Updated “While I’m Out” With Some Tasty Pics

…including the new Steak & Cheddar Panini and Lemon Orzo Soup from Panera.  Check out “While I’m Out”.

13 comments on “Updated “While I’m Out” With Some Tasty Pics

1. Jesse J. says:

Thanks for this tantalizing snapshot. I’m now looking down at my Subway sammich in disappointment…

2. Matt says:

I was really excited about this sandwich but it was very underwhelming the two times I had it. The first time, I asked the cashier what was on it. She said crispy fried onions, steak and cheese. She did not mention the horseradish sauce, and I severely dislike horseradish. Also, they were not crispy fried onions, they were sauteed red onions (red onions should never be cooked, in my opinion). I gave it another try on a later visit, with the modifiers correct. But the steak tasted like it was microwaved (probably was) and it was very greasy. Panera’s cold sandwiches are infinitely bettee than their hot sandwiches. I’ll stick to the Bacon Turkey Bravo. The broccoli cheese soup is also great!

• Ryan says:

I’ve had it twice… yeah I don’t know why she said crispy fried onions when the description clearly states:

“Served on french baguette with seared top sirloin, caramelized onions, Vermont white cheddar & horseradish spread”

I loved it.

As for cold sandwiches, the Bacon Turkey Bravo is always a good choice… and the brocolli cheddar soup in a bread bowl is solid too.

• Matt says:

I believe she was confused with the Steak & Gorgonzola Salad that rolled out around the same time, which has the “frizzled” onions as Panera calls them.

3. Sara says:

The lemon chicken orzo soup is excellent. The lemon slices placed in the soup are very fresh and help infuse the flavor throughout the soup. I miss Panera’s summer special salad from last year (tomato mozzarella).

4. Chefprotoss or dan says:

This is right up my alley. Beef, good cheddar and horseradish. While I’m out is cool but this begs for a review ryan. For shame =P

Actually the pic is review enough. I am totally getting this.

5. @graciHas says:

That looks so good! What was the price?

6. Shannon says:

Lemon Orzo soup is amazing. The only problem I have is that when I get my soup, I don’t have a lemon slice in it.

7. Cami says:

I thought the Steak & Cheddar Panini sounded really good and it looked amazing in the picture. When I ordered it I was really dissapointed. There was just nothing to it. The one you have pictured above looks much better than what I got. I guess it just depends on who is making your food at the time.

• Adam says:

They can be so hit in miss. They tend to get slammed at lunches in certain locations, so that might be part of it. Have you ever seen their facebook page? It’s full of people posting pictures of crappily built sandwiches haha

8. Raiders757 says:

Lemon Orzo Soup? Never heard of it, so I had to look it up. That sounds pretty darn tasty, and might have to try to make some at home in the near future.

I also need to try Panera someday. We have had one down the road for years, and I have yet to step foot in the place. I always get distracted by Moe’s, or the Irish pub located in the same shopping center.

• Eric says:

Look up avgolemono soup — it is a legit Greek dish. Dunno if Panera’s is worthwhile, but when done right, it’s amazing.

9. Jill C. says:

To the question of the steak being microwaved- it couldn’t. PB’s don’t use microwaves for anything other than warming pastries when asked (and in my shop, customers have to do it themselves). The steak was heated when it went into the combo panini press/steamer that all restaurants installed about a year ago.