Wendy’s Black Label Hamburgers

2011 saw the debut of the W Burger and Dave’s Hot ‘N Juicy Cheeseburgers from Wendy’s.  Here’s a glimpse at what is coming down the pipeline for 2012.  Black Label Hamburgers from Wendy’s have been spotted in test market Wichita.

We’ll keep you updated with news and pics as they come.

From GrubGrade reader Steven in Wichita:

I just ate at my local Wendy’s here in Wichita and noticed they had two new sandwiches. A “Black Label” burger available in Bacon Portabella and Spicy Santa Fe varieties. I had the Bacon Portabella which consists of a mushroom sauce on the bottom bun, a 1/4 pound beef patty, muenster cheese, 3 bacon 1/2 slices, a thick tomato slice followed by a different peppery sauce on the top bun. It is on the expensive side (not surprisingly) at over $5 for a single. Update: The Bacon Portabella single was priced at $4.89.

Update: The Spicy Santa Fe burger (not pictured) is $4.49 and consists of a bottom layer of guacamole, a 1/4 pound beef patty, pepperjack cheese, mixed salad greens pieces, thick tomato slice, red onion slices and lastly the cilantro jalapeno lime sauce on the top bun.

37 comments on “Wendy’s Black Label Hamburgers

1. John says:

Wendy’s has a test market here in Wichita? Hmmmm…. I should find out more about these.

2. Cecil says:

no picture of the burger? o.O who wants to see a box lol sounds good tho.

3. Jrdunn says:

Ssooo does this pair well with johnny walker black label or should i do a black and blue and go with the more premium johnny walker blue?

4. Adam says:

Wonder if it’s in Utah as well? They were testing out their future chicken sandwiches there last year, one of which I reviewed.

5. Justin ST says:

Wendy’s is getting ridiculous. It used to be a nice, traditional joint with food that knocked it out of the park. Now it’s turning into one big gimmick, like McDonald’s and Burger King. Dave is rolling in his grave.

• Kat says:

I don’t think Wendy’s wants to be anything like McDonald”s or Burger King. Their meat is at least not frozen, and they have interesting sides like chili and baked potatoes. The new thicker beef patties on their burgers are superior to McDonald’s and Burger King. Its fast food, don’t expect something from a Five Guys or a sit down place, unless you have the time to wait.

6. rob says:

$5 for a 1/4 pound burger?

• Keith says:

That’s not too bad if the ingredients really are as high quality as advertised. But I echo the sentiment that these places should stop being something they’re not.

• ALRUI says:

Thats the rub, the ingredients dont justify the cost, Id go to 5 Guys or In N Out and get a far better burger for the $ IMNSHO.

• Keith says:

It seems like what Wendy’s is trying to do is compete with Five Guys and INO at this price point. They’re implying that the beef is better, the toppings are better and they are using some unique ingredients that are not your typical fast food fare (and therefore more expensive).

But I agree with your comment below – if this is the hot n juicy patty, it’s a total rip off.

Wendy’s needs to stick to cheap food, they can’t have a foot in both the “national fast food chain” category and the “regional fast casual chain” category. They’re too different things and they’ll fail at both if they try since no one in their right mind would choose Wendy’s at this price over a competitor with higher quality standards.

• Robert says:

See, Five Guys can charge $5 for a burger because they have no giant dollar menu vacuum sucking their profits that they have to make up for. If there was no dollar menu, this burger would be $3.50 instead of $4.90. But if they got rid of their dollar menu, there would be mass riots. So they’re damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

7. ALRUI says:

The problem with Wendy’s & all of the other fast food joints is the meat SUX & Im beginning to question what the “meat” really is. If they dont use a higher quality patty then their “Hot N Juicy” patty then theres no way I would buy this burger!

8. Kayleigh says:

I actually really like the new Wendy’s burger patty. Wendy’s is probably my favorite of the big chains. The Santa Fe burger sounds great, I love guacamole on burgers. The nice thing is, at the Wendy’s I go to the produce is always fresh and I know the guac is passable from having it on the taco salad. So hopefully we get that up here soon!! :D

9. […] According to a Grub Grade post, the burger is being tested in Wichita, Kansas and comes in two varieties — Bacon Portabella and Spicy Santa Fe. The Bacon Portabella is made using a 1/4-pound beef patty, bacon, tomato, muenster cheese, a mushroom sauce, and a peppery sauce. […]

10. Carl’s Jr. was the first fast food chain to offer a Portobello Mushroom burger in 2005 and the Guacamole Bacon Six Dollar Burger was launched even before that. Looks like “upscale” takes a while to make it to the other chains…

11. rondoman says:

GOOGLE “pink slime” and find out the disgusting things that are really in our hamburgers we buy!!!

Disgusting!!!

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

“On December 24th, 2011, McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell quietly announced they would discontinue the use of Pink Slime in their products.[1] BPI officials said they still have other fast-food chains as customers but would not identify them.”

12. […] According to a Grub Grade post, the burger is being tested in Wichita, Kansas and comes in two varieties — Bacon Portabella and Spicy Santa Fe. The Bacon Portabella is made using a 1/4-pound beef patty, bacon, tomato, muenster cheese, a mushroom sauce, and a peppery sauce. […]

13. JF says:

Just say Burger Business has a story on this, crediting GrubGrade for breaking the news! Congrats on the additional exposure!

Still don’t see how these are much different than their other burgers aside from toppings (none of which appeals to me).

From earlier comments about 5 Guys, never been there (none out here in CO that I know of) but when I want my burger fix and have more time than a Drive Through, it’s Smash Burger for me.

I agree, these FF chains really can’t complete with the casual ones, and not sure why they keep trying. Just do one thing right, don’t try to be everything to everyone because you never will be.

If I want a great FF burger, it’s a Carls $6 burger for me (there might be better, but haven’t found it yet, or in the case on In N Out, none here, and the closet Steak N Shake is a good hour from me).

• CulinaryZerg says:

Where do you live in CO? There are tons. Most major cities and several in Denver. Just look it up on their website.

But with so many Smashburgers around, there’s just no need to go to a Five Guys, ever, IMO.

14. Zack says:

They must be testing these in my area (Columbus, OH) because I saw them on the drive thru board today. I ended up getting the bacon portabella burger…and to tell the truth, it kicked serious ass. One thing I have to gripe about though is that the burger was upside down in the box when I opened it…other than that though, it was way better than the W, and way better than the normal hot and juicys…those seem to give me heartburn.

15. Jake says:

Great burger had one in Cbus the other day….I Absolutely love the box….I can finally eat my sandwich with my fries and not worry about it ending up on the floorboard of my car…

16. Andy says:

Had both of these – the Bacon Portabella is delicious. The Spicy Santa Fe is OK, the guac needs more work IMO. In fact it might be better without it.

17. 4X4, Animal Style says:

Aha, from a Colmubus newspaper site, and an ad for these burgers, a nice big image of both of them, fantastic.

Finally we get to see what’s in the secret black box… and finally it’s something other than a piece of string and an embarrassing Christmas party photo from last year.

18. Greg B says:

Just had the Mushroom one and it was So So I prefer the regular hot n juicy double personally.

Columbus, Ohio

19. Nick says:

We have these in Athens, Ohio. The portabella one is delicious.

20. matthew Burkholder says:

I ate both these burgers and I have been to 5 guys, these burgers are as advertised! Actually its 5 guys that doesn’t compare. I love both these burgers and I personally hope they here to stay. Off the chain!!!

21. […] Spicy Santa Fe burgers are “in the very early stages,” said Wendy’s spokesman Denny Lynch. According to GrubGrade, the sandwiches cost just under $5 each and feature ingredients such as mushroom sauce, Muenster […]

22. Missy says:

The Wendy’s by my office here in Austin has a sign (not a pic) for a bacon guacamole cheeseburger? I wonder if this is the Santa Fe or something they made up?

23. Jason says:

I don’t normally eat fast food but recently tried the Bacon Portabella and it was delicious. Definitely a little expensive for fast food but I’ll get another the next time I take a break from the diet if it’s still around.

24. Amy says:

Why do they spell portobello like portobell”a” with an A?? That really bothers me or is there a reason behind it??

25. […] is testing its new Bacon Portabella and Spicy Santa Fe burgers in […]