Custom Fast Food: Fish and Chips

Not going to lie, the response last week hurt my feelings. Here’s something a little more, uh, traditional? Wednesday special McDonald’s $1.29 Filet-o-Fish with Mama Utz Kettle Chips cooked in lard. Fish and Chips, my way.

Clearly, there is a way to make a square fish stick, squishy bun, and steamed half slice of processed cheese better. See you next week, and don’t forget to check out Option Pitch and Waffle Pitch for future custom fast food showcases.

14 comments on “Custom Fast Food: Fish and Chips

1. SkippyMom says:

That looks like my kind of F&C! Yum.

Where did you find $1.29 Filet O Fishes. I want.

2. Kain says:

Well being from the UK…that looks nothing like our fish and chips :)

Still fish and crisps (as we call em)…Id try that!

3. Chuck says:

This was just too literal…

4. Thomas says:

Is this Wednesday special for every Mcdonal or just this one special store.

5. Crysta says:

Missing an L in your link there, Adam. ;)

I don’t care for the Filet-o-Fish, but the idea is pretty clever. I put potato chips on sandwiches all the time.

6. M86 says:

I’m a firm believer that plain potato chips on any sandwich is delicious. My favorite is on a good ol’ ham and cheese!

Also, I wonder why so much hate with the McLuther burger? I thought it looked scrumptious! :)

7. Jimmytheface says:

Needs ketchup.

• Keith says:

LOL, I was hoping someone would say it so I wouldn’t have to!

I love chips on sandwiches – they really provide a much needed crunch and texture. But the filet-o-fish is pretty gross in my opinion (and it’s featured in the currently-viral video S**t Nobody says, Google it).

I particularly like adding Sun Chips to Quiznos subs and onion rings to any sandwich I get at BK. Crunched up tortilla chips are also quite good in tacos and burritos. Kettle cooked are my favorite potato chip, and living in PA there’s no shortage of lard based chips. For all my whining about how things can be healthy to a fault at GrubGrade, I do try to avoid trans fats.

8. squishy says:

what she order?? FISH FILET

9. maynardb61 says:

Gortons has a new sandwich size fish patty. I bought a box for less than $5, buns for $1 (8 per pkg.), tartar sauce for a buck, and made 8 sandwiches. I keep sliced cheese on hand anyway. The Gortons was quite good. Enough tartar sauce left in the jar for a round 2.

• ljay says:

Yeah, it’s almost impossible to find a decent fish sandwich and your home made solution is as good as anything served up at FF places imo.

One change though is I always make the copycat red lobster tartar sauce. I’m not a fan of red lobster but I find their tartar sauce has a freshness that is hard to find anywhere else.

1/2 cup mayo
      1.5 tbsp of chopped onions
      1 tbsp of sweet relish
      1.5 tsp sugar
      1 tsp carrot chopped very fine
      1 small squeeze of fresh lemon

Mix and pop it in the fridge for a few hours. Mix again and serve.

Best tasting tartar around imo

If I’m eating a fish sandwich that someone else made, it is typically in a small dive where the food is cooked fresh like King Fish or even Boltons in Nashville.

I’m way off topic here…apologies Adam!

10. RC says:

‘Way To Go Adam.
    I Have Done It Upon PB, Chicken,
    Ham Sandwiches (God Help Me) (I Wanted To Do It Upon Fish).
    I Use Pringles “Rajin Cajun” (They Have Been Off The Market Locally
    For A While (6 Months)).

11. Lindsay says:

Yummmmm…I love salty chips on sammies. I’d never thought about adding some to a Fish O Filet, which are delicious BTW! Good idea!