Testing: Cantina Bell Menu from Taco Bell

Attention Louisville, Kentucky and Bakersfield, CA: The Cantina Bell Menu from Taco Bell is coming your way on Thursday, January 26th.

Created by Miami chef Lorena Garcia. Since it will be in test to gauge consumer reaction, it will only be in a couple of markets at this time – Louisville, KY and Bakersfield, CA. The items include $5 tacos, burritos and bowls featuring black beans, cilantro rice and grilled corn salsa, among other new recipes

36 comments on “Testing: Cantina Bell Menu from Taco Bell

1. Daisy says:

I remember back when the chalupas came out they also had Santa fe style which had like a roasted corn and beans in it, those were my fav!!

2. Justin ST says:

I have to admit, I’m excited. Somewhat.

3. Kayleigh says:

I’m sure it’s nothing like it sounds, but this is a really great idea for taco bell! The picture of that bowl looks awesome…too bad it would be nothing like that :)

4. Jack says:

I thought they done did this before , or at least they had the word “cantina” and tacos before and were trying to sell off higher-class tacos. So i guess it’s not really the same exact thing

5. Bob says:

Yeah, I remember those cantina tacos from a year ago….soft corn tortillas, cilantro, and a real lime wedge. They looked *awesome* in the picture. So I tried a few of the carnitas ones (I think I was more excited about the fact they added pork to the menu). Awful.Lot of onions, almost no pork, and the tortillas were soggy. They disappeared from the menu a few weeks later, never to return….thank god! Not sure if they were a test product here in NJ, or if they were everywhere…

Hope these are better because they sound promising, but I won’t get my hopes up….

6. Steven says:

I’m going to stick with Chipotle! No thanks TB!

7. Chefprotoss says:

Why can’t they just release a volcano cheesy gordita crunch? I wish these companies would just stick to what they are good at.

• Mikey F Baby says:

that sounds awesome

• Jimmy says:

But you can get that, if you wanted. Just ask them to add volcano sauce and cheese to a gordita crunch.

• Chefprotoss says:

I know. I already reviewed that for this site. My point is that it should be a promo item. Cool fun wacky stuff is what makes taco bell great. Not lackluster carnitas.

• Billy says:

Agreed. The Cheesy Gordita Crunch is still one of the best things they ever came up with — they really need to play with that idea more. Not that I don’t get a kick out of the 99 cent burritos, but still.

8. Crysta says:

No Chipotle in my town, but I have a Blue Coast Burrito for fast casual Mexican and a Red Burrito for fast food Mexican. I don’t think I’ll be trying this new Taco Bell menu.

9. Keith says:

This is almost exactly what Wendy’s is doing with those black label burgers…. an attempt to compete with fast casual. Fail.

10. SkippyMom says:

What do they say? Something like “Making a silk purse out of sow’s ear?”

I give them 3 weeks. A month max.

11. Rdog says:

You can keep your Chipotle, that place sums up everything that is wrong in America. Yuck. I’ll take TB any day.

• SmoledMan says:

Chipotle sells decent tasting Mexican-style grub. What’s wrong with them?

• Crysta says:

How in the world is Taco Bell better than Chipotle? And how is Chipotle “everything that is wrong in America”? The portions may be large, but it is fresh, healthy food that tastes decent and doesn’t cost much more than the overly processed Taco Bell “food”.

• Jimmy says:

Please, go look at the nutritional information for Chipotle food on their website and, with an honest face, try to tell us that it’s “healthy”. It tastes good, but it sure as hell ain’t healthy.

• Chefprotoss says:

Omit the cheese and sour cream and… tadaa healthy.

• Crysta says:

It’s still a hell of a lot better for you than Taco Bell. Too much of a calorie punch? Eat half and take the rest home. Split it with a friend. Order from the kids’ menu. Skip the cheese and sour cream. Get your “filling” served in a bowl so you lose the calories from the tortilla. Order the vegetarian option.

Taco Bell has little to offer in the way of actual nutrition, whereas Chipotle has fresh vegetables, naturally raised meats, and dairy products made from hormone-free milk. But hey, you want to eat the overly processed “food” at Taco Bell instead… your choice.

12. Nick says:

Are these new tacos going to contain meat actually cooked on premises, or are they still coming to the restaurant pre-cooked in a bag that was prepared at the factory last week & just reheating it?

13. Jenne says:

with over 200 Mexican restaurants in my town (5 within a half mile), that make excellent and authentic tacos for less than a buck… yeah..Taco Bell can keep their expensive little bits of Chipotle wannabees. They should stick to the stuff they do best…cheezy, crunchy, goodness.

14. Thomas says:

Is Lorena Garcia really popular? I only remember her from the trainwreck of Next Top Restruarant or whatever where all the judges came off as idiots.

I’ll be looking forward to the GG review of these. It means I won’t have to be overcharged for something that will likely be mediocre.

15. Chefprotoss says:

I know Ryan, Adam and I won’t be able to review them based on our location, so let’s hope that Murray or Erin get them. I wanna see a review also. I still stand by my opinion that test markets are awful and only show that companies have no faith in their products. This goes for tv shows especially. Clerks The Animated Cartoon was one of the greatest animated sitcoms ever and due to test screenings(where people who weren’t the target demo anyway, grandmothers for example) hating it, and the fact that ABC aired the second episode first(a flash back episode like most sitcoms do, except they just kept flashing back to the first episode. Genius and hilarious, but makes no sense without seeing episode 1) the show was cancelled in less than a month. Testing makes you look like an idiot throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. That goes for any medium that uses this moronic business tactic. Damn that show kicked ass…

16. Adam says:

I had the burrito. It was really nothing like Chipotle and actually kinda gross but I did learn I should take Fire packets to Chipotle from now on.

• Brad says:

Fire packets to Chipotle? The Chipotles around me (Northern Ky) all have just about every flavor of tabasco sauce available. I always drizzle a little of the “Chipotle flavor Tabasco” on for an actual heat kick as oppose to Taco bells “Not so fire” packets.

17. Laura Livingston says:

I had the veggie cantina burrito and loved it. Great to see vegetarian options. I hope they will keep this around for a long time, amazing we are the test city.

18. Sand says:

Just had the veggie Cantina bowl. It was awesome!

19. Sudden Fire says:

I would like to apologize on behalf of Taco bell (I work there) for those with distaste in the Cantina Tacos that were offered. That was the best idea TB ever, ever had yet they just didn’t do them right. Street tacos are the best things in the world: corn tortilla, pork/chicken/steak fajita, cilantro, onion, lime. What a masterpiece. We were only given the tacos, not the whole menu to serve so idk about the other items. However, if TB could manage to use their heads instead of their hairy a$$es then they would realize that if a lone standing truck can dish out a billion cantina tacos in delicious condition, why can’t a whole restaurant? And no, “Nick,” the meat is not cooked on premise. Have you ever worked fast food? Why don’t you try to serve 300 ppl in 3 hours and cook the meat fresh? It’s called fast food, not fresh food, for a reason.