Custom Fast Food: Maple Bacon Goober Topper from Burger King

One of the cool things about fast food is that it allows you to test out the more off-the-wall concepts of taste and adventure without having to commit yourself to a whole lot of cash. Maybe one day I’ll get around to flying out to Minnesota to check out the famous regional style of hamburgers known as “Goober Burgers,” but until I’ve found a way to get the curiously delectable combination of sweet, salty, smokey, and creamy all for just a $1.06.

Three things really helped to make this burger, and a great burger it was. The first is actually Burger King’s new bacon. Thick, smokey, and with a nice helping of chewy fat, it compliments and accents the flame-grilled patty really well. Second, the peanut butter. I used Peanut Butter and Co.’s excellent Mighty Maple Peanut Butter, which brings a tremendous depth of sweetness to the party.

Third, the microwave. A quick zap of peanut butter on top of the burger helps to enhance the warming weight of of the maple flavor, and release some of the fat in the bacon and peanut butter to add richness each bite. Besides, the ooey-gooey factor is better than any half-melted cheese they could throw on at the last second before chucking the regular BK Topper at me through the drive-through window. Here’s a step by step photo instruction to make your own Maple Bacon Goober Topper should you find yourself wanting to mix it up on your next visit to Burger King.

Like my two previous custom fast food creations, I thought the Goober Topper Burger was dang tasty. But then again I’d expect that, seeing as though it managed to hit all the essentials of fast food gluttony with the triple dosage of fat, salt, and sweetness. Now the real challenge comes with making something not only good, but healthy. Anyone have any good ideas? And who else is up for trying a Goober Burger the next time they hit the dollar menu?

18 comments on “Custom Fast Food: Maple Bacon Goober Topper from Burger King

1. Jeff says:

No cheese? No thanks.

2. Chuck says:

I have no qualms here. Well done

3. Justin ST says:

Add some carrots and lettuce and call it a Thai burger.

Time to get this patented before evil Burger King/Five Guys/McDonald’s/Wendy’s steals this idea…

4. Raiders757 says:

This combo sounds pretty crazy, but I’m intrigued. This sounds like a great grilling experiment, which would kick this idea into outer space. If it’s tasty with using a fast food burger, fast food grade bacon(thank you BK for finally upgrading), and a microwave, I can only imagine how awesome it would be making it from scratch.

I can prepare the bacon in my cast iron skillet, slap some ground beef patties together, and grill them over charcoal(because gas is for amateurs) with a dash of hickory wood. The trick would be in finding the perfect mix of maple syrup and peanut butter.

Oh yea, I’m going to give this a try sometime this week. Thanks for the heads up. Count me in on trying this combo, but since I have some time on my hands right now, I’m skipping the dollar menu and going all in.

Cheers!

5. Thomas says:

If I can state my opinion.

I personally don’t like these creation posts as much as reviews. I guess it doesn’t matter because people will always come, but it seems to break away from what I believe this site is.

• Sandy says:

Seriously??? Blog cop, huh? Unbelievable.

• missouri says:

Noted.

Don’t read it next time. There is a category tag next to the title – should the word “Homemade” show up there in the future then move on.

Problem solved.

For the rest of us who live our culinary lives vicarously through Adam’s adventurous mash ups, please keep ‘em coming.

6. TehBuLL says:

This may be a preference thing but maybe…throw some red onion on there? A little crunch, some tang would add to the sweetness.

• ljay says:

Bingo – exactly what I was thinking when I saw the photos. You need some onion to cut some of the salty, sweet richness.

7. Manavee says:

I tried a peanut butter burger once in South Carolina (it was the place’s specialty burger) and did not care for it at all. For me, it just seemed like the peanut butter dominated and distracted from any of the other flavors.

8. Kayleigh says:

I think this needs something spicy to cut the fatty richness of this burger. Some jalapenos or sriacha would go awesome on this!

9. Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Judging by the other comments on this thread, someone should try this with a habanero onion relish.

10. Lindsay says:

Wow! I’m from Northern Iowa and I’ve never heard of this Minnesota speciality. Interesting to say the least…. :) The bacon does look quite good for fast food!

11. Have lived in MN my whole life…. what am I missing? What’s a “goober” burger?

• Troy says:

Goober Burgers are definitely not from here in MN, I think they’re more out in the eastern end of the Midwest. We specialize in the Jucy Lucy up here/

12. Gottfried Mind says:

Been eating peanut butter cheeseburgers for 20+ years…..

Scotty’s Brewhouse serves them locally here in Indiana.

From Scotty’s web site: “the shewman special
    what? we thought that too, until we tried it. delicious. half pound, hand-pattied, grilled burger, peanut butter, jalapeños, cheddar cheese and bacon. 10.50″

Yeah – They’re that good.