Food News: Taco Bell Breakfast Coming Next Week

Who’s ready for (drumroll, please) breakfast from Taco Bell? The breakfast menu (aka FirstMeal), which is set to debut Thursday, January 26th has been testing in Southern California for the last few years and will feature families of fast-food sounding items like a bacon and egg burrito, as well as some more “exotic” offerings like Cinnabon Delights (fried dough with creme filling).  FirstMeal will be available in 10 Western states.

According to the Orange County Register, items will range between 99 cents and $2.79.  There will be a total of 11 featured breakfast items on the Taco Bell FirstMeal menu.

UPDATE:

The menu includes 11 new products (listed with recommended price points below), featuring four of America’s popular breakfast brands: Johnsonville, Tropicana, Cinnabon and Seattle’s Best. FirstMeal will be offered in 10 Western states, including California, Arizona and Colorado, with participating restaurants opening their doors and drive-thrus one hour earlier. For most locations, that means 8 or 9 a.m., with breakfast ending at 11 a.m. local time.

Like all Taco Bell items, FirstMeal is made to order and completely customizable, which means it could be ordered “Fresco Style” if desired, which replaces cheese and sauce with our Fiesta Salsa.

Sausage & Egg Burrito   ($.99)
Bacon & Egg Burrito     ($.99)
Steak & Egg Burrito     ($1.99)
Grande Skillet Burrito  ($2.79)

Johnsonville Sausage & Egg Wrap ($1.79)
Hash Brown      ($.99)
Cinnabon Delights       ($1.49)

Seattle’s Best Coffee   ($.99 large)
Iced Coffee Mocha       ($1.99)
Iced Coffee Vanilla     ($1.99)
Tropicana Orange Juice  ($1.49)

Combos (includes Hash Brown and Beverage)
Steak & Egg Burrito     ($3.99)
Two Classic Burritos    ($3.99)
Johnsonville Sausage & Egg Wrap ($3.99)

54 comments on “Food News: Taco Bell Breakfast Coming Next Week

1. Jonathan Corriere says:

Can’t wait for those prossed eggs and 1,000 milligrams of sodium

2. Jonathan Corriere says:

Looking forward to those processed eggs and 1,000 milligrams of sodium to get me going in the morning

3. Malcolm says:

My wife, on hearing the news: “So, they’re just going to add powdered egg dust to all of those horrible burritos?”

4. Chefprotoss says:

boooo =/

5. Ryan says:

Looks like the breakfast will be available in 750 locations… which is something around 12% of locations in the U.S I think.

6. Manavee says:

I’m going to pass until the XXL Quad Cinnabon Delight comes out. Thanks, though.

7. Karl says:

Don’t be stupid, Taco Bell! Don’t simply fall in line and do what all these other fast-food chains are doing. You can change things. You can lead a healthy revolution. You can encourage America’s youth to change their views on breakfast and encourage a nutritious start!

Stop being so endlessly greedy and focus on America’s WEIGHT problem!

• Dan says:

Why don’t you not be so stupid Karl. Americans should focus on their own weight problem, it’s not up to companies like Taco Bell. If you’re fat and you don’t like it, don’t eat crap food and maybe exercise a little.

• Manavee says:

You do understand that there is a demand for this type of food, correct? If no one wanted unhealthy food, Taco Bell wouldn’t supply it. If there was a huge demand for healthy food, Taco Bell would certainly supply it.

Your wrath should be directed at the consumer whose more than ample demand for non-healthy food drives these companies’ decisions, not the other way around.

If you think there is a vast untapped demand for healthy fast foods, then this would be an opportunity for you to invest your own money (or your investors’ money) and open a restaurant to meet those unmet demands. If you’re right, you’ll make millions and millions. If you’re wrong, you’ll be broke. The consumer and what they want will decide.

• Raiders757 says:

The only weight problem they’re concerned with, is how fat their wallets are. It’s the American Way.

8. Toni says:

Blah blah complaints complaints – you don’t see me complaining about your overpriced grass hippie food do you? If you don’t like taco bell, don’t eat there. It’s affordable, tasty food for people who don’t have, or don’t want to spend big bucks on breakfast. Quitcherbitchin’!

• Chefprotoss says:

I love taco bell. This sounds awful though.

• alexg says:

Ok, Chipotle, it’s now your “hippie” turn to create a breakfast menu consisting of natural unprocessed food that will be nutritious as well as tasty. I know you can do it and when you do there will be lines of fatties and hippies buying your product.

9. Kevin says:

This is bizarre.

10. Lisa says:

hahah well I wonder how well this is going to work. Although, those cinnabon delights sound pretty good :P

11. JeetJeet says:

my god. I didn’t expect this from Taco Bell

12. Bob says:

Now, with 25% more explosive diarrhea

13. Murray says:

Well, there goes my chance of staying under 200 lbs.

14. TJ says:

I think these items sound pretty good, but I doubt they’ll be very popular. I remember how hard Burger King was pushing their breakfast stuff a while ago, and it seems like McDonald’s still crushes them.

That sausage and egg wrap actually looks great to me, but it’s gotta be terrible for you. I wouldn’t expect anything different with sausage though.

15. Ryan says:

Get ready for the worst Taco Bell diarrhea you’ve ever had.

16. Raiders757 says:

I can understand TB wanting a piece of the breakfast pie, but this kind of reminds of my younger days when bands would release a semi-live vinyl album as some sort of money grab thanks to the success of “Kiss Alive”. Eventually everyone was doing it, and there was a lot more bad than good to be had.

When I think of TB, I think of a cheap lunch, or a late night munchies destination after closing the local watering hole down at 2:00AM.

When I crave a fast food breakfast, I think of Hardee’s, Bojangles’, and McDonald’s. I’ll also give a nod to BK’s Croissan’wich, which I’ve always had a soft spot for, despite the horrible bacon. Hardly worth the full asking price, but when they used to have the two for one Croissan’wich sales, they hit the top of the list. Love the Sonic Breakfast Toasters as well.

I do, however, enjoy tasty breakfast goodies rolled up in a flour/corn tortilla, so I am sure my curiosity will get the best of me if my local TB’s eventually add breakfast to their menus. I’m known for taking my surplus Mexican staples and whipping up my own Americanized Mexican flavored breakfast at times, so I’m always game to try a fast food version as well. Obviously I wouldn’t hold TB to the same standards, but in the end, I’m sure I’ll go back to the same old train of thought when it comes to fast food goodies in the morning.

17. Mitchery says:

I cant wait to eat everything on that menu!

18. Thomas says:

Wow Oklahoma has had this for awhile, almost feels like more than a year unless I am crazy.

The only thing I have liked is the more expensive steak and egg one. I haven’t tried that skillet grande or whatever though.

19. [...] SOPA and PIPA, Taco Bell is set to launch their breakfast menu this coming week, complete with “exotic fried dough with creme filling”, and to top it off, the legendary singer Etta James died today. [...]

20. ljay says:

I’ve always wondered why KFC didn’t do breakfast.

They’ve got chicken. They’ve got biscuits.

Sounds like breakfast to me.

21. angela says:

Well, I AM fat, and I have never been stupid enough to eat that kind of crap. Restaurant food has never been good for you, and I think breakfast and diet aids were both invented to make lots of money off fatties by keeping them that way.
    For centuries people got up and did hours of hard labor with no meal until about 11 am. There were only two meals a day if you were lucky. Does anybody miss that? There are still some countries where folks are starving, maybe we could send it there!

• Thomas says:

You are clearly in the wrong place then.

First clue, get off the internet.

• Lindsay says:

Breakfast has its place when proper nutrition is used. Fruit, whole grains, etc. I highly doubt breakfast was created by the restaurants to keep people fat.

I still have my vice, Egg McMuffins, occasionally. Why? Because I like them. Doesn’t mean I eat them everyday. I maybe have them once a month.

• angela says:

Lindsay,
        I see what you mean. I don’t think it is a conspiracy, I just feel that 3 meals a day is unnecessary for adults, and I was saying that one can be overweight, and still not be eating these things. I appreciate your answer. I gained a ton of weight from birth control and lost half of it, and the other half is soo stubborn. It was refreshing to read your post and I would agree that an occasional indulgence makes little difference. While people rail against Taco Bell they forget that it was the first QSR (fast food) to put produce on the paper plates!

• Jade says:

Actually breakfast is proven to help weight loss, and functioning without a good breakfast in the morning is not fun! It just means more snacking. Most of the day’s calories, especially protein, should be had at breafast and lunch. Regarding weight loss, I found that I did best on several (about 6) small healthy meals a day. If you find it hard to shift weight on 2 meals a day, maybe increase the nmber of meals – your body will NOT let you lose weight if it thinks you’re starving. The secret to weight loss is to not go hungry (filling up on low GI food) :D Good luck, and sorry for the essay.

22. CulinaryZerg says:

Why do they market scary sounding crap like the sausage egg wrap and fried Cinnabon things? It’ll turn people off like the Nacho Crunchwrap Supreme.

If they just marketed a superior breakfast burrito, which EVERYONE loves, people will stop by Taco Bell on their way to work or wherever.

23. rob says:

Same stuff they sell for lunch except with highly processed egg-like products in them. I would rather they just make their regular menu available at 6 am.

24. Dan says:

I eat Taco Bell maybe once a week, and for the rest of the week I eat very healthy food and exercise regularly. So it ends up working out that I’m a healthy weight. I love Taco Bell.

25. Crysta says:

More crappy breakfast choices. Joy. None of it looks all that tasty either, and their hopes of competing with Chipotle with the new “Cantina menu” are silly too.

I don’t trust Taco Bell to make anything decent anymore. Around here, they’ve started severely under-filling everything while raising the prices by 20% or more. For the money I pay there, I can go to Blue Coast Burrito and get not only more food but BETTER food. I don’t mind eating fast food, but when I’m paying the same price at the fast food restaurant as the fast casual/sit down places… I’m going to a fast casual or sit down place. :|

26. Bryan says:

Many Taco Bell’s in the Dayton, OH area had breakfast for a while in the past two years. The items are cheaper for the most part than places like McDonalds. The burritos are actually surprisingly good, especially the Bacon & egg one for 99 cents. I actually went out of my way in the morning for those. The skillet burrito isn’t bad either for the price. The cinnabon bites are overpriced for what they are and the sausage egg wrap just wasn’t that great. Really not a bad stop for a quick cheap breakfast though.

27. Justin ST says:

Ever had Moe’s Southwest breakfast? I had it in the Atlanta airport one time. Ohhhhhh, to die for! The guy at the counter was a jerk, but it was really good.

28. Obbop says:

Over the years I have delightfully devoured numerous McD’s breakfast burritos.

Quickly purchased and eatable while caroming off other vehicles while hurtling down the highway.

Sadly, attained an age where the Old Coot label is appropriate.

The aging abused digestive tract is happier with gruel and other extremely bland fare.

That and dietary restrictions to minimize calories and carbs has resulted in allowing delightful-to-my-ancient-taste buds to slaver in delight so seldom with vittles such as breakfast burritos, bacon egg and cheese biscuits, a plain basic sausage biscuit, etc.

Sniff. Sob.

Old age sucketh so bad.

The impending eternity of no-eating, perhaps even longer than an eternity…. maybe even pert-near forever… doesn’t seem so bad if lingering in life with pablum and gruel and pureed peas is awaiting for meal after meal.

Excuse me as I wipe away the tears dripping down my chubby cheeks with some entering the toothless gums and the others dripping off my chin.

Concentrating on maximizing the yumminess of breakfast burritos and ensuring they are handed over with a minimal wait time and kept at a price low enough for the growing herd of low-income humanity to afford MAY result in Taco Bell in bringing in enough income to satisfy the greedy corporate hierarchy’s lust for bonuses while doing all they can to minimize the pay received by those performing the actual work that results in customers handing over money.

29. Jeff in Middletucky says:

Thanks for giving the impression in the headline that this was a national, and not a regional, rollout.

30. Lindsay says:

I think the Cinnabon bites with creme look yummy. But, I’m a fan of creme filled products. No, that wasn’t a euphemism. :)

31. Aaron says:

Does no one remember that Taco Bell used to have a breakfast menu? It was actually better than the junk at McD’s or BK, so I won’t write them off too early. I really don’t like much fast food breakfast choices, but breakfast burritos might be ok. Hell, they’re going to be healthier than the breakfast sandwiches from their competitors and at least they know how to make burritos, so this shouldn’t be a stretch. I tried a breakfast burrito from BK once – a sausage patty cut in half and stuffed in a tortilla with some fake cheese sauce and eggs… gross. I’m thinking Taco Bell would do better than that.

I’ll try it once or twice and go from there.

32. Chefprotoss says:

Burn more calories than you eat. Make sure you get calories from the right sources. You will lose weight.

Also, we didn’t eat breakfast because it wasn’t an option, not because of some conspiracy to later be created by ray crock or something.

• angela says:

@Chefprotoss-Exactly! I had never said breakfast was invented by restaurants or was a conspiracy, I had said people had to live on two meals a day for a long time. most people don’t realize breakfasts are modern adaptions of lunch or dinner foods. Like in Israel, breakfast is a salad!

• Chefprotoss says:

We shouldn’t forget that the average human lifespan was like 35 until a couple centuries ago either.

• Mark says:

This is a commonly held false belief, but your point is understood. Human lifespans take into account fatalities at birth. Once we became more sophisticated, medically speaking, we suddenly had this enormous increase in lifespan. Also, you need to take into account many other variables.

So, try not to forget this in the future.

• Jade says:

People on 2 meals a day were often malnourished. Middle class Victorians ate a huge, meat-based breakfast (far more calorific than Taco Bell) yet were much healthier than modern day middle class people in the West. Eating a lot isn’t a problem if you burn it off – exercise and eating nutritious food (not necessarily low-fat) is more important for weight loss/healthy weight than the amount of calories you eat.

In a nutshell, a Taco Bell breakfast won’t kill you as long as you burn those calories off somehow.

33. [...] Taco Bell’s First Meal menu is made up of 11 new products, which includes coffee, orange juice, breakfast burritos, sausage and egg wraps, and Cinnabon Delights (fried dough balls with cream filling). Our friends over at Grub Grade have more information about the menu and pricing. [...]

34. I haven’t eaten at Taco Bell in over 4 years.. my stomach pretty much boycotted it. Even the bean & cheese burritos make me sick.. I mean, how the hell are you gonna fuck up a bean & cheese burrito? I am pretty certain I could have a hobo cook me up a burrito on a make shift skillet with a can of beans, and string cheese.. and I wouldn’t get sick from THAT.

On the side note, I will be stopping in to try those cinnabun things. My inner fat child is a crack feen for cinnabun.. BUUUUT… taco bell, you have still not won this battle.

35. [...] Taco Bell’s First Meal menu is made up of 11 new products, which includes coffee, orange juice, breakfast burritos, sausage and egg wraps, and Cinnabon Delights (fried dough balls with cream filling). Our friends over at Grub Grade have more information about the menu and pricing. [...]

36. Scott says:

Holy God I tried all of these last week and this was easily the biggest failure into the breakfast market ever. It was horrible. Everything was crappy, bland, and tasted fake. Taco Bell has so much good stuff on that expo line at their disposal. Why didn’t they use any of it?!

Anyways I know Wendy’s is planning on getting into breakfast nationwide this year at some point. I sure hope they do a better job.

37. Marc says:

I discovered cinnabon delights one morning after an abnormally late night when I was getting in at 9am. They are amazing. I was summarily crushed to learn that they are only served for about three hours a day. Taco Bell typically being a 2am affair, I fear that I shall never taste them again. This is my story.

38. andrew holland says:

I eat at taco bell every morning and i like the steak and egg burrito. Im underweight.. hoping to gain as much as possible. hope this helps

39. […] breakfast is something that has been reserved for the western part of the country.  There was a slight expansion back in early 2012 that had me believing that perhaps it would have a wider release some day. […]