GrubGrade Confessions: This is what happens when…

…there’s a Jerry’s Subs & Pizza next to a Popeyes that’s next to a Checkers and your name is Ryan and you lost your self control one day.  Go ahead and judge, there are no innocent grubbers out there 100% of the time.

Oh and I also matched a Deep Dish Chef’s Choice Pizza with a Thin Crust BBQ Chicken Pizza from Uno Chicago Grill on some other bad day.  Hey it was a decent take-out deal so cut me some slack.  Don’t be too harsh, there were leftovers… but it was breakfast :(  I’m here to accept your intervention comments.  Or if you need to get some shameful piggish moments out in the open, I’m here to listen.  Welcome to the GrubGrade confessional.

15 comments on “GrubGrade Confessions: This is what happens when…

1. Susie D. says:

Well I went home to philly for the first time in 6 years this past weekend and ate a cheeseteak & fries followed by a cream filled donut for one meal, but I can get away with it because I’m a size zero. No regrets.

2. larry says:

Yep, I’ve been known to hit a 5 Guys and then grab some Popeyes for dessert. Never have had much of a sweet tooth.

…and purchasing extra pizza so there is some for breakfast is a given at our house.

3. Alex K. says:

I’ve partaken in two different fast food places at once. It helps a nearby town has KFC, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, Nathans/BR/DD, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Subway, Boston Market, BK, Checkers and a few pizza and chinese places all near the main intersection in the town. There was also a Roy Rogers but it closed last winter :(

I’ve done at least Wendy’s/TB, BK/TB and Nathan’s/TB.

And a famous actress has done the same in the same town :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eRhvjol-N8 : Julianne Moore explaining her predicament on Letterman

4. Aimee says:

We’ve all been there, Ryan. A dark summer night, not sure what you want, but still hungry. You get a Caramel Apple Empanada from Taco Bell, then while driving by Wendy’s you realize you need a Frosty to dip the empanada in.

You come home & your friend on IM asks you how it tastes & you’re like. “Mind-blowing. Omg. Don’t tell Rob I am cheating on him with pie. :(

Not only would I never judge you for this, I’m going to give you a high five. Well played, Ryan. Well played.

5. Todd says:

As someone who is trying to lose weight (for health reasons) and has had very little fast food in the last month I say….you the man!

6. Dan says:

Would a larger than necessary sampling of Wendys, Subway and Krystal make the cut? It did make for an interesting dinner.

7. J.A. says:

I want to eat all of that for one meal…but really it’d be a bunch of small meals. Damn you Crohn’s for intervening in a pig out.

But, no worries Todd I too am on a diet and the only fast food I’ve had in about 6 weeks was today with a grilled chickfila sandwich, which sucked in comparison to it’s fried sibling.

Also, I’m a proponent of the KFC/Taco Bell combo, but it’s in the same building so not sure if it counts.

8. Chefprotoss says:

Is Jerrys any good? I’ve been hearing their radio commercials for years but never tried them.

I eat at like five restaurants in an hour or so whenever I’m in NW DC. Why all quick serve restaurants can’t reach the bar set by Ben’s, Amsterdam Falafel, and Pizza Mart really grinds my gears. That is my first confession. My second is being a snobby local foodie. Twice since Pizza Mart was on travel channel I have seen non-locals taking food pics and I rolled my eyes and complained loud enough for the non-locals to hear about how no one cared when pizza mart was a hole in the wall except US locals. And then I would drunkenly ramble on about how cool DC used to be before the outsiders came in. I am sorry. I am a hypocrat and I have a problem.

9. Murray says:

Once, in a beer-induced attempt at comedy, I ordered the “Left Side of the Menu” ala Mr. Creosote in The Meaning of Life. The lady behind the counter at White Castle didn’t really get it, so I had to just order it one by one: I’ll have a hamburger, a cheeseburger, a bacon cheeseburger…I really wanted Ted Knight to say “You’ll have nothing and like it.” It came to like $7. You know you’re eating too much when you spend $7 at WC and you haven’t ordered any fries or a drink.

Then one time, I completed the chicken shape trifecta by eating Chicken Nuggets (McD’s) for lunch, Chicken Fingers (BK) for dinner and a late night snack of Chicken Rings (White Castle).

10. Natalie says:

Whenever I go back to Georgia to visit it’s a non-stop fatty eat-a-thon for me now. Every meal has something fried and delicious it seems. I have to hit chain favorites not available in the state I live in now- Chick fil A, Zaxbys, Waffle House and Steak n Shake. Local southern places for macaroni, BBQ and fried chicken. On top of that I have to get my mom to make my favorites from when I was a kid. Last summer when I was home I went to a big southern buffet with my grandmother…it was the type of place that had chicken and dumplings as a soup on the salad bar. I wanted to cry from the deliciousness.

11. wrongway says:

Are you going to do a review of the chicken bites that I think I see from Checkers?

12. Katie says:

I will not deny that in my trips down South, five meal or six meal days are not uncommon. Breakfast happens at a joint with the typical fixings (biscuits required), followed by lunch at whatever place I want to test out (typically not Southern cuisine), followed by one or two visits to Bojangles and Chick Fil A (or both at the same time…or within several hours of each other). Then dinner at a restaurant (again, not typically Southern), followed by late night snacking at the restaurant of choice for some drinks and *insert sport here*.

So yeah. I don’t normally eat 6 meals in a day…however, when a Bojangles and a Chick Fil A are right around the corner…why deny the gloriousness that is one right after the other?

13. DHL says:

When I was still in college (not a stoner) and was home for the summer I ordered and ate a 15 piece KFC family meal in one sitting, including the chocolate cake. Another time again home from college (weird I can not eat like that anymore) I ate a 3 lb steak followed up with a pint of ice cream. I was 145lbs at the time and 5′ 8″.

14. DHL says:

Forgot I’ve mostly recently made a breakfast run from McD’s & BK for a variety of value breakfast sandwiches. Oh the shame and 30 lbs heavier then college.