Where To Get My New York Slice?

I could easily just do some research to find out where to get the best slice while visiting NYC this weekend… actually I have.  Seems like more fun to get some input from the GrubGrade readers and ask you all where to get my pizza fix.  Surely I will take pics and write a little something on the pizza I end up grubbing on.  There are so many pizza places to choose from and I won’t try to limit myself to one borough as I’m well aware that Brooklyn seems to be the mecca of all things pizza.  The last time I was in New York City, I hit up the West Village in Manhattan to sample Numero 28.

Don’t get me wrong, Numero 28 was great pizza, but not what I’d consider a typical New York slice.  I’m looking for pizza sold by the slice that I’m sure to be folding and eating off a thin paper plate if anything.

So does anyone have any pizza slice suggestions for me?  Chances are I will be grabbing at least one slice from a couple of different locations.  And no I will not be hitting up Sbarro at Times Square.

30 comments on “Where To Get My New York Slice?

1. SkippyMom says:

Any place where you see a line late in the evening/early in the morning and it takes 2 paper plates to serve one slice. :)

I am so, so jealous. Enjoy!

2. The Know says:

Try Pizzeria 33 at 23rd and 8th ave. Get a margarita slice.

3. sean says:

Best slice hands down is Mariella Pizza on 3rd ave @ 16th st and go try Artichoke on 14th st b/w 1st and 2nd ave

4. Chefprotoss says:

Pizza Mart, Pizza Mart and Pizza Mart.

5. Jay says:

I’ll be in NYC for Friday. I find it so hard to eat anything in that city other than shake shack. Hopefully I can get a slice of pizza for breakfast, a burger for lunch, and a real dinner somewhere.

6. Drew says:

Di Fara in Brooklyn is the best, hands down… as long as you can handle the long lines and $5 slices ($25 pies)

7. Nick says:

Di Fara’s
    Ave J & 15th in Brooklyn.

Best classic New York slice and the man’s been making the pizzas himself everyday for the past 30 years

8. Rodzilla says:

“I’m looking for pizza sold by the slice that I’m sure to be folding and eating off a thin paper plate if anything.”

Sal & Carmine’s made Slice’s top 10..I’d opt for them.

9. Scott says:

Bleecker Street Pizza is solid if you’re near the West Village

10. stevenp says:

Artichoke is pretty darned good, esp. their margherita slice, although the artichoke is worth trying too (if you like artichoke dip, you’ll love this!) They have a few locations now: 14th St, meatpacking district, macdougal st in the village. Maffei’s on the corner of 22nd and 6th ave serves a killer slice. difara’s is overrated and NOT worth the time/hassle. Iggy’s on 1st Ave at 11th St serves an awesome cheesy slice. And if you want a transcendental burger experience (shake shack is good, but…) check out the burger and fries at the Brindle Room, E 10th St by Ave. A.

11. Ryan (not Grubgrade Ryan) says:

I’ve heard lots of good things about Grimaldi’s in Brooklyn near the Brooklyn bridge. I’ll be going there while I’m visiting NYC this weekend.

12. wlangenberg says:

I recommend Artichoke as well. I live near the 14th St location and love going there late-night with the rest of the drunken masses who are eating their slices while sitting on the street, as there’s no room to eat inside.

13. Keith says:

For me, you can’t beat coal-fired brick oven pizza from New York. And if I was just there for the day and could go to one place, I’d probably hit Lombardi’s. It may not be the best, but that’s up for debate – I’d say Lombardi’s is a great starting place and pizza by which all NY pizza should be judged.

That’s assuming you’re not going to Brooklyn – there’s a whole world of great pizza there too.

• Lau says:

Nest time I hit NYC, I’m heading to Lombardi’s. I heard service was hectic and place was packed but very well worth it.

• Scrape says:

Or if you wanna venture all the way out to Coney Island, Totonno’s is quite something. No slices though, whole pies only. Too bad their Manhattan locations closed. They cook with coal as well and it was mighty tasty.

14. Nalini says:

Pizza in the city (manhattan) is not that great unless its lombardis but thats brick oven pizza, the best pizza by the slice on a paper plate would be in brooklyn, best sicilian would be L&Bs at 2725 86th Street in brooklyn

15. Anthony says:

For me, Di Fara’s is good, sometimes very good, but isn’t worth the interminable wait in a line full of hipsters. If you want a true, NYC foldable slice, near No. 28, right down Carmine St. (close to 6th Ave.) is Joe’s Pizza. Served on two paper plates, and if you want to get funky, Dos Toros tacos is right next to that.

16. Charles says:

NY Pizza Suprema, I like the upside down slice, but the plain is great as well. Also, it’s right by Penn Station.

17. Leeroy says:

Grimaldi’s is pretty outstanding, but the original in DUMBO usually has 2-3 hour lines. There’s a second location in the Limelight Market (6th Ave and 20th St. I think) that’s just as good and almost never has a wait. Abitinos is a Manhattan chain that’s also pretty solid, and Amadeus on 8th and 31st is outstanding. Someone also mentioned Pizza 33 – never been to the Chelsea location, but the original on 33rd and 3rd is also good, as long as you can stand the drunken Murray Hillians…

18. somesteve says:

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.