Got My New York Slice at Pronto Pizza

So my pizza options seemed limitless until I realized that I’m in midtown Manhattan on the Saturday before Christmas.  Has anyone experienced what that’s like?  I’m now back at home fighting the sickness that was surely provided by the millions of tourists who were all up in my face.  While perusing the Nintendo World Store, I felt the rumble of hunger growing stronger and I realized it was 2pm and that one piece of french toast at 8am just wasn’t enough.

48th street was where I spotted Pronto Pizza (it was within sight from the Nintendo store).  Later I realized, just like there are a plethora of “Ray’s Pizza” joints, there is more than one Pronto Pizza.

But anyways, it’s cheap, it’s greasy, it’s served on a paper plate… it’s a New York slice.  I’m no expert, but I assume this is your typical dime a dozen city pizza joints.  I went with a basic cheese slice and a pepperoni.

Throw in a bottle of water and you’ve got lunch for under $10.  Sure I was looking for recommendations and preferably a “must have” slice of New York pizza, it just wasn’t in the cards on this cold and overly crowded section of the busiest spot in the city (short walking distance from Times Square and Rockefellar Center).  Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.

10 comments on “Got My New York Slice at Pronto Pizza

1. Chefprotoss says:

Ever thought about reviewing video games Ryan? =P

2. Justin ST says:

Looks terrible. Go hard or go home. Maybe next time.

3. Rodzilla says:

The cheese looks like they were trying to make a margherita NY slice.

Sorry about your disappointing trip.

4. Jim says:

Thats a Margarita slice, not a slice of regular.
    Not much worthwhile pizza around Times Square, especially factoring in the Christmas crowds.

5. wrongway says:

That must be one appealing face you have. I’ve had people cough in my face, and I still went without a cold. I swear I could walk outside butt naked, dripping wet and not get sick. Good luck with your fight. My New York friends will probably make some recommendations for your next trip.

6. john says:

The pepperoni pizza looks a lot better then the cheese pizza.

7. Al Jolson says:

No decent food of any note around the Times Square area, you’ve either got to go south to the Village or north to Harlem. Wednesday’s is meatloaf day at Sylvia’s soul food on 126th and Lenox. Get it with a side of collard greens and mac and cheese. If that doesn’t knock out your cold try some Oxtail. If you’re still sick after all that you probably have SARS.

8. hortanz says:

I was actually here last friday and we got a good amount of pies from our caroling money. the pizza was actually pretty excellent – we got an actual plain pie and a pepperoni pie amongst others. I had one plain slice and one pepperoni slice and I have to say it tasted pretty good

9. Guest says:

What happened to Sbarro’s?

10. Ryan (not Grubgrade Ryan) says:

I was in that same area on Saturday. Walking up 5th Ave. from Rockefeller to the Apple Store was probably the most people I’ve ever seen on a single street in my life.