GG Videos: Prince Fielder, Cecil Fielder and McDonald’s

As a fan of the Washington Nationals, I’m a little down over losing the Prince Fielder Sweepstakes to the Detroit Tigers.  That said, as a National League organization, I wouldn’t want to pay 214 million dollars over 9-years either.  You know you’re old when you remember Cecil Fielder during his top playing days and now see a 27 year old Prince Fielder hitting his peak.  Here’s a McDonald’s commercial from 1992 featuring the chubby duo.

8 comments on “GG Videos: Prince Fielder, Cecil Fielder and McDonald’s

1. rob says:

I’m old enough to remember Cecil in his prime.

Having Cabrera/Fielder hitting 3/4 is going to be awesome.

2. Keith says:

A fond baseball memory of my childhood was watching Cecil leg out a triple after hitting a gapper. It wasn’t pretty, but he got it done.

Anyway, the Nats would have been screwed if they tied up that much cash in one player – be patient. Strasburg and Harper are on their way.

• Keith says:

I also had to look it up – Cecil had 7 career triples in 13 seasons. I witnessed history!

For comparison, Prince already has 9… which is amazing considering the incredibly shrinking ballpark.

3. Al Jolson says:

The best part is that Prince Fielder is a vegetarian now.

4. SkippyMom says:

I remember when a cheeseburger was 69 cents.

We are Nats fans too – and for 214 million, at 27 years old? They can have him. I’m not shedding one tear over that.

5. Manavee says:

I have about 100 Cecil Fielder rookie cards. He used to be kind of a bum when he first started in the major leagues (then he went to Japan and came back and was great). In the 80s, Toys R Us used to sell packs of like 300 Topps baseball cards. They would be wrapped in clear plastic so they would put a semi decent card on top and then it would be nothing but crap cards underneath. And Cecil Fielder, being not that good at the time, was often in those “filler” cards.

Of course, the market for baseball cards is now completely bottomed out (from what I understand) so they’re probably not worth much nowadays anyway.

6. KTK says:

I’ve lived my whole life in and around Milwaukee, so as a Brewers fan it’s hard to see him go. With that said, I’m glad it was Detroit and not, say, the Cubs. Secondly, that’s just too much cash to tie up in such a small market like the Brewers.

It is kind of ironic that (as mentioned earlier) Prince is a Vegetarian now. It’s also kind of crazy that a McDouble, which is only missing a slice of cheese, is 19 cents cheaper than an Double cheeseburger 20 years ago. It’d be hard pressed to find anything else that’s held a price in that amount of time.

• George says:

I was going to say the same thing. A Double Cheeseburger is the same price at it was is 1992. Interesting how they’ve kept the costs down all this time.