break down. It can only become stairs. Sorry for the convenience.

15. Bree ltc says:

To piggyback on the Mitch Hedberg guys; “How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?”

16. Chefprotoss says:

Fruit on bottom, hope on top.

17. Obbop says:

Made own lunches.

Allowed the 60-cents when the grade-school-level cafeteria offered something edible.

Always made full-slice peanut butter thing.

Chunky.

Brand depended upon what was cheapest.

Frugality was the mantra from those who spawned me.

Likely due to upbringing during Great Depression.

I’m old.

Betcha’ I die off before y’all do.

Barring accidents, violent crime or food poisoning.

Or pandemic, large meteor strikes (or a large number of smaller ones), hostile alien invasion, or whatever scenario is feasible in your life you whippersnappers.