Food News: Pork and Gravy Biscuit from McDonald’s

Some interesting signage from a McDonald’s breakfast menu board in Lynchburg, Virginia. Looks like the Ronald has starting promoting a Tender Pork and Gravy mixture on a “scratch made biscuit.” Maybe it’s news to me, but when did McDonald’s start baking biscuits fresh every day?

In any case, I’ve also heard a radio advertisement to go along with the new item, which retails at $1.99, or $3.39 as part of a combo meal. Not sure if it’s just a regional southeastern promotion or a test at this point, but we’ll keep you updated when we get more details.

24 comments on “Food News: Pork and Gravy Biscuit from McDonald’s

1. Lylat says:

Scratch made biscuits? yeah… they can do a better job with that line as for the biscuit of interest i need to give it a try from the picture it looks really good well if it ever comes to NJ that is.

2. Rlschur says:

Says $3.39 for the combo on the board, not $2.99…

3. Sascha says:

I HATE fast food breakfast. I would try this, though.

4. Roger C. says:

I’d love to have this. Yum. Pork must be cheap or something now.

5. Matt says:

This needs to be a nationwide thing, immediately. Sounds great. McD could use a few new breakfast sandwich items.

6. larry says:

I think scratch made and fresh made are two different animals. And didn’t Hardess have a pork chop and gravy biscuit two years ago?

• Crysta says:

Around here they had it as recently as last year, but it’s since been removed from the menu. Shame, really, because it was really tasty!

• Zachary Jacob Zblewski says:

Well the sign in the photo does say “made fresh every morning”.

• larry says:

True, but it doesn’t say which morning.

Given the testimony of the two McDudes below though I will admit that it has been since, well, never since I had a McDonalds biscuit so I would of course defer to their insider knowledge on this issue.

7. Chris says:

Most of the southeastern McD franchises (at least in NC/SC) have scratch made biscuits. McD corporate tried getting them to use pre-made but that would never fly here in the south.

Frozen biscuits are gross…

8. Greg B. says:

In the southern states the biscuits are indeed scratch made. I know this from being a former Manager In Virginia and South Carolina. You can tell the difference between those and the frozen ones in taste and size (depending on who’s making them)

The gravy is also nothing new, but I guess they are trying it in different markets now. Peppery and actually quite good, unless they’ve changed the recipe.

9. Adam says:

FYI, the southeastern Micky D’s also seem to have a McChicken Biscuit value priced at a buck.

10. chakrateeze says:

Yes, McDonald’s make their biscuits every day. They have a ‘biscuit lady” whose only job is to make biscuits. At least they did when I worked there back in the ’80′s.

11. Jade says:

I don’t understand why more fast food places take advantage of pork/pork products other than bacon and other than at breakfast time – it’s cheap, tasty, popular and goes with a lot of other ingredients. I’d love an Italian style burger topped with pepperoni, mozzarella, marinara sauce and peppers and onions.

• larry says:

Or how about a brat biscuit? Maybe a little caramelized onion and some stone ground mustard..?

Sounds good.

• Jade says:

A sausage patty with a slice of cheese with onions and mustard would make a great value menu item, and imo all value menus should do a BLT. It seems so obvious when fast food places have all the items on hand anyway, and it might get them to use better bacon :) I’m sick of $4 burgers that are plain boring and every place just seems to do the same toppings. I love classics like a Western burger but some variety would be good.

12. Lindsay says:

Ugh….I’m from Iowa and I hate pork products. Except bacon. :)

13. Chris says:

I currently work at a McD’s in North Carolina and can attest that the biscuits are made fresh every morning and we do have a lady whose single job is to make them.
    I would also like to point out that this is essentially a breakfast McRib. The same meat patty is used for both sandwiches. We have also had this for a few years now, but maybe it is becoming a wider spread option. It won’t last long though, as once the McRib is gone, it is as well.