Food News: Grilled Nuggets Coming to Chick-fil-A Kids Menu

Hats off to our friends at BurgerBusiness.com for bringing this one to our attention. It looks like Chick-fil-A will begin offering the grilled equivalent of Chicken Nuggets to their kids menus. A 4-count of the new nuggets will have only 80 calories (compared to 130 in the pressure-cooked ones), while the chain will also add applesauce to the kids’ side choices. No word on if the policy to swap out that toy for Ice Dream will be nixed, but obviously, Chick-fil-A is looking to keep the ball rolling on the changes many quick service providers have instituted to make kids meals healthier.

Personally, I think it’s great, but I question why it’s limited to kids only? The new nuggets won’t be featured as an a la carte item on the regular menu, and there’s no word if Chick-fil-A ‘healthier’ sides — like the side salad and fruit cup — will be offered as regular side choices instead of premium items. I’m all for setting a good example, but why not help set that example by giving mommy or daddy (or your fun uncle Adam) the same healthy choices at a non-premium price?

I suppose it’s a moot point, considering I’d be crazy to pass on my usual 12-count of “regular” Chick-fil-A Nuggets (read our review here). Not only my favorite fast food nugget, but also the healthiest of the fried versions.

16 comments on “Food News: Grilled Nuggets Coming to Chick-fil-A Kids Menu

1. SmoledMan says:

Chick-Fil-A is doing a favor limiting this item to “kids only”. Kids cardiovascular systems are still young and undamanged so they can take the abuse. Dad’s cardiovascular is already teetering on the edge of breakdown, so he has to eat a healthier meal like grilled chicken and hold the mayo, no soda, no fries.

2. LauraFizzPop says:

It is odd that they’re limiting to the kid’s menu, but maybe that’s just sort of the “test market” for them? I’m going to order them anyway since I eat like a tiny bird and would LOVE an even healthier option than the regular nuggets. Those sauces add some sinserious calories, so every bit helps.

Plus? Free toy for this 5 year old in a grown woman’s body. Sweet.

3. Thomas says:

I don’t think the calories are as important as the reduced fat. They have a lot to live up to though to beat the regular version.

• Rodzilla says:

How so? Peanut oil is a better oil than what most places are frying in. Further, reduced fat = reduced calories.

I’m wondering why this is a kid’s menu only item myself. I’ll still order from it to give them a shot.

4. Chefprotoss says:

Hmmm… I think they might be trying too hard with this one.

5. Crysta says:

Grilled nuggets just seems weird to me, lol. I’m sure they’d be great for the salads though, rather than the sliced patty you get now. Wonder if they’ll eventually offer that?

6. christian moore says:

at my chickfila we have on the cash registers picture to click for grilled nuggets the kids and adult meals so any place will do it you just got to ask even if you want a grilled spicy sandwhich and we have a applesauce button and on the kids meals for the toys we can ring up one with a kids cup or cone insted of the toy

7. Arsenio Billingham says:

I wonder if they will reduce their right-wing agenda/MSG levels.

8. Sascha says:

The link you provided does say that Chik fil’a will accommodate adults who want to try them. I want to try them.

9. TX Chicken Man says:

Hey y’all,

I’m a CFA owner/operator in Texas and to let you know – you WILL be able to order the grilled nuggets in any size that the regular nuggets are available in. Like Christian said, it will be easy for the team member to ring that up. I know that locally at our restaurant we’ll be letting our guests know that via Facebook page/other ways. Hope you enjoy!

10. TX Chicken Man says:

Hey y’all,

I’m a CFA owner/operator in Texas and, like Christian and Sascha said, they will be available in any size the the regular nuggets are. You just need to ask for them. Hope you enjoy!

11. Caleb says:

At the Chick-fil-a where I work, we have been doing Grilled Nuggets for a while. However, it isn’t advertised on the menu, but rather the customer must request it. This is a rare request though since often the customer ends up waiting for about 10 minutes for their Grilled Nuggets to be done. More common requests include customers asking for a “well-done” sandwich or “extra-crispy” waffle fry.

Because of the new addition (or advertisement) for Grilled Nuggets in Kids Meals, I assume it won’t take as long to order Grilled
    Nuggets as part of the adult combo (the number five 8-count or 12-count meal).

I am excited for our release of Spicy Nuggets! Which I’ve heard will be around this fall.

12. Shannon says:

I think it is smart of Chick-fil-A, like the article states, to tinker with the entree of the kids meal and not just the side items to offer a healthier kids meal.

13. M86 says:

If this is offered not as a kid’s item, like the above posters said, then I’ll probably give them a shot. Anytime there is a chance to possibly shave off some carbs or calories, I’m up for it. I rarely go to Chick-Fil-A… I do love their food, but I have my reasons for not giving them my $$$.

14. Wendy says:

I would like to know the Ingredients of the 4-piece 80 calorie nuggets. Thank You!