In My Pantry: Waffle Crisp

I’m a pretty opinionated individual when it comes to breakfast cereal. Notwithstanding the fact that I grew up on a steady diet of Honey Nut Cheerios and Smart Start, I make sure I begin each day with at least a serving of cold cereal. Eaten cold. With my fingers. Preferably from a box with a cartoon character and a game on the back of the box.

Never underestimate the value of a well stocked cereal pantry

Recently, however, I had a bit of a cereal epiphany. Opening my cupboard to several of the usual options (Crunch Berries, Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Golden Grahams, among several others) it suddenly struck me that I wasn’t as interested in their nutritionally insignificant yet simplistically nostalgic tastes. Those Lucky Charms, for instance. Call me paranoid, but I swear they’ve not only stopped adding sugar to the non-marshmallow pieces, but in fact taken a number of the marshmallows out. And Cinnamon Toast Crunch? It’s still good, but something in the less-sweet-than-I-recall base tastes oddly wholesome and, dare I say, much too healthy for a plump little french baker to have concocted.

In my pantry though, there is a solution for my cereal blues: Waffle Crisp.

Whole grains be damned, I want crunchy waffles

This, my friends, is a cereal that stubbornly refuses to update itself amidst calls for integration of more whole grains, elimination of additives, and decrease in sugar. If anything, Waffle Crisp remains the ultimate survivor kids cereal, and despite its hard to find status, is still being produced and sold. I’m fortunate enough to have a hookup at a local thrift store, and can thus enjoy opening a new box of the pancake syrup-smelling waffle pieces each week.

Sugary Shimmer - nothin better

I must recommend eating Waffle Crisp cold like a snack. It smells heavily of maple syrup and has that characteristic Post cereal mouthfeel (hint, check the fifth ingredient), while having the great distinction of over-the-top sweetness with a background caramel taste and hint of salt. There are no off flavors, and the crunch remains remarkably strong. In fact, the cereal resistance to sogginess – even in a completely exposed and open bag – is what makes it a real winner.

Really, is this dude not absolutely begging to be made into a plush toy?

Yes, there are probably better choices for breakfast, but  considering none of them come with a smiling waffle man, I’m thankful this is one cereal that hasn’t changed.

15 comments on “In My Pantry: Waffle Crisp

1. @graciHas says:

crap I haven’t had Waffle Crisp in so long…I wonder if they sell it at my local Giant. this reminds me, do they still make French Toast Crunch? Because that was friggin awesome too

2. Jesse says:

If one thing is going to make feel just a tad bitter for living in Canada, it is our inferior cereal selection compared to the US’ treasure trove of sugary, breakfast goodness. Especially the criminal lack of Waffle and/or Cookie Crisp.

I import cereal via the internet and have it delivered to work; i’ve earned the label at the office as that dude with the unhealthy obsession with Crunchberries.

3. Nick says:

I agree with you on the lucky charms. I had them for the first time in like 2 years and they just don’t taste as good as they use to. Something just seemed off and not as how I remembered them.

4. Tracy says:

It makes me laugh. Considering what a healthy eater you seem to be, I would have bet your pantry was stocked with Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, and bran flakes.

I use to love good sugar cereals. You got me craving Captain Crunch crunch berries!

5. Zachary Spence says:

Reminds me of Honey Comb.

6. Chuck says:

Waffle Crisp is possibly the greatest cereal ever. I think it’s only contest would be Oreo O’s. Neither of which, alas, I can find in grocery stores near me.

However, have you seen the new Cap’n Crunch cereal, All Berries? Talk about crazy!

7. VanessaG says:

I love Waffle Crisp!! I also agree that alot of the kid cereals I ate don’t take the same. When I was at my mamaws (grandma) house to visit, she’d always tell us to put some more sugar on our cereal cause they weren’t sweet enough. She would pour sugar on my Frosted Flakes!!! She was and will always be the best!

8. Lisa says:

oh man, i want waffle crisp nowwww. I love when it gets slightly soggy in the milk. WHY must it be covered with sugar?!? meh.
    i agree i think a lot of things have changed from when I was younger, and not for the better. like, if its gonna be a sugary cereal, let it be a sugary cereal. whatever.
    I was a pb capn crunch girl when I was little :)

9. Mehu says:

Waffle Crisp

Rice crispy TREATS cereal

Cookie Crisp

Oreo O’s

and Quaker O’s cereal are my favorites

once in a blue moon I get a craving for pebbles.. but it is rare

10. Henry says:

i grew up on bran flakes and cheerios. and mind you i adored them, being that i did not know any better. satisfying, nutritious, i preferred them both really soggy and pasty, just like a healthy mush.

but once i got a job and started exploring the cereal aisle with my own hard-earned lucre, i came upon these buttery, mapley minigrids, and my brain exploded into shards of crunchy waffle-miniatures.

waffle crisp is the single greatest edible invention since THERE ARE NO VIABLE COMPARISONS, SO DISTINCT and unique is this cereal product. whichever chemical they have developed which so accurately and convincingly recreates maple syrup, this is the tincture which should be sent up with the astronauts to comfort them in times of duress or loneliness — i’m sure it could survive the environmental stresses of the void of space.

and the salty, sweet crunch … a loud, satisfying compaction of each minisquare’s honeycomb-esque interior texture … there is no analogue in the canon of the sweetened cereals. waffle crisp stands alone as the boldest cereal ambition, and the most satisfying success.

i can no longer find it where i am, so reading about the accounts of others is sinfully vicarious ……

11. [...] be, but undeterred in my cereal conquests, I press on.I quote the Iron Chef: Let the battle begin!As I’ve let on before, the top spot in my cereal rankings currently belongs to Waffle Crisp. The Post brand breakfast [...]

12. [...] Frosted Flakes] [Count Chocula][Chocolatey Cap'n Crunch] [Chocolate Lucky Charms] [Waffle Crisp] [Cocoa Puffs Brownie Crunch] [Chocolatey Frosted Mini Spooners] [Honey Graham Trackers] [Cinnabon] [...]