Custom Fast Food: McLuther Burger

A Cheeseburger is 99 cents at the McDonald’s around the corner from the Target where I spent the majority of my Christmas shopping. The same Target, I should mention, where a fellow can add a cool six donuts for $1.49 to that credit card purchase of egregiously priced Star Wars legos. The same Target, lest I forget, where the hustle and bustle of fighting over useless kitchen electronics and blu-ray players can cause said shopper to burn off an on-the-fly breakfast of fried white flour and sugar in quite a hurry.

Lunchtime approaches, and having taken one too many gulps from making merry in this frivolous pursuit of commercialism and handing over of stern-clad Andrew Jackson’s, a bit of economic restraint and damage control is in order.

Some say the perfect strategy for maximizing your McDonald’s Cheeseburger experience is to tease yourself with slow bites, carefully plotting your way to the epicenter of soft bun, beef, ketchup, mustard, onion, cheese and pickle. I say it’s to get creative, and allow sweet and savory to mingle in the curious mixture of melting glaze and melting cheese. Luther who? I’ve never known a Luther, but I’m glad to make the acquaintance of one Mr. McLuther.

22 comments on “Custom Fast Food: McLuther Burger

1. George says:

Something about donut and onions together makes me want to throw up.

2. Chefprotoss says:

I’d eat it.

3. marianne says:

Ugh … I agree … no donuts + onions …

• TJ says:

So I guess the way to go for you is to get the King Luther… I believe Burger King cheeseburgers don’t come with onions, just pickles.

Personally, I think I could handle the types of onions McDonald’s uses. Big chunks of onions would be a bit much, but not those little diced ones.

Good call to Adam on getting it without ketchup and mustard too, especially mustard. Not that they put much mustard on McD’s cheeseburgers anyway, but that also sounds pretty weird.

4. Manavee says:

You’re giving Dunkin’ Donuts ideas. Please stop!

5. Tracy says:

You are brave if it’s only the onions that get to you…. what about the pickle and cheese? Ewww!

6. Ub says:

I just threw up a little in my mouth looking at that picture. That’s all kinds of wrong

7. Cecil says:

This is a travesty to a real Luther Burger. Please ditch the McDonald’s garbage and have a real one. Make sure you grill the donut halves first to give them some texture, and assemble glazed side IN not out. Don’t forget the bacon. :D

8. Chuck says:

Come on bro- Luther Van Dross? You gotta know him- you’re from the DMV!

Was it awesome??

9. SkippyMom says:

Levels of wrong: 6 and counting

Chances of me ever eating that: Has hell frozen over yet?

Adam liking it: Good enough for me

Yikes that is nasty.

10. Lindsay says:

No. Just…..no. :)

11. Malcolm says:

I like this idea for a series, and have been thinking about a post that examines the possibilities inherent in those Taco Bell/KFC combo places. Thanks for the shout-out to my McDonald’s cheeseburger strategy, as well!

12. Jim says:

Maybe next time you could go for breakfast and get a saugage McMuffin and use the sausage with the donut.

13. Kevin says:

Custom Fast Food seems like a good idea if it’s good ideas. like the cluck double haha

14. Adam says:

Actually, I do plan on making custom fast food a regular feature for me. Next week’s is already set. I think you’ll find it a little more, uh, “safe.”

15. Rhi says:

I don’t know how I feel about this.

16. D'Oh says:

That donut looks amazing; wtg Target! But then.. you add in a cheeseburger (a McDonald’s one, at that /shudders) and it makes me weep.

However, this is an awesome idea, and I can’t wait to see more of these posts, Adam!

17. SmoledMan says:

Wouldn’t it have been better if Mr. Vandross had eaten healthy and still with us?

18. SmoledMan says:

I read that Luther Vandross went through 13 cycles of losing/gaining 100lbs – that did him in as much as the Luther Burgers.

19. Keith says:

I know I’m late to this post, but I have to step up and support Adam when I think he’s on to something. I love the idea of the fast food “mash up.” Taking mediocre items and putting them together to make something, hopefully, a little less gross than the sum of its parts. This is where using inferior food – like McDonalds hamburgers and Target donuts – can be best utilized.

No, this isn’t the amazing, from-scratch donut burger concoctions like the original Luther or what they serve at great minor league ballparks. But it’s an adventurous endeavor from Adam, who often insists he skips mayo because of the “unnecessary fat it adds.” Dude, you just replaced a burger bun with a donut! YES!

The idea of combining sweet and savory is understandably unsettling to many of you – many folks slog through a boring dinner just to get to the good stuff. You know, dessert – ice cream, cake, pie, pastries. But combining dessert and dinner? Now that is bold, and the ultimate reward for an adventurous eater in my opinion.

People scoffed at the idea of chocolate covered bacon and deep fried Oreos at one time – boy, were they wrong. The legendary Luther Vandross may not get excited about this version – but Adam took a gross, McDonald’s burger and turned it into something different….. er, perhaps not better, but something new anyway. Keeping the onion and pickle was a bold move. And I can respect that.

This is also a great way to keep old, boring fast food items fresh and interesting in the blogosphere. I’d like to see more fast food “mash-ups” in the future.

20. [...] Fast Food: Fish and Chips January 13, 2012 By: Adam Category: HomemadeNot going to lie, the response last week hurt my feelings. Here’s something a little more, uh, traditional? Wednesday special [...]